Difficult attic room

yertletheturtle

Difficult attic room
« on: 5 Jan 2014, 06:47 pm »
I am new to room treatments and need some serious help.  The room is 22' x 9' and as you can see the ceiling lines are wacky and there is NO symmetry.  there is a gorgeous view out my picture windows which I am trying to maintain.  My maggie 1.6qrs are ridiculous for the space but i love their sound.  I think a 242 panel behind the couch would be a good start and a panel behind the TV.  Also considering bass traps by knee wall where ceiling slopes off (opposite end of room from windows). Trying to avoid any 4" panels in the main listening area as these would impact on the limited space.  Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Big Red Machine

Re: Difficult attic room
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2014, 07:11 pm »
I would think the speakers on the short dimension in front of the stairs so they can breathe into an unused space behind them (stairway and alcove).

Replace the couch with a chair and you have some nice space remaining and can get your back away from the window behind as well.

yertletheturtle

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2014, 08:06 pm »
I would think the speakers on the short dimension in front of the stairs so they can breathe into an unused space behind them (stairway and alcove).

Replace the couch with a chair and you have some nice space remaining and can get your back away from the window behind as well.
Thanks for the thoughts
The orientation of the speakers on the long wall was after a lot of trial and error. The distance the other way is too short unless I am moving them every time- not doable.
It's an odd room! I have about 16" behind the speakers

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2014, 06:23 pm »
Sorry for missing this.

I certainly understand the desire to preserve the view but that's absolutely the best way to set things up too.  If the flat screen were on a low stand, you'd still have a lot of the window available.

If it has to stay as is, I would do something much thicker on the wall behind you.  Behind the speakers, one can either use absorption or diffusion. I prefer diffusion for the rear wave personally.

The left side of the room in the current orientation is going to act like a huge horn.  Some bass control on the side wall where the stairs are not would be a big benefit. Since it's not terribly usable anyway, something like Soffits in the corner and across the floor would be good.

Bryan

yertletheturtle

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2014, 05:40 pm »
i was sure i had responded to this..... anyway, it appears i never hit "post" button.
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will re-consider the orientation and see if i can make it work the preferred way. in the meanwhile i have some roxul safe n' sound that was left over from my laundry area redo.  I may try stacking that in the corners to see if i detect a difference.

cheers
Dimitri