New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!

Broncosaurs

Re: New Studio Monitor
« Reply #100 on: 25 Feb 2019, 12:19 am »
If you need me to draw something up in Solidworks for cabinets let me know.  Send me a table cad (hand) drawing and I can put it in.

Danny Richie

« Reply #101 on: 25 Feb 2019, 11:31 pm »
I am still playing with camera settings to figure out the best settings to use to get good quality shots that aren't huge amounts of memory and size.

Here are a few pics. This one has been burning in all weekend. This pair got a bright Copper front and metallic black body. 

This is pair got a dark Copper front and coffee colored body. The pictures don't do it justice. I'll try a few more.

The top section gets a grill cloth cover.

And the tweeter open to the top.

The No Rez isn't stuck down yet. It is just laying in there.

Danny Richie

« Reply #102 on: 25 Feb 2019, 11:54 pm »

Yes that is grill cloth in front of the tweeter.

It is hard to get a good picture of it. The grill cloth is dark and the Copper really reflects the flash.

Danny Richie

« Reply #103 on: 25 Feb 2019, 11:59 pm »
Well I gave them a good listen when I first hooked them up and was surprised at how they sounded. They didn't sound like they really needed some burn in time. And typically new stuff always has a fresh out of the box sound that makes me feel like it needs burn in time. These were good from the hit.

But after they played all weekend I came in this morning and was stunned at how much they relaxed and opened up. Man these make vocals breathy and relaxed sounding. The resolution is great, but still smooth. I can't wait for everyone to hear these.

And I did use some of the new Miflex Copper caps (.1uF by-pass) in the tweeter circuit.

AKLegal

« Reply #104 on: 26 Feb 2019, 12:05 am »
What brand and type of copper spray paint did you use?

Danny Richie

« Reply #105 on: 26 Feb 2019, 12:11 am »
What brand and type of copper spray paint did you use?

The bright Copper was Premium Decor Matallic Copper.

The Krylon Fusion Matallic Copper looks good too and is slightly darker.

The dark Copper on was Rust-olem Hammered Copper.

Spraying this stuff over Duratex is very forgiving and really easy to do. The Duratex is tuff stuff and resists nicks and dings really well. and it touches up really easily if needed.

I wanted to finish these two pair out in a way that anyone can replicate the results.

Btrmousetrap

« Reply #106 on: 26 Feb 2019, 12:13 am »
Danny,

They look great and glad they sound as you had hoped. Do you have any idea when the pricing and availability be finalized? Max power recommendations?

Thanks,

Btrmousetrap

Danny Richie

« Reply #107 on: 26 Feb 2019, 12:15 am »
Okay what you've all been waiting for. Since the crossover was not at all complex (few parts) the complete total came in really low.

$859 for the complete kit including the CNC cut front baffle and two sheets of No Rez.

And $120 of that total was for the CNC cut baffles.

Copper by-pass caps are extra as are any other tweaks that you might want to try.

The stock crossover is great. It uses all Sonicaps, Erse XQ inductors, and Mills resistors. It also come with tube connectors.

Power handling will be no issue so long as power is clean. Since these are designed for studio monitoring, small rooms, or more near field listening then it is not likely that they will need much power.

Danny Richie

« Reply #108 on: 26 Feb 2019, 12:18 am »
Now to go make those upper grills.

Coldfusion

« Reply #109 on: 26 Feb 2019, 12:31 am »
Doesn’t the duratex have a negative effect inside the waveguide?

Danny Richie

« Reply #110 on: 26 Feb 2019, 12:54 am »

Not at all.

Folsom

« Reply #111 on: 26 Feb 2019, 01:32 am »

The tiny bumps would need to be the same size or smaller than the wave. But as the frequency goes up, so does the beaming so that less of it actually touches the waveguide. 20khz is still a 0.67 inch wave size.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #112 on: 26 Feb 2019, 04:35 pm »

Not at all.

I'm so glad to read this.  I was wondering about painting my Super 7 monitors with duratex.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #113 on: 26 Feb 2019, 05:00 pm »
Hi Danny. I didn't read through the whole thread so sorry if it is mentioned. I am looking for a small, accurate minute for my test bench system. Can you point me to the specs?

SteveKi

« Reply #114 on: 26 Feb 2019, 05:02 pm »
Does the No Rez stick to the Duratex OK?
Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #115 on: 26 Feb 2019, 05:05 pm »
Hi Danny. I didn't read through the whole thread so sorry if it is mentioned. I am looking for a small, accurate minute for my test bench system. Can you point me to the specs?

Go back to post number 86 and see all the measured data, sensitivity, and impedance.

Danny Richie

« Reply #116 on: 26 Feb 2019, 05:06 pm »
Does the No Rez stick to the Duratex OK?
Steve

I guess it would stick just fine. I used it on the inside and in the space behind the tweeter only. So it didn't have to stick to Duratex.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #117 on: 26 Feb 2019, 05:24 pm »
Thank you Danny. You'll probably be hea rtting from me soon.

Captainhemo

« Reply #118 on: 26 Feb 2019, 05:44 pm »
I guess it would stick just fine. I used it on the inside and in the space behind the tweeter only. So it didn't have to stick to Duratex.

I wouldn't  recommend applying duratex to areas you plan to line with  no-rez.    It seems to stick really well for a while but after some time,   we've  foundit begins to release.  I've  never  had  any  issue with the no-rez  releasing  from   primed/painted surfaces so  it's likely the texture. 
If you're going to try it,  I'd thin the  Duratex a bit  (water soluble) an  then paint the inside  as smooth as possible in areas that will be  lined.

jay

SteveKi

« Reply #119 on: 26 Feb 2019, 06:35 pm »
I wouldn't  recommend applying duratex to areas you plan to line with  no-rez.    It seems to stick really well for a while but after some time,   we've  foundit begins to release.
jay

That's what I thought. Unfortunately I did the inner surfaces of my H-frames with Duratex and a roller. Not realizing the consequences at the time.

Does paint remover work with Duratex?
Steve