Axon Speaker Kit

Rocket

Axon Speaker Kit
« on: 25 Jul 2016, 11:11 am »
Hi Guys,

Thought I would post a couple of photos of my speaker build process.  This kit is designed by a local company here in Perth, Western Australia, using Axon mid/bass drivers and tweeters.  I think the components were designed by Orca Design?  I also heard the Axon mid/bass drivers are built by Peerless in India.

I went to a wood working shop and paid an hourly rate to build these speakers. They cost far too much for me to build but I had a lot of fun.  Currently waiting to be stained and sprayed and then final assembly.  I laminated 2 x 12mm birch plywood which totals 24mm thickness.  I've sanded them back and just waiting for the enclosures to be finished as they will be done professionally.

Comments welcome.

Cheers Rod

Guy 13

Re: Axon Speaker Kit
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:33 pm »
Hi Rod.
nice work (In progress) and I am sure you are having fun doing some of the work yourself.
Keep the pictures coming, always interesting to see the progress in images.
Thanks.

Guy 13

srb

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:37 pm »
Comments welcome.

You can rotate photos in your Gallery

1. Gallery > Manage my albums
2. Select album
3. Click on image
4. Click Rotate right button at bottom right

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:55 pm »
Wow! Lookin good Rod! You are a very skilled woodworker. Getting those front and rear baffles to fit so tightly into a mitered box frame is not easy. With laminated parts no less! I don't think you could have chosen a more difficult method to build them, or a more pleasing appearance. Not bad for your first DIY speaker build! In a rented shop! omg  :thumb:

I love the end grain framing the front baffle. That will look very sharp when finished. Did the baffles fit inside the frame on the first try or after some fitment? I want to try to build like these on my next project!  Any tips how to fit the baffles into the frames so tight? I would probably sissy out and glue the sides to the baffle one at a time instead of fitting baffle into the frame afterwards. You are brave and skilled!

Looks to have a nice big box volume which will have good low bass, and the drivers are spaced as close together as possible. Good design! :thumb:  Is the crossover published on the web? Can you post a link to the kit? Thanks

I can't wait to see the look of the front baffles after finishing.

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2016, 01:38 pm »
Hi SRB,

I tried rotating the photos but I can't seem to get it to work.

Hi Richidoo,

I didn't really plan it this way as I thought a full baffle with biscuits to add to the strength would have been the way to go.  The wood work teacher suggested this method.  I used a table saw and an off cut piece of wood to make sure the height and width was pretty close.  I then used a hand planer and spent hours getting them to fit correctly.  The front and rear panels have cleats which are screwed to the side.  I was able to screw the front and rear panels for added strength.

I'll post some more photos once the finishing is completed.  The cost of speaker far out ways the components and my only regret is I didn't purchase higher end speaker kit.  It will be used for my HT as I'm giving my Nuforce S9's to my daughter as a house warming gift.

There isn't a link to the speaker kit sorry.

http://www.waraudio.com.au

Cheers Rod

srb

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2016, 01:41 pm »
I tried rotating the photos but I can't seem to get it to work.

But it did work!

I think you just need to refresh your browser a few times to see the changes.

(Photos #3 and #4 look like they are duplicates)

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2016, 11:42 am »
Hi,

Yes I see the changes now and your correct it is a duplicate.  I went to the wood shop today to look at some finishes for the speakers.  One was a clear lacquer mixed with a brown dye but on the sample wood looked like gold/brown to me.  Tried a walnut dye and then sprayed clear lacquer but the finished didn't look good at all.

Trying to come up with another clear lacquer/spray combination as clear lacquer looks quite bland on the speakers.  I should have them finished next week ready for assembly.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2017, 11:20 am »
Hi Guys,

Well its taken me a very long time but I've finished the axon speaker kit and I'm quite satisfied with the results.  They look good and sound great.  I sure wish I'd just bought a pair of speakers of this quality first time, without all the upgrades as it would have saved me a bundle.  They certainly don't sound as good as my Salk Sound HT3's but they do sound very satisfying.  I used an iMod and Virtue Audio amplifier with great results.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:42 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm going to commence another speaker kit project and this time I've hopefully ordered a better quality one.  The axon kit was good practise and does sound quite good but I want to go to another level.  I had a look at a number of products from Meniscus Audio but decided on one from Human Speakers.  The company story interested me and I decided to give them a try and just placed an order for a kit.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/diy/81.htm

I should be able to start the project in a couple of weeks.  Its a long way to ship from the USA to Western Australia.

Cheers Rod

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2018, 11:36 am »
One of my favorite speaker from that vintage, I liked the Genesis model, I suppose the EPI, Epicure, and now Human variations sound similar.  With drivers designed for it the simple crossover gave an intimacy to the presentation that you don't often hear anymore.  Keep us informed of your progress.