Andover Audio Songbird streamer

danali

Re: Andover Audio Songbird streamer
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jan 2021, 02:51 pm »
went back to my laptop, easier to control...BUT keeping it for a garage stereo to stream whatever...

dolsey01

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2021, 06:12 pm »
Very disappointed to see the digital output is being converted to 16/44.1 per this review: http://hifitrends.com/2021/01/06/andover-audio-songbird-music-streamer-review-the-best-music-streamer-for-the-money-tidal-spotify-etc/

I was going to purchase and I would prefer to use my existing DAC.  I'll keep my Chromecast setup over this.  Using a Chromecast into a HDMI audio extractor which gives my Optical to my DAC. 

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #22 on: 8 Jan 2021, 03:20 pm »
A PC is not designed to just play music but a streamer is. You can get a lot of electrical noise from a PC which can be avoided with a streamer.  A streamer like the Node 2i can receive it's signal wirelessly and placement is not restricted or it can be hard wired straight to a router. It's invaluable for me to be able to heard the Ultra hi res content from Amazon Music HD at it's best.

I think the part I bolded above is the main draw of a streamer over a PC for most people. With a wireless streamer, you can play any song available on your streaming services, and with your smartphone or tablet, have total control from your listening chair without having to stand up and walk over to the equipment rack. With a PC, you have to either place the PC next to your seat (and run at least 1 wire across the middle of the floor in your listening room) or get up any time you want to change your album/playlist/song etc.

Or if you're listening just for background music while doing other things, it's again really nice to be able to control the music from anywhere in the house with your smartphone. Not possible with a PC.

I guess we (myself included) are willing to pay a lot for convenience (or the ability to be lazy? haha) :lol:

Doublej

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jan 2021, 03:40 pm »
A PC or a Mac is controllable from a phone or tablet. Specific applications running on a PC or Mac such as Plex may also have iOS and/or Android specific "applications" that control the application running on the PC or Mac.

It is my understanding that you can control your iTunes running on a Mac from your iWatch. Not sure if this works with PC iTunes.

sebrof

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jan 2021, 04:01 pm »
No experience with the Andover, but you may also want to check out the Ifi Zen Blue streamer/DAC. Seems to be very comparable, and same price. I have a Zen Blue and it works great but of course I cannot compare to the Andover.