Back home, one RMAF shot

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Back home, one RMAF shot
« on: 16 Oct 2007, 02:30 am »
Wow, what a great time I had at my first RMAF!  I've been glowing nonstop since Friday afternoon after hearing the first impressions of my speakers, and those following throughout the weekend.  Maybe everyone was just being nice, but I didn't hear a single negative word.  I'd love to hear what others thought of them if you feel like posting.  But after the long drive home in the rain I'm pretty tired ... I still had to upload one picture :)  I'll get some more online tomorrow, I did manage to get out of my booth for a few hours and see about 1/2 the rooms.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Back home, one RMAF shot
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2007, 02:44 am »
Oh,no  :duh:.....not that guy again....  :lol:

I was a little disappointed Ryan....no beer. :(

But your speaker playing the GAS Reference recording sounded good....some deep organ notes....nice. Good luck with it..... :thumb:

Chris

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2007, 02:47 am »
Oh,no  :duh:.....not that guy again....  :lol:

I was a little disappointed Ryan....no beer. :(

But your speaker playing the GAS Reference recording sounded good....some deep organ notes....nice. Good luck with it..... :thumb:

Chris

Thanks for stopping by, I was honored you could squeeze me into your schedule :)

I didn't know you were in the room, I was out wandering.  Chris should have called me to let me know you were there, I'd have stopped down in the lobby and grabbed a beer or 3.

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2007, 02:57 am »
I nearly fell off my chair when the host told me that the red speakers only cost $3k  :duh: :duh: 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2007, 03:03 am »
I nearly fell off my chair when the host told me that the red speakers only cost $3k  :duh: :duh: 

That was me, so I take it you liked them? 

I spent the entire 12 hour drive home drawing final cabinet designs in my head ... I came up with an idea that I think will look incredible :)  Next step will be to work with a 3D artist and render what I thinking.

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2007, 03:06 am »
So you're the one who couldn't do the "bypass" thingy on the Tact? :duh: :lol: :lol: :green:

Oh yes, I liked that red speaker, I thought they sounded better to MY EARS than the $10k Tyler Acoustic speaker  :thumb: :thumb:

That was me, so I take it you liked them? 

I spent the entire 12 hour drive home drawing final cabinet designs in my head ... I came up with an idea that I think will look incredible :)  Next step will be to work with a 3D artist and render what I thinking.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2007, 03:23 am »
So you're the one who couldn't do the "bypass" thingy on the Tact? :duh: :lol: :lol: :green:

Oh yes, I liked that red speaker, I thought they sounded better to MY EARS than the $10k Tyler Acoustic speaker  :thumb: :thumb:

Well, I wasn't messing with the Tact stuff ... that was Chris, I was the younger blonde haired guy.  I thought Chris did do the bypass for everybody who asked? 

I think we might have been playing ours too loud a lot of the time, but the guys directly across the hall from us never shut their door and were cranking it ... so we had no choice.  That's one reason it was so loud, the other reason was because it sounded soooo good cranked!  :rock:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2007, 03:28 am »
Any thoughts on letting SP Tech do the design on the bass modules as well as the waveguide?  I don't know if you could keep it at $3k if you did that, but the results would be interesting.

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2007, 12:44 pm »
Hey Ryan,

Looks like your speakers turned out pretty nice  :thumb:

Hey Chris, even though he didn't have any beers, did Ryan offer up one of those super fine stogies?  :green:

I spent the entire 12 hour drive home drawing final cabinet designs in my head ... I came up with an idea that I think will look incredible. Next step will be to work with a 3D artist and render what I thinking.

I see more sawdust in my future  :lol:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2007, 04:48 pm »
Any thoughts on letting SP Tech do the design on the bass modules as well as the waveguide?  I don't know if you could keep it at $3k if you did that, but the results would be interesting.

What you saw was literally finished Tuesday afternoon before the show, and never fired up until we got there.  It was a total shot in the dark that seemed to turn out pretty well.  Also, if you listened Friday or Saturday the bass section was wired out of phase - obviously bass was much fuller after I realized and fixed that for Sunday.  The bass section was a dual chamber, isobaric-ally separated experiment that had 0 time for tuning.  It could have turned out MUCH worse.  That all said, I was totally happy with the bass we got from it - I was hoping for tight and fast with good musicallity and integration with the fast top section, and that's what I got. 

