Anybody have the room to host an audio meet if CAF is cancelled?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
I was thinking about it: I don't believe that CAF will happen this year, and restaurants would be not having normal dining. We will have to wait and see, and play it by ear.

Now, I was recently thinking: as a back up plan,  if someone wants to host a meet where we can eat and drink (even if we order from multiple places). Just have music playing in the background, eat actual food, drink, argue about audio, and enjoy ourselves.

dB Cooper

Seems to me that if CAF is cancelled, you might want to consider why that would be and follow suit. The DC metro area is a hotspot and is it really worth it to put yourself and others you might come in contact with at risk, just to hear some new audio gear. Cases are spiking everywhere restrictions are being relaxed. It may be a different situation by Oct/Nov for all we know, though.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
There is no way I could take Metro from where I live in Virginia to Rockville. I couldn't take Metro to any place from where I live in Virginia. I don't live near a Metro. There would have to be driving involved. In fact, I would look for ways to carpool with someone near me.

But, we are talking about a private meet at somebody's house. We are talking about less that ten people. Even if a Governor refuses to open up when it is relatively safe, they can not stop what we do privately. If they do, it is time to reconsider where you live, or who is in charge.

Phil A

Seems to me that if CAF is cancelled, you might want to consider why that would be and follow suit. The DC metro area is a hotspot and is it really worth it to put yourself and others you might come in contact with at risk, just to hear some new audio gear. Cases are spiking everywhere restrictions are being relaxed. It may be a different situation by Oct/Nov for all we know, though.

Great advice.  It's not going to be back close to normal until there's a vaccine.  I have a $500 cruise voucher (got for free around October of last year) along with free airline tickets I got at the same time.  Both have expiration dates and I'll probably never use them.  It's not horrible where I am but I still wouldn't do it.  When I go out to eat I sit outside.  Indoor air, no matter where, including in your house, has the air re-circulated.  See  https://www.erinbromage.com/  and the diagram a bit down the page with the lettered round table diagram (and there's a description without the lettered round table diagram here - https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them).  Before it all went to hell, I had my AC system tuned up on March 6.  I have two zones.  One just for a large upstairs bonus room.  Normally there clean off bacterial growth from around the inside of the unit with either special wipes or disinfectant.  I had them wire a UV light (https://www.patriotiaq.com/#!/Patriot_UV) into the main unit.  The air inside is definitely better.  I don't use the upstairs much except to move the dust around and flush the toilet once or twice a week for a few minutes and I just have the AC set (at 78) to take out humidity and so mold doesn't grow.

Saturn94

+1

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
you can have your meet, just sign a waiver not to use hospital resources.

mix4fix

• Volunteer

As long as the communist gives us permission.

dB Cooper

There is no way I could take Metro from where I live in Virginia to Rockville. I couldn't take Metro to any place from where I live in Virginia. I don't live near a Metro. There would have to be driving involved. In fact, I would look for ways to carpool with someone near me.

But, we are talking about a private meet at somebody's house. We are talking about less that ten people. Even if a Governor refuses to open up when it is relatively safe, they can not stop what we do privately. If they do, it is time to reconsider where you live, or who is in charge.

By 'DC Metro', I met the DC metropolitan area and surrounding VA and MD counties, not 'Take the Metro'. Driving is probably safer than Metro anyway where it is virtually impossible to practice social distancing. Yes, they can't stop what you do privately. But we should all use common sense. Getting together to nerd out over audio equipment, while something I have always liked to do, is pretty low on Maslow's hierarchy of needs. If the goal is to get acquainted and gab about audio in general, that could be done on a Zoom call.

I have seen BB sites with something like a 'back room' where political arguments frowned upon elsewhere on the site are fair game. Since there is no such area here at this time, I'll just wish everybody a good evening.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
CAF is scheduled five months away. Things should settle down enough to have a more enjoyable life. Stores and restaurants will open up, but mass attended events will probably be out of the question. Having a small meet among friends will not be a big deal.

I know I don't trust what the media says, nor what politicians do. But, let's not make this political.

dB Cooper

Reply #6 seemed to be taking a step in that direction so I just thought I might hit the pause button.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
Reply #6 seemed to be taking a step in that direction so I just thought I might hit the pause button.

Reply #5 was was not necessary for this conversation.

I understand where you are coming from, but the fact is we can't stay inside forever. I don't believe CAF will happen, but we need to get out eventually.

marvda1

don't blame your missteps on me.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
don't blame your missteps on me.

Nice redirect.

That statement you gave was not needed at all. It is way worse than DB and I disagreeing on this. If you don't want to attend, that is your decision. Nobody is forcing you to attend. This thread is just a suggestion and a discussion.

And, I don't believe you even live in the DMV. Your opinion doesn't count in this topic. Only time I have seen you in this section was to shill another audio show while discussing ours. Worry about your own State.

marvda1

everyone please be safe.

Phil_S

Not a chance I'm attending.  Too many risk factors involved without an effective vaccine.

sts9fan

Do I get a kiss on the mouth when I arrive?  :lol: :lol:

Phil A

Do I get a kiss on the mouth when I arrive?  :lol: :lol:

Yes - it's right here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsigPU7_H7s

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
It's rare that I have to do moderation on the Mid Atlantic Circle.  Political discussion is forbidden on AC for very good reasons.  Using words like communist, liberal, right wing, etc are exactly what's forbidden and will not be tolerated.  Additionally berating members will not be tolerated.

At the last update Gary Gill is in a tough spot regarding CAF.  As I understand it he had some deadline to decide if he was going forward with it or not, no idea if that date has passed or not, nothing on the website.  I would imagine that any decision would be posted on the CAF website.  Private GTGs are the business of the host and guests, but personally I can't see a benefit at this time.