Carolina Thunder!

richidoo

Carolina Thunder!
« on: 9 Sep 2015, 04:59 pm »
NC is subject to severe thunderstorms in the late summer, and especially in the spring.  What do you do to protect against lightning, voltage surges. Does the constant lightning storms irritate you, or you just don't care?

I personally hate having to shut off the music and unplug all my gear when I hear a distant thunder clap. Especially when it is 3AM and I'm half asleep! Seems like 5PM is time for a storm, just when I turn on the stereo for the evening, sitting down with first bottle of wine for some nice tunes. Then BAM! scramble to unplug.

First thing I do is disconnect the roof mounted Yagi antenna. I have a Jensen coax Iso-Maxx in line with the antenna feed, so I unscrew one end of that to disconnect. Even my kids know how to do it, since i call them on the phone to shut off the stereo and disconnect the antenna more than once. I have 6 plugs to pull and a power strip to shut off. Plugging back in I have to wait for Sonos to boot before I can listen again. Boohoo, I know, life is tough.

I was thinking about going to all battery system, but I'd need four 12V batteries and 4 chargers to make the +/-24V rails I need for my Mod86 chip amps. But that's a big investment and my wife says, "Just unplug it you lazy @#$%^&*" But with batteries I could listen to music while the lightning strikes all around me, like Tesla in his giant lab cage in Colorado Springs. Then I could laugh my ass off, but that would be tempting fate and I don't do that with lightning, so I would just smirk and hope nobody sees it. 

Sure I could spendspendspend and solve it with a pile of money, hire a lightning assistant to unplug my stereo and wax my Rolls. But is the problem really worth $1000 or $5000, I don't think so.  I want to know what you think. All AC members opinions welcome. Thanks

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Carolina Thunder!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2015, 05:04 pm »
usually do nothing unless it's going to be massive.  pretty sure I've only unplugged twice in 11 yrs.  I do have a whole house surge and POU on everything else important though. 

bacobits1

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2015, 05:26 pm »
I don't do anything unless it's really bad that is when I'm home I pull plugs.
Everything is in a Brick Wall line filter that I have used for years.
I do have a problem once or twice a week where the power is off then on real quick like a  second.
It screws with my Chord DAC on all the time and it does not always re-boot correctly in that instance.
We get some whoppers here there was one a few weeks ago that dumped 4.5 inches of rain in 90 minutes.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2015, 06:42 pm »
This: http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/Power-Conditioners/Whole-House/Environmental-Potentials-EP-2050-Whole-House-Surge-Protector.html

But I'll admit I use PI Audio's BUSS-STOP and have stopped worrying temporarily. When I sell the BUSS-STOP I will likely replace with the EP2050 above since my entire system on a separate line and it will be easy to install it.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2015, 01:08 pm by poseidonsvoice »

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2015, 01:16 am »
Sol once told me to just unplug the antenna and don't worry about it. He runs some local radio towers so he is a good judge of the risk. But I can probably do a little more than I am.

My power service is all underground for about a mile to the overhead lines that feed my neighborhood. Does that reduce the likelihood of a voltage surge at my house? I'm thinking lightning can only cause a surge if it strikes a nearby pole or something like that. But I suppose it can strike a ground transformer, or go into the line via house strike at my neighbor with whom I share a tranny secondary? Neither likely if the grounds are good. All this means nothing because "siht happens" and lightning doesn't follow any rules.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2015, 08:12 am »
The answer to both of your worries is the link to the EP 2050 above. Regardless of 'how' the lightning strikes, this unit is supposed to protect your equipment. You can brainstorm all the scenarios and statistical chances something like this occurs, but when it does occur, it's 100% right?  :wink:

Best,
Anand.

Nick77

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2015, 10:04 am »
This: http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/Power-Conditioners/Whole-House/Environmental-Potentials-EP-2050-Whole-House-Surge-Protector.html

But I'll admit I use PI Audio's Minibuss and have stopped worrying temporarily. When I sell the Minibuss I will likely replace with the EP2050 above since my entire system on a separate line and it will be easy to install it.

Best,
Anand.

Anand I was not aware any of the busses provided any protection??

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2015, 01:07 pm »
Sorry, yes, I have the BUSS-STOP which does provide surge protection. The Uberbuss, Majikbuss and Minibuss do not to my knowledge.

http://www.piaudiogroup.com/site/41cd1b151ef341ba92d80a5caa19b8ce/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpiaudiogroup.com%2Fproducts.html#2876

Best,
Anand.

xsb7244

« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2015, 11:55 pm »
There is also the ZenWave modified SurgeX.

xsb7244

« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2015, 12:01 am »
Any updates on the Sol amp?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2015, 12:14 am »
I put a similar type of device on my house here in Oregon.  I believe they are code in Canada.  I too unplug my antenna when storms come through and I have been waiting 5 years for one.  But I am in Oregon now and not Kansas :duh:

The unit is a first line of defense on all the rest of the house hold primarily.  The Fridge, hot tube etc.

I run a Furman power conditioner and I would still unplug if I was home.

In the past I have lost items due to a surge when a switch tripped on a pole a few miles from the house.  The switch was triggered by a car at the base.  I have also seen a neighbor miss his drive and hit the electrical valut box next to his driveway :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: