Which MLB stadiums have you visited?

TheChairGuy

Which MLB stadiums have you visited?
« on: 28 Jul 2009, 09:00 pm »
George / zybar recently took some shots of the Cleveland Indians Progressive Field which prompts me to ask 'Which MLB stadiums have you visited?'

I admit to being bored to tears watching baseball on television - so I don't - but, I equally love going to the live games.  The fans around, the crack of the bat, the sound of a guy sliding into a bag has no equal on TV (at least on my 32")

Over the past 10-20 years I've been able to see many ballparks...generally, when I'm on business.  I'm neither a drinker, gambler or carouser so seeing a ballgame is good entertainment for me on nights away from April - October (I've not been to a playoff game). 

Baseball season coincides with my heaviest travel period, so I've been to a few over the years.  I don't know the exact names of the fields over the years as sponsors change - so bear with me: 

Yankee Stadium (not the latest one, however)
Shea Stadium / NY Mets (wow, is that ever still a pit....no different than the 70's)
Camden Yards / Baltimore (brilliant place)
Fenway Park / Boston (what a pearl, so small tho)
Safeco Field / Seattle (loved the food, hated the cold winds)
Wrigley Field / ChiCubs (steeped in history)
Pittsburgh Stadium (probably the friendliest fans in the US)
Texas Stadium / Texas Rangers (featureless, I felt, lousy food, too....but, I don't eat hot dogs)
Tropicana Field / Tampa Bay Devil Rays (quite ugly, too)
Toronto Blue Jays  (nice fans and cheap tix when I went a few years ago!)
Philadelphia Phillies (I have a kinship with Philly having gone to college there)
Milwaukee Brewers (Loved the sign nearby a few years ago that said 'bring back major league baseball' ha)

I think that's the list.  Shame on me, I've lived in SF-bay area for 6+ years now and never have been to an A's or Giants game.  I resolve to change that soon :)

John

« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2009, 11:08 pm by TheChairGuy »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: How many MLB stadiums have you visited?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2009, 10:29 pm »
Current stadiums/fields:

Jacobs/Progessive Field (my hometown one, Cleveland)
Fenway (Boston)
Wrigley (Cubs)
Camden Yards (Baltimore)
Great American (Cincinnati)
PNC Park (Pittsburgh)
AT&T Park (San Francisco)
Dodger Stadium (LA)
Rogers Centre (Toronto)
Minute Maid Park (Houston)
Comerica Park (Detroit)
Turner Field (Atlanta)
Kauffman Stadium (KC)

Former Stadiums/Fields:

Tiger Stadium (Detroit)
Cleveland Municipal Stadium (Cleveland)
Three Rivers Stadium (Pittsburgh)
Riverfront Stadium (Cincinnati)
Crosley Field (Cincinnati)
Busch Stadium (old) (St Louis)
The Astrodome (Houston)
Candlestick Park (San Francisco)

Huge holes in my resume:  New York!!  been there many times, never saw a game!!!

Favorites:
Jacobs (Mine!  Cleveland does something right for a change; totally took my breath away when I attended the first game there after my whole childhood/adult life at Municipal Stadium)
Dodger Stadium (coming in from the above ground seat-level perspective and seeing it for a late evening game is quite spectacular, even still today)
Kauffman Stadium (first "modern" park I ever saw...blew me away in 1970-something, probably 78 or so).

twitch54

Re: Which MLB stadiums have you visited?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2009, 05:03 pm »
I used to travel alot for business back in the Eighties, I managed to cover every stadium in the NL. My AL exsposure has been limited.....

Yankee Stadium ( first their in '66 as a young lad in junior high, watched Whitey Ford pitch and came away with a foul ball off the bat of Elston Howard)

Boston - Fenway

Chgo - Comisky

Baltimore - Camden Yards

Oakland - Alameda County Stadium

For me though hands down, Wrigley Field is my favorite. I watched 'Leffty' pitch their in '83 for the Phillies to clinch the pennant

Randy

Re: Which MLB stadiums have you visited?
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2009, 06:07 pm »
I haven't been around that much, but here's my list.

Tiger Stadium, no better seat in baseball than the first few rows of the upper decks inside the bases. You were literally right on top of the field. Still have not gotten to Comerica.

Pre-renovation Yankee Stadium circa 1958. What an awesome experience to see it in all its glory. Another memory. I brought binoculars to the game and during batting practice, Mantle, Elston Howard, and Berra were leaning against the batting cage with me peering at them through the glasses. They were all looking in my direction so I waved and one or two of them laughed and waved back. What a thrill for a ten year old kid.

Comiskey Park The arches under the stands were a trademark. Saw Ted Williams hit a homer into the right field seats. Must have been 1957.

Wrigley - most memorable game i've seen there was in '62 when the heavy hitting Giants led by Willie May, Willie McCovey, and Orlando Cepeda. scored 22 runs off the hapless Cubs.

Griffith Stadium, in D. C., an early-day type wooden structure. Very quaint in what even then was a bad, run down neighborhood. Must have been around 1961. This was the expansion version of the Senators.

The Brewers new stadium. Very nice.

Coors Field - one of the more beautiful of the newer parks, I think, but most of the seats are so far from the field as they are now in most of the new parks.

U. S Cellular Field - home of the White Sox. One of the worst of the new parks, but it's better now than when they first opened it after some renovations.

The K. C. Stadium, is it called Kauffman Field?

Old Shea Stadium back in the early days of the Mets.

Memorial Stadium, Cleveland, what a dump.

The home of the Angels, at least where they were around 1970. Watched Nolan Ryan and pre arm injury Frank Tanana pitch back to back. They let up about two or three hits combined the two games.

I think that's it.

« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2009, 02:17 pm by Randy »