There will be a full dipole bass section available in the future, since it's a modular design it'll just slip right in.  Also for the chambered bass section, I'll have to choose a new driver - it's not looking like I'll be able to get more of the Focal 10W's.

I have access to one of the countrys best machine shops, so I'll be CNC'ing my own waveguides.  I'll also be experimenting here and there with the design.  If I happen to 'discover' something, I'll be sharing my findings with Bob ... and vice versa.  For the most part we'll go our own way, but I do hope we continue to work together.  There are a lot of wonderful things that the waveguide makes possible, things that a tweeter on a flat baffle just can't do, both of us will be working to get that message out.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2007, 04:52 pm »
Looks like your speakers turned out pretty nice  :thumb:

Thanks Scott, they did turn out nice I think ... they were the only red speakers in the place  8)

Hey Chris, even though he didn't have any beers, did Ryan offer up one of those super fine stogies?

Hmm, didn't know to offer or I certainly would have shared one.

I see more sawdust in my future  :lol:

Haha, well we can talk about that later :wink:  I'd like to get it so the machine shop is cutting all my panels.  But I would like to build something for you Scott, just as thanks for all your help.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2007, 03:08 am »
Yesterday I met with my bro-in-law, machine shop guy, and tossed around some pretty cool ideas for a 3" thick CNC'd on both sides open baffle waveguide.  There will be lots of curves on both sides, front and back.  The plan is to have the front machined where it will accept insert trim rings made of hardwoods, then the rest of the baffle finished in automotive finishes  8)

The experiment I tried on the bottom section definately works, measurements today show me that.  I'm seeing the group delay and rolloff of a sealed, but extension and output of a vented.  I think that's something that'll definately carry over into the final version.  The big change will likely be dual 10" drivers, one firing front and back.  There will be terminals on both sides as well (and a terminal cover to hide the side not being used), and a port on only one side.  That way you can turn the bottom section around to make it front or rear ported, whatever your room wants.

I'm having way too much fun here.  Who knows if it'll sell, but at least I'll have a house of killer speakers  :lol:

What you saw was literally finished Tuesday afternoon before the show, and never fired up until we got there.  It was a total shot in the dark that seemed to turn out pretty well.  Also, if you listened Friday or Saturday the bass section was wired out of phase - obviously bass was much fuller after I realized and fixed that for Sunday.  The bass section was a dual chamber, isobaric-ally separated experiment that had 0 time for tuning.  It could have turned out MUCH worse.  That all said, I was totally happy with the bass we got from it - I was hoping for tight and fast with good musicallity and integration with the fast top section, and that's what I got. 

There will be a full dipole bass section available in the future, since it's a modular design it'll just slip right in.  Also for the chambered bass section, I'll have to choose a new driver - it's not looking like I'll be able to get more of the Focal 10W's.

I have access to one of the countrys best machine shops, so I'll be CNC'ing my own waveguides.  I'll also be experimenting here and there with the design.  If I happen to 'discover' something, I'll be sharing my findings with Bob ... and vice versa.  For the most part we'll go our own way, but I do hope we continue to work together.  There are a lot of wonderful things that the waveguide makes possible, things that a tweeter on a flat baffle just can't do, both of us will be working to get that message out.

MerRev

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2007, 03:37 am »
not a bad looking speaker at all Ryan. :thumb:

Did you have to pay Lonewolf for service's rendered for the ever so cool audiophile lean?   :lol:   Don't worry Chris, it's not a crack- I'm really just envious. 

Btw, I like the fire engine red as well.  Maybe a trip to Scott's machine shop is in order.

Merrev

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2007, 03:38 pm »
not a bad looking speaker at all Ryan. :thumb:

Did you have to pay Lonewolf for service's rendered for the ever so cool audiophile lean?   :lol:   Don't worry Chris, it's not a crack- I'm really just envious. 

Btw, I like the fire engine red as well.  Maybe a trip to Scott's machine shop is in order.

Merrev

Thanks for saying so :)  No payment given, although I should have had a beer waiting for him!

BTW, as a Merlin owner I bet you'd enjoy these.  The Merlin's strength is the dynamics of the Esotar 330 tweeter ... these have that level of dynamics (and then some) as well as incredible soundstage width and depth, resolution, and near perfect tonal accuracy.  I can't wait to start bringing these around to local guys houses, although I am a bit sick of carrying the bass bins.

I like the red too, they're in my living room right now ... along with lots of other red.