Possibly stupid question regarding center channel speaker(s)

grub

Hey all,
I've been thinking lately that it might be fun to try running twin center-channel speakers in my HT.  I'm using an Integra reciever to run the system, so I don't have an extra amp channel to power another speaker.

My question is can I simply wire two speakers together, and power the pair off of a single channel?  I know that multiple drivers can be wired in parallel or series and powered from a single amp, but can this be done with entire speakers?  Also, would the change in load ruin the integration with the rest of the system?
Thanks everyone,
-->grub

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
Re: Possibly stupid question regarding center channel speake
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2005, 04:51 am »
Quote from: grub
Hey all,
I've been thinking lately that it might be fun to try running twin center-channel speakers in my HT.  I'm using an Integra reciever to run the system, so I don't have an extra amp channel to power another speaker.

My question is can I simply wire two speakers together, and power the pair off of a single channel?  I know that multiple drivers can be wired in parallel or series and powered from a single amp, but can this be done with entire speakers?  Also, would the change in load ruin the integration with the rest of the system?
Thanks everyone,
-->grub

YES!   It will suck.   Two full range speakers side by side reproducing the same signal will provide massive amounts of comb filtering for a nasty FR both on and off axis.    

Give it a try... you may like it.   :mrgreen:

csero

Re: Possibly stupid question regarding center channel speake
« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2005, 02:17 pm »
Quote from: Kevin P
YES!   It will suck.   Two full range speakers side by side reproducing the same signal will provide massive amounts of comb filtering for a nasty FR both on and off axis.    

Give it a try... you may like it.   :mrgreen:

Two full range speakers 6-10 feet apart reproducing the same signal will provide even worse comb filtering and nastier FR both on and off axis  :D

grub

Possibly stupid question regarding center channel speaker(s)
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2005, 06:28 pm »
I smell an experiment brewing ; )
-->grub