The Mysterious "BLACK BOX" - Details & Facts

serengetiplains

Re: The Mysterious "BLACK BOX" - Details & Facts
« Reply #60 on: 8 May 2009, 03:42 pm »
Bill, read Wilczek's book.  Strong proof the ether---the somethingness of space---exists.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #61 on: 2 Jun 2009, 05:27 am »
Any more news or comments on the "black box" ? Thanks... :thumb:

juanitox

« Reply #62 on: 2 Jun 2009, 05:39 am »
 :drool: mine is shipping wenesday...  will make a report next week aa

lonewolfny42

« Reply #63 on: 2 Jun 2009, 05:42 am »
Thanks.... :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #64 on: 5 Jun 2009, 11:17 am »

I have a pair for audition Chris.

Mariusz :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #65 on: 5 Jun 2009, 05:21 pm »

Wanna try them at topround's (Mike's) Rave tomorrow ?  :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #66 on: 6 Jun 2009, 01:14 am »

Wanna try them at topround's (Mike's) Rave tomorrow ?  :thumb:

Can not do tomorrow's rave (I have to attend friend's birthday party)
but you can test drive them some other time in your system.
I have a tour demo sample with 3 settings for fine tuning.
PM if you're interested.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #67 on: 6 Jun 2009, 02:48 am »
Mariusz,
When will you be prepared for some feedback/review of your demo of the Black Box?

Mariusz

« Reply #68 on: 6 Jun 2009, 03:14 am »
Mariusz,
When will you be prepared for some feedback/review of your demo of the Black Box?

I do not do reviews but will TRY to post my impressions on this or other thread which will be exclusively dedicated for feedback and\or impressions.
Cycling through few amps at the moment. I need more time to play around with these "black boxes" (actually they look like little wooden treasure boxes) with "pixie dust" inside of them.

P.S
My speakers are SD and I am not exactly sure if these were design with that option in mind?
I have heard some hints about some implementation and what they address but that is meaningless if I can't hear some justified differences (positive that is) which will correspond to its asking price and most of all performance.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #69 on: 6 Jun 2009, 03:42 am »
Received email noticed that mine shipped. UPS tracking says they'll be here Thurs. the 11th which means that I won't actually get them till Fri. when I can pick them up at the UPS depot.

konut

« Reply #70 on: 13 Jun 2009, 12:34 am »

The sound gets even more accurate with these BB's on. It's like the signal gets cleaned up, or gets rid of some sort of artifacts. Leaving the original signal undisturbed and uncolored. The imagining gets pinpoint accurate and realistic, with a very wide and deep soundstage. Its like overtones and roomcues gets to your ears without any smear or ringing. Just leaving what was originally recorded. It affects all of the signal, the Bass gets cleaner and more articulated, the mids and highs gets more focused. It's like the amplifiers gets more control over the entire range, better start / stop abilities. Voices and instruments are like carved in stone. More realistic than ever.

I received my Black Boxes yesterday and can only agree with BRIAN DKs' excellent description of the improvement.

PTC

« Reply #71 on: 17 Jun 2009, 02:57 am »
Are those VMPS ambience tweeters I see up there also.I use them with my Mini's and so far I like them,Paul

konut

« Reply #72 on: 17 Jun 2009, 03:48 am »
Yes they are. Curious thing though, they sounded twice as loud after I hooked up the BBs, so I disconnected them because there was just too much treble energy.  So far, I'm not missing them.

Mariusz

« Reply #73 on: 17 Jun 2009, 04:24 am »
 First of let me thank Bob for his generosity and including me on the tour list for his "Black Boxes".

Second - I want everyone to know that generally speaking, tweaks/gizmos are not my cup of coffee and little attention is paid to such in my own system. In all honesty, I can't name one that is used at the present.......... sure I have/had some but it never stay in the system for to long. Even if it looked good.
My philosophy to be frank lays in simplicity and synergy between amplifier and speaker. Everything else has its way of working things out in the process/audiophile journey.

When I first read about "Black Boxes" & what they are designed to do it cough my eye and when offer of audition came up I jump right on it. Reason - if it works and how? Especially with my own speakers (horn/SD).

Excitement about these was such that talks about possibility of future deal came up at least ones throughout our conversations. I mean ..... why not.....if it works I would offer those as on option with my own offerings. It worked ones before with AC member and his cables which quite complement my speaker. 

Ofcause  my excitement & anticipation was grand when the "Black Boxes" finally arrived.
I couldn't wait to hook these square wooden boxes into my rig and listen.
So how did they sound?  Well, not like much. I mean, the changes were somewhat noