Broken base key

VinceT

Broken base key
« on: 20 Jun 2022, 04:51 pm »
Long story short, someone broke the plastic base key off of one of my 6L6GC tubes. Can't find a matching replacement online. Is it acceptable to super glue the base key back on without affecting functionality or having any potential risks of issues? The rest of the tube appears to be fully intact.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Broken base key
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2022, 05:17 pm »
Heat might make the glue come loose.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2022, 05:20 pm »
Marine epoxy might be best..
I

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2022, 05:32 pm »
Sounds like it's a goner

Great points all, thanks for responding

jjss49

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2022, 08:39 pm »
op

if you have another tube of the same type, refer to the good tube with the center pin, note orientation, mark where the key is oriented, then plug the tube lacking the pin into the amp using the same orientation - just draw a line on the bakelite base with permanent magic marker

not that hard...

VinceT

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2022, 08:48 pm »
op

if you have another tube of the same type, refer to the good tube with the center pin, note orientation, mark where the key is oriented, then plug the tube lacking the pin into the amp using the same orientation - just draw a line on the bakelite bass with permanent magic marker

not that hard...

That is part of the question

I really didn't want to get into the whole story, but I had the amp in for repair. In the past someone broke the key off and the tube shorted and caused damage. I do not want that to happen again, so just overly careful I guess.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2022, 08:54 pm »
Any photo ?
If the pins are not shorted it may run OK, maybe some microphonics.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:34 am »
op

if you have another tube of the same type, refer to the good tube with the center pin, note orientation, mark where the key is oriented, then plug the tube lacking the pin into the amp using the same orientation - just draw a line on the bakelite base with permanent magic marker

not that hard...
Yep, just mark the tube with nail polish or white out to get the orientation right 
But go with your first thought... superglue.  It's stable, doesn't soften with heat.  It will last as long as the tube. 

Photon46

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2022, 11:24 pm »
High Temperature epoxy is what I used when I had a base key break.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2022, 11:43 pm »
If the shock was strong enough to break the baquelite base maybe it could have broken something else inside the tube.

rotarius

VinceT