More power or Cleaner power?

hilde45

Re: More power or Cleaner power?
« Reply #40 on: 22 Mar 2020, 11:12 am »
Thanks, OEM-wheels.
I have a budget that I'm trying to work with, and those other items are all clearly portioned out and I'm doing research to try to get the best quality within each range.

The reason the present question came up was because I do have some money apportioned for "power" and I'm trying to get a sense of how much to spend there. Obviously, in any budget, some money can shift from one category to another, and so this question of "more power or cleaner power" is about figuring out how to judge these two categories against one another.

My conversation with Jim suggested that a very reasonable amount of power for these speakers would be 30 wpc, and others I have spoken to with a lot of knowledge has said that doubling this amount of power to 60 wpc would give me a lot of headroom. The recent suggestions (of 100 wpc and even more) are probably correct in theory, but I have a budget which needs — as you point out — to pay attention to DAC, preamp, etc. To keep adding power, way above and beyond what the speakers needs *at the cost of the other categories* is only an option if I have an unlimited budget — which I do not.

I would suppose your suggestion of what to concentrate on does *not* imply to spend zero on power, cables, room tweaks; so I guess I would be curious what proportion of your budget you spent on those things, if you kept track or remember.

Early B.

« Reply #41 on: 22 Mar 2020, 02:14 pm »
More power doesn't mean it costs more money. With your budget, you can buy whatever size power amp you want. However, there's a better way of looking at "more power vs. clean power".  The first priority for clean power is a good quality component with a beefy power supply. Good components typically provide cleaner power. Instead of focusing on a separate power component right now, you'll be much better off if you buy components that already have "clean power." Buzz words to look for are "black background" or "dead quiet."

oem-wheels

« Reply #42 on: 22 Mar 2020, 11:38 pm »
What I'm trying to say is get the amp that's going to help your system sing first, whether or not you'll be able to afford the regenerator or not after the new amp.. And if there's enough room in your budget to get that regenerator then get that too.. If not then I'd live without it..  But if you can't go without a regenerator then disregard my post.. If I threw a curve ball then I'm sorry..

hilde45

« Reply #43 on: 23 Mar 2020, 03:29 am »
No, oem, no curve ball! I appreciate your thoughts.
I plan to get an amp that will make them sing.
My only goal, really, was to tease out people's theoretical intuitions.
In other words,
IF one had sufficient and clean power in their amp,
AND one had money for (a) even more good clean amp power *versus* spending money on (b) cleaner electricity, which would be more important?
I think many have given their answers and I've learned a lot.

mick wolfe

« Reply #44 on: 23 Mar 2020, 05:07 pm »
Power requirements (as always) will depend on room size, how loud you listen and what types of music you listen to. This will also dictate both speaker and amplifier choice for that matter. In either case and as others have said, solve the amp/speaker interface issue first.  As I've mentioned before, no power conditioner (if you find you'll even need one) will correct a mismatch between a speaker and an amplifier. Don't put the cart before the horse.

charmerci

« Reply #45 on: 23 Mar 2020, 06:03 pm »
Both When I got an SurgeX (unmodified) from Dave of ZenWave Cables here on AC. I noticed a slightly better sound on my system, which you can see by clicking below my avatar. I wish I could afford one of his modified ones.

hilde45

« Reply #46 on: 23 Mar 2020, 06:48 pm »
Gotcha Mick. The question is posed as if all those things were *already* done pretty well.
Thanks, Charmerci, I'lll take a look.

charmerci

« Reply #47 on: 23 Mar 2020, 06:57 pm »

Thanks, Charmerci, I'll take a look.
They're pretty expensive new but they can be had much less on eBay.