Tekton's The Perfect SET Speaker

Emil

Tekton's The Perfect SET Speaker
« on: 26 Apr 2019, 06:43 pm »
On looks alone it's hard to take this speaker seriously but it did get a nice review in 6 Moons.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/tekton/

https://www.tektondesign.com/the-perfect-set.html

$1800 DELIVERED with a 60 day trial.
Return cost is on you and no doubt expensive

Anyone hear a pair?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Tekton's The Perfect SET Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2019, 07:05 pm »
I could put some of these tweeters on top and back.
Two ports are a pro audio solution, usually in hi fi is used just one larger duct to reduce breath noise.

Emil

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2019, 07:07 pm »
I could put some of these tweeters on top and back.
Two ports are a pro audio solution, usually in hi fi is used just one larger duct to reduce breath noise.

Only has one tweeter surrounded by midrange drivers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2019, 07:26 pm »
At first glance looks a two way speaker.
Do you mean say it use a 3 ways xover?
What are the freq cuts?

Emil

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2019, 07:32 pm »

I may be wrong :lol:

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2019, 07:39 pm »
"Proprietary controlled directivity - acoustically superior proprietary polygon-oriented, triple-ring radiator high frequency array. This array disperses a precisely focused acoustical power pattern of that of a horn or waveguide without the audible ringing influence of horn flare walls constraining the soundwave for acoustically superior mid-range high frequency performance ​"

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2019, 07:41 pm »
In general, all Tekton models get good reviews.

I've never personally heard Tektons, but my buddy raves about his pair of Impact monitors, and he's been at this game a looong time and has owned some really excellent speakers.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2019, 09:06 pm »
"Proprietary controlled directivity - acoustically superior proprietary polygon-oriented, triple-ring radiator high frequency array. This array disperses a precisely focused acoustical power pattern of that of a horn or waveguide without the audible ringing influence of horn flare walls constraining the soundwave for acoustically superior mid-range high frequency performance ​"

Any patents or science to back that up?  :dunno:

srb

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2019, 09:23 pm »
Any patents or science to back that up?

U.S. Patent 9247339

cheech

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2019, 09:49 pm »
If you are interested, there is a thread on Audiogon on this specific Tekton model started by the reviewer from the aforementioned article. Likewise , there are several other Audiogon threads relative to other Tekton models, including one that has over 5000 posts. Just passing this along so you know and have an interest. I don't own Tektons so I am not mentioning the threads to steer you towards the brand

WC

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2019, 09:55 pm »
There is a thread on DIYaudio discussing how the tweeter array is set up. The original poster detailed the crossover which gives insight into how the array is designed to function.

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2019, 01:25 am »
Hey!

OK, the post's headline caught my eyes  :lol: And the last paragraph of the review is quite a statement there. I'm a single driver kinda guy, you know the wide range no crossover thing. But yes I would love to hear these speaker. The 60 days trial is great bu wonder how much is will cost to ship them back from NYC?

Anyway, all those tweeters reminded me of looking at spiders  :icon_lol:

Buddy

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2019, 02:16 am »
U.S. Patent 9247339

The patent imho does not back up his contention that this is a CD design. In fact, the patent is a little strange and essentially says that light weight transducers should be used for the “faithful reproduction of musical instruments, etc...

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/ef/3b/8b/91cfa120a70f05/US9247339.pdf

As much as it is challenging to obtain a patent, and expensive as well, it is important to see if said patent is directly relevant and/or supportive and if he has indeed improved loudspeaker design as it exists today.

I don’t see it as so. I see his assertion being obvious and only a small aspect of loudspeaker design. What I think he has done is to patent that assertion for marketing purposes.

That being said...

The collection of tweeters is FAR more interesting. It is similar to DB Keele’s CBT array but he couldn’t /hasn’t patented that because well...it’s Keele’s idea! Keele’s stuff is now being licensed and sold by JBL and Parts Express.

Post #12 on this diyaudio thread gives all details:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/336743-help-understanding-tekton-tweeter-array-schematic-2.html#post5764116

I would like to see detailed polar plots and off axis curves. I have a feeling they will look decent although not as perfect as the best waveguide based designs. Still, I am happy to see yet another method in trying to obtain a CD response.

The collective driver array isn’t exactly new. Other than Don Keele, it’s also described in Earl Geddes book and has been a component of the Legacy Whisper (by Bill Dudleston) for at least 20 years, except he didn’t use low passed tweeters as Tekton’s Alexander has done.

And let’s not forget Donald North’s (engineer at Aurasound) loudspeaker design: http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA%20Speaker.html

Best,
Anand.

Randy

« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2019, 03:06 am »

And let’s not forget Donald North’s (engineer at Aurasound) loudspeaker design: http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA%20Speaker.html

$20,000 for a few drivers mounted on boards. Sheesh.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2019, 03:24 am »
$20,000 for a few drivers mounted on boards. Sheesh.

The example wasn’t listed for “best value” but for an example of a concentric array exhibiting controlled directivity.

But that triode active XO probably wins a few tube and SET enthusiasts...

Best,
Anand.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:15 am »
The patent imho does not back up his contention that this is a CD design. In fact, the patent is a little strange and essentially says that light weight transducers should be used for the “faithful reproduction of musical instruments, etc...

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/ef/3b/8b/91cfa120a70f05/US9247339.pdf

As much as it is challenging to obtain a patent, and expensive as well, it is important to see if said patent is directly relevant and/or supportive and if he has indeed improved loudspeaker design as it exists today.

I don’t see it as so. I see his assertion being obvious and only a small aspect of loudspeaker design. What I think he has done is to patent that assertion for marketing purposes.

That worked out quite well for Bose.  :lol:

I don't know why, but I find it hard to take the Tekton brand seriously.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2019, 06:11 pm »
Here is one for sale. Purchased in April 2019.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649517819-tekton-the-perfect-set-15-speakers/

Best,
Anand.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #17 on: 28 Apr 2019, 03:53 am »
What does the impedance curve look like?

This is the version with 2 woofers (still called a Double Impact):

As epected it goes to 4 ohms or less where there ar e2 woofers, but the big bump at the XO is not going to make a SET happy.

dave

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2019, 04:20 am »
I'm with Anand on the patent/s.

Best I can tell the tweeters are for just chopping up the sound into something new, because really low THD and tweeters with most crososvers and such kinda stick out like a sore thumb often. There's lots of comb filtering and stuff going on some of the models. The double impact might accomplish a minor amount of what they say.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2019, 02:23 pm »
What does the impedance curve look like?

This is the version with 2 woofers (still called a Double Impact):

As epected it goes to 4 ohms or less where there ar e2 woofers, but the big bump at the XO is not going to make a SET happy.

dave

Dave,

Great point of course. Manufacturers state stuff like "nominal 8 ohm impedance." What in the world does that mean? Nuts. The fact is, unless the speaker is measured by Sphile, Soundstage!, etc...you will not know. Most manufacturers don't reveal it.

I measure all my speakers for both impedance and phase which gives me an extraordinary amount of information and suggestions for amplifier compatibility as phase angle and impedance are both important as is sensitivity over a given frequency range. In other words, I don't care if a speaker is 2 ohms at 20 Hz or 20khz but I do care about the impedance and phase curve over the region where most music is played, i.e. 40Hz to 10khz.

With the Tekton Double Impact Monitor measurements you have posted, a typical SET amplifier will sound excessively forward in the upper midrange (due to the high impedance), and lacking in the lower midrange and upper midbass. The frequency response curve will most definitely be affected in that range if using an SET to drive that speaker.

But honestly dave, most folks don't care about those details.

Best,
Anand.