Need Recommendations for USB adaptors for 2020 MacBook Air

Lincnabby

• 520-548-8156
Hello fellow Apple lovers,

I'm getting a new 2020 MBA, which I intend to use for streaming Tidal to my DAC for music. My DAC has an Audiophileo SPDIF reclocker which accepts USB B. I currently use a Curious USB cable with B connector to the Audiophileo, and an A connector to my older 2012 MacBook Pro.

So here's the question... will an adapter like the Audioquest USB A to C adapter degrade my sound quality?

Do any of you have a similar type of setup, and what has worked well for you?

Thanks for any advice.
Lincoln

Audiosaurusrex

Re: Need Recommendations for USB adaptors for 2020 MacBook Air
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2020, 01:59 am »
Hello Lincoln
So I use a 2019 MBP. I upgraded to an Ssd Drive so the thing is dead quiet. Audrivana is sweet. Use a no-name usb adapter into a Synergistic Research Reference USB. I thought about the degradation as well but I am so stunned at how good my digital library sounds, can’t imagine the audioquest will degrade the sound.

Lincnabby

• 520-548-8156
« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2020, 09:53 pm »
ASR,
Thanks for sharing your experience.  I’m hopeful that the adapter won’t be a weak link in the chain and your input gives me confidence it won’t!
Thanks and happy listening.

Lincnabby

• 520-548-8156
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2020, 09:55 pm »
Update- I ended up buying a very simple looking Audioquest USB A to C adapter. Don’t have the MBA yet (back ordered). I’ll share impressions once I get all components set up!

wgscott

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2020, 04:03 pm »
I recently upgraded to a 2020 Macbook Air (having misplaced my trusty 2011 Macbook Air during a fire evacuation).

Simple USB-C to A adaptors are very inexpensive.

If you want to do other things, like drive an external monitor or projector, a UCB-C/thuderbolt 3  dock is needed.  The graphics card is capable of delivering 6K @ 60Hz, but most adaptors down-grade it.

Probably the best docks are made by CalDigit. 
The $250 one is apparently the best one you can get, and if you have a displayport monitor, it is ideal.  It also has an optical audio out, ethernet in, and many other connectors, and is also a stand-alone power supply.
They have a more sanely-priced portable docs ($120) with either displayport or HDMI out.

I jsut got a portable dock from Satechi for about $90.  The HDMI only outputs 30Hz, but that is good enough for a projector.  (I got a separate $12 cable -- thunderbolt3/C to displayport, which gives me an undegraded connection for an external monitor).

AllynW

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2020, 09:19 pm »
$10.00 at amazon, no wall wart. AUKEY USB C Hub Ultra Slim USB C Adapter with 4 USB 3.0 Ports USB Type C Hub for MacBook Pro.

Lincnabby

• 520-548-8156
« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2020, 03:49 am »
I ended up buying the very simple AQ USB a to c converter- it's a tiny little thing but does the job well. I can't discern any degradation in SQ and I think it actually sounds better with the 2020 MBA than through the 2012 MBP I had running into a traditional USB port.