Introducing the AudioKinesis Thunderchild 115 bass cab

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
My little 112 cab now has a big brother:

This is the "wide body" version; there will also be a "compact" version that is a bit smaller.  Also coming soon is a composite cabinet version (fiberglass/foamcore) that will be lighter and, of course, more expensive. 

Here are the specs for the "wide body" version, as shown in the picture:

Type:  Two-way vented bass guitar cabinet

Impedance:  4 ohms, fairly smooth aside from the bass impedance peaks

Efficiency:  97 dB/1 watt, based on Thiele/Small parameters

Thermal Power Handling:  500 watts RMS, 900 watts music program

High Frequency section:  Celestion CDX1-1731 on 90 x 50 degree waveguide-style horn

Woofer:  Custom 4-ohm Eminence Kappalite variant, with parameters falling in between the 3015 and 3015LF.

Displacement (cone area x one-way linear excursion):  687 cubic centimeters (more than most 4x10 cabs)

Bandwidth:  57 Hz to 17 kHz plus or minus 3 dB (with normal port tuning), -10 dB at 41 Hz, no upper bass bump.  Top end extension switchable to a gentle rolloff starting at 3.5 kHz.

Crossover:  About 1.7 kHz, no audible peak or dip in crossover region

Radiation pattern:  90 degree constant directivity in the horizontal plane from the crossover region on up

Port tuning options:  50 Hz normal (four ports open, -3 dB at 57 Hz, fairly steep rolloff); 37 Hz (two ports plugged, -3 dB at 71 Hz, gentle rolloff down to tuning frequency and steep rolloff thereafter, slightly reduced fartout resistance); and Qtc = .54 box with all ports plugged (-3 dB at 100 Hz, gentle rolloff, significantly reduced fartout resistance)

Dimensions:  25" tall by 21" wide by 14" deep; net internal volume 3.1 cubic feet

Weight:  40 pounds (41 pounds for "acoustic friendly" version)

Current Price:  $1000 plus shipping, direct sales only ($1120 for "acoustic friendly" version)

Options: rear-firing tweeter for "acoustic friendly" version, $120

Return policy:  Fourteen days, you eat the shipping, full refund if in like-new condition, otherwise there will be a restocking fee based on condition

Contact:  Duke LeJeune, audiokinesis at yahoo dot com; 208-852-2610
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2012, 09:23 pm by Duke »

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Re: Introducing the AudioKinesis Thunderchild 115 bass cab
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2012, 11:00 am »
The composite cab version is projected to clock in around 34 pounds, and the price will be $1250 + shipping.   That's a lot of sound-per-pound.  Pictures will be posted when available.

The compact wooden version's dimensions will be 25" tall by 17" wide by 15" deep, estimated weight 38 pounds, and -3 dB at 62 Hz.  Same price as the widebody 115.

Why are the wooden 115s $200 more than itheir 112 counterpart??

Well, the lower crossover and higher output levels imposed call for a beefier compression driver, and I'm using a neodymium compression driver to keep weight down.   So that kicks the price up.   Also, the low-pass section of the crossover (for the woofer) has to be a bit more aggressive, which means more components, which adds cost.   And finally, that big cabinet is more expensive and time-consuming to build.   

Is there any good news in this?  Yes, the new compression driver sounds better than the one in the 112.  It's actually the same one I use in the Prisma, Strato Prism, Rhythm Prism, Cloud Chaser, and custom studio monitors.

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2012, 09:25 pm by Duke »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2012, 12:03 pm »
Most impressive!!

I found from from reading the review of the other Thunderchild that "acoustically friendly" means a rear-firing ambience tweeter.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2012, 06:00 am »
I love the 112AF, never heard the regular 112.  A friend who lives near Duke and me is a local pro bass player.  We A-Bd the 112AF with his circa $1500 Phil Jones combo cabinet with six-5.25" (not in the ballpark).  For several minutes I was sitting there digging on the sound while Rich played one of his dozen + basses (two double-basses), till I finally realized I was listening from behind the cabinet.  It sounds way better from behind than the PJ combo sounds in front.

If you play any acoustic instrument you gotta hear it plugged into the 112AF or 115AF.  It's way more than a bass guitar cabinet.  Two in stereo with a 25W tube amp highly recommended as long as you can give up the first octave (I A-Bd it with a pretty darn good high-end speaker with Dynaudio Esotec midbass/tweeter, paper in oil caps, litz wire coils, Dueland series resistors, laminated cabinet, etc).