World Championship Boxing

jimdgoulding

Re: World Championship Boxing
« Reply #60 on: 27 Nov 2012, 11:59 pm »
Somebody enlighten me.  What is the reason why a Pacman and Mayweather match can't be made?  And shouldn't Mayweather want to fight somebody?  I imagine Bradley is going to play it safe and look for a couple of paydays before Pacman, JMM, or a Mayweather fight will happen, tho I haven't heard a thing.  What gives?  Thanks.

dB Cooper

« Reply #61 on: 28 Nov 2012, 11:24 pm »
First it was because he was claiming Manny used PEDs, and wanted him to undergo testing that no other boxer anywhere has to do. Then it was because he was supposedly such hot sh** that he started bitching about how no way should Pacman get even money.

I can solve the second one right now: Sign the fight for a 60-40 winner/loser split. If you want the big piece of the pie, all you have to do is.... win the fight.

Frankly I think Floyd is afraid of Pacquiao and is trying to put off the fight until he thinks Pac is old enough to be unable to sustain a work rate he can't match. He is also scared of losing his '0'. Look how Cotto was able to rough him up. Manny is faster and may be able to sneak in the lights-out shot that Cotto couldn't.

Manny has also wobbled on making the fight, at one point objecting to a two week shift in the date.

I don't intend to watch either one until they fight each other. It may not happen though. I think they both have already lost a little and the fight is unlikely to be what it could have been two years ago.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2012, 01:06 am by dB Cooper »

dB Cooper

« Reply #62 on: 29 Nov 2012, 03:08 am »
Saw the Guerrero/Berto fight and was amazed that not only did the ref miss Guerrero's blatant, repeated (3 or 4 times) holding behind the head while hitting Berto before the first knockdown, the crack HBO broadcasting team failed to notice it or comment on it even as it was replayed several times.  :scratch:

Good fight overall, but I don't blame Berto for being pissed off about the officiating. The first round holding and hitting alone may have had a significant influence on the outcome.

vortrex

« Reply #63 on: 29 Nov 2012, 03:30 am »
the crack HBO broadcasting team failed to notice it or comment on it even as it was replayed several times.

Pretty sure they were talking about it multiple times, even comparing it to Lennox Lewis.

dB Cooper

« Reply #64 on: 29 Nov 2012, 03:37 am »
It was mentioned later, not between the first and second rounds.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #65 on: 29 Nov 2012, 03:59 am »
I didn't think the ref was doing a good job but maybe Guererro was sneaky about it.  The HBO crew mentioned that Guererro knew where the ref was and took advantage.  Berto has a lot of heart but not the best defense or chin.  He wasn't busy enough either.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #66 on: 1 Dec 2012, 01:04 pm »
Austin Trout vs Miguel Cotto  9pm on Showtime.  For jimd :wink:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #67 on: 1 Dec 2012, 01:15 pm »
Thanks for thinking of me, Dj.  Alas, to my regret, i don't have Showtime.  Give us your post fight review.  Ok?

fredgarvin

« Reply #68 on: 1 Dec 2012, 04:31 pm »
Frankly I think Floyd is afraid of Pacquiao and is trying to put off the fight until he thinks Pac is old enough to be unable to sustain a work rate he can't match. He is also scared of losing his '0'. Look how Cotto was able to rough him up. Manny is faster and may be able to sneak in the lights-out shot that Cotto couldn't.

That's been Mayweather's MO for years. Cotto is an example, he ducked Cotto, Margarito, all the top welters, in their prime. Then he fights them when they age. Mosley is another one. He mainly fought smaller junior welters moving up such as Judah, Mitchell, Gatti and Hatton.

dB Cooper

« Reply #69 on: 1 Dec 2012, 10:10 pm »
Fred Garvin- kind of like Camacho (not exactly noted for his power) having a knockout win against a thoroughly shot Ray Leonard, a fighter who stood up to the best Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns and Marvin Hagler could dish out. But somebody might read later "Oh, he beat Leonard??!?"

jackman

« Reply #70 on: 1 Dec 2012, 10:57 pm »
Not so fast regarding Sugar Ray Leonard.   He waited until Hagler was nearly shot befor agreeing to fight him.  It was Hagler's last fight.  Also, Leonard and Duran both dodged Aaron Prior.  I think Prior would have dusted them both, as long as there was no drug testing for coke.  Prior was a monster and none of the big names would give him a fight after witnessing what he did to Alexis Arguello.

Hagler never dodged anyone as far as I can tell.  He was a true champion.

dB Cooper

« Reply #71 on: 1 Dec 2012, 11:19 pm »
Not so fast on Marvin Hagler... He had probably lost a step but was far from shot. And Ray came into that fight off a three year layoff- in fact, many in the business thought he was shot and feared for his safety. Hagler didn't retire because he couldn't still fight; he was disgusted by the business.

Pryor vs either Duran or Leonard would have been great fights. Leonard was more likely to have made a cost/benefit calculation; don't know why Duran didn't fight him. I don't think Duran would have been afraid to take that fight. That would have been the better fight of the two.

BTW, over the years Leonard has been accused of ducking everybody he didn't fight on two weight divisions on either side of him, from Chavez (135#) to Mike McCallum (154#). If Leonard didn't fight_____, he "ducked" him. It isn't always so simple.

jackman

« Reply #72 on: 1 Dec 2012, 11:53 pm »
Leonard was tough as was Duran but neither wanted any part of Prior.  Also, I watched Hagler for years and he was in too many wars prior to the Leonard fight. You are correct, he wasn't washed up but I would have loved to see what a young Hagler would have done to Sugar Ray.  He would have roughed him up, IMO.   

Duran disgraced himself in the No Mas fight and lost my respect completely.   Too bad he said No Mas to the Aaron Prior fight.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #73 on: 2 Dec 2012, 12:35 am »
I saw Pyror and what is my man's name?  He was from Central America.  Very clean puncher with lots of stamina.  He had Pyror beaten for several rounds and had to be ahead on the score cards.  Then, all of a sudden here came Pryor like it was the first round.  Panama Lewis was in his corner and there was speculation that he had given Pryor some sort of stimulant.  It sure looked that way, brothers and sisters, lemme tell ya.  Ah ha, Alexis Arguello was his name.

dB Cooper

« Reply #74 on: 2 Dec 2012, 01:20 am »
You are correct, he wasn't washed up but I would have loved to see what a young Hagler would have done to Sugar Ray.  He would have roughed him up, IMO.   
A young Hagler vs an old Ray, sure. A young Hagler vs a young Ray? Well, Ray couldn't carry the weight when he was younger, but since we are talking hypotheticals here, I would say that if he could, he would have comprehensively outboxed him just as he did when they did actually meet. But if Hagler (who was a better boxer than given credit for) hadn't made the key mistake of trying to show everybody that he could box with Ray (he couldn't), things might have turned out differently.

Duran disgraced himself in the No Mas fight and lost my respect completely.   Too bad he said No Mas to the Aaron Prior fight.
Agree 100%. Duran always was sort of a d!ck. I mean, he gave Leonard's wife the finger before their third fight. What a classy professional...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #75 on: 2 Dec 2012, 03:00 am »
Yeah, Duran was a bad man, but he sure embarrassed Leonard in their first fight and then embarrassed himself in their second.  Leonard was a different fighter in the second and badly frustrated Duran for as long as it lasted.

dB Cooper

« Reply #76 on: 2 Dec 2012, 03:40 am »
I don't know that he embarrassed Leonard; Leonard gave as good as he got, but Duran psyched him into fighting Duran's fight, which swayed the judges. That's "ring generalship", and basically how Ray beat Hagler a number of years later.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #77 on: 2 Dec 2012, 04:59 am »
The way I remember, it was about the third round that Duran shook Ray and Ray seemed to kow-tow to Duran the rest if the fight.  Wish I could remember the score cards for comparison.  Ray looked very fresh, however, and determined, getting off first, for example, so long as the second fight lasted.  Duran could see he was in for a long night and conceded the fight.  From what I saw, he would have been knocked by the 7th, or sooner. 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #78 on: 2 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm »
Well Trout got the job done but he hasn't made me a fan.  Trout was taller, bigger, stronger and faster but settled for out boxing Cotto on the outside, and doing a lot of grappling and stifling Cotto on the inside.  I can't take anything away from Trout he was very effective and adapted to what Cotto was doing.  Ok, I'll take something away from Trout:  first time Cotto was in an un entertaining fight.  Trout has the skills to give a lot of guys a difficult fight but I don't really care to see any of them with the exception of Trout-Golovkin (KO GGG) and Trout Mayweather.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #79 on: 9 Dec 2012, 01:26 pm »
The photos from the press release of Manny/Marquez online show a still of Manny knocked stone cold out.  The report said that Marquez was substantially bigger than in previous fights.  I'm guessing he got there the honest way.  Manny had too much to lose taking this fight.  Not a smart decision