FS -- Van Alstine FET Valve TOPP DAC with 12ax7 output stage

jjss49

I love this very sweet sounding, older DAC from Frank, but I am doing a spring cleaning/inventory and just have wayyy too much gear.  So I will offer here for a fellow AC-er to enjoy.

This is a circa-2000 AVA FET Valve TOPP Dac, using the old school Philips TDA-1541A D/A conversion chip, and dual 12AX7 vacuum tube output stage.  I bought this some 4 years ago and it was used primarily in my second system with ProAcs and Primare I-30.  Key point to note is that the input is limited to CD resolution (44.1k) via RCA/coax.  So it works great with digital outputs of CD players but if you use a modern streamer make sure it has the ability to send redbook resolution output to the downstream DAC.  I ran this in my main rig using Roon, downsampling streamed music to 44.1k, and the sound is really wonderful, sweet sounding, sufficiently resolving/organic with terrific imaging.  The choice of output tube shapes the sonic profile too, as you would expect.  I will sell the unit with new production TungSol 12ax7 (Russia made) tubes, as well as a quiet, loverly sounding pair of 1960's old stock Sylvania O-getter grey plates.

As you can in the pics the unit is in great shaoe, no issues at all.  There is a little aging on the labels at the rear, that's it.  The unit is dead silent with either set of tubes.  (BTW I have all the chassis screws, I just removed them for a photo of inside the unit.)

Offered at $400 plus shipping (via UPS ground insured).  If you are local in NorCal you are welcome to pick up in person.

If you are seeking a nice outboard DAC that sounds like music for a reasonable price, this one is hard to beat.

Here is a thread I initiated when I first got this DAC and was trying to fully understand it.  Frank was nice enough to chime in. 
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172726.msg1826521#msg1826521

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2024, 03:20 am by jjss49 »