Looking for help/advice on rescued mid-50's equipment and tubes

benguin

Hello vintage AC group, I have finally gotten around to cleaning up some rescue "hi-fi" equipment that was once part of my dad's home built (former Western Electric engineer) system, and did not want to see any of this headed to the landfill.  If nothing else, it's visually interesting- especially some of the old tubes.

The base equipment includes a home made preamp/amp of unknown design, a Voice of Music 956 turntable/changer, a Lafayette K1100 am/fm tuner, a Concertone 2506 reel to real, a huge number of untested tubes, and quite a few pieces of test equipment.  All is from the mid-50's, with some tubes likely into the mid sixties.

Any ideas of who might be interested in this type of equipment or is this destined for 'long term storage' at home?  If nothing else, I might build a display rack for some of the more interesting radio tubes.  After clean up and cataloging them, some look NOS and some 'seem' pretty unusual- especially one made with blue glass.

Thanks for any advice!
  Ben

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
You should see about getting the preamp and tuner looked at and see if they can't be put back into service.

benguin

Steve, the tuner does fire up- although I haven't tried connecting it to anything.  As far as the amp/preamp- I wouldn't be as confident, the last I remember that was probably last fired up was maybe 1970.

The tape deck and phono are likely serviceable as well, although not too sure about the factor pre-amp on the reel to reel.  If the vintage tube checker was fully functional, I could check those out- and all those tubes in the boxes too.   From reading some of the vintage equipment sites, seems like the tube tester may need a new main tube (of which I don't have a spare).  It does power up though.

Hopefully someone can help with ideas- else one day might post them up on ebay.

Thanks!
  Ben

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
If you wanted to list the tubes by number, I'm sure several members would be interested.  I might pick up some 6dj8 types (7308, 6922, ECC88), 6bq5 types, 5AR4, or 6L6GC.