back in the game again, time to learn

cdtthree

back in the game again, time to learn
« on: 4 Jun 2020, 04:54 pm »
I a have a PS Audio Stellar Pre / DAC, it has a i2s Digital input. I purchased a Nuprime CDT-8 transport with a i2s output. Connected with a Pangea Premium HDMI cable.
I cant describe the type of noise that comes out of the speakers when a CD is played, but it terrible. Works fine with Digital RCA connection.
I've called Nuprime, ( NO ANSWER ) to see if the i2s pin config. is the same as the PS Audio.
PS Audio have no experience with the Nuprime's product.
Sooooooooooo........................... ......
Anyone have any suggestions ?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: back in the game again, time to learn
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2020, 09:19 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:
I will move this topic to the Nuprime Circle to someone help you.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2020, 09:25 pm »
Welcome!

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2020, 09:27 pm »

Jye

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2020, 02:08 am »
I a have a PS Audio Stellar Pre / DAC, it has a i2s Digital input. I purchased a Nuprime CDT-8 transport with a i2s output. Connected with a Pangea Premium HDMI cable.
I cant describe the type of noise that comes out of the speakers when a CD is played, but it terrible. Works fine with Digital RCA connection.
I've called Nuprime, ( NO ANSWER ) to see if the i2s pin config. is the same as the PS Audio.

Try using the upsampling feature on the CDT-8 and set it to output a DSD signal. If the DSD signal works through i2s with the Stellar, it's likely that the auto-detection mechanism (PCM/DSD) on i2s is not compatible with the CDT-8.

cdtthree

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2020, 06:31 pm »
Thanks for the leads......I will enjoy this format !

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2020, 02:54 am »
The CDT-8's I2S works fine with the Directstream Sr. and the pin configuration for the SGCD should be the same.  Ask the Support people at PSA and confirm that the pin settings for the SGCD are the same as the two Directstream units.

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2020, 03:46 am »
NuPrime I2S format:

For compatibility with other brand's I2S, every pin must match. We can't and don't have the competitor's products to do testing.
Pin14 is used to indicate if the format is DSD, and it is used by Nuprime DAC devices. Other manufacturers might not have this pin.
Ask your other manufacturers to provide their I2S format so you can compare pin by pin.

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2020, 04:04 am »
Jason

The Nuprime players work with all the other PSA DACs so there is no reason for them to have changed the pinout on just this one unit.  Their pinouts are noted on their website or he can just call them. It says that it is the same. Mine has worked fine for two years. I would suggest trying another cable even a cheap one will do.

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2020, 04:49 am »
Thanks. We found out from some customers and in our own test that a decent (doesn't have to be expensive, and we provide a free cable with our CD player) HDMI makes a different.

JackD

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2020, 05:59 am »
I've tried all the outputs on the CDT-8 and to my ears the AES sounds the best anyway so I switched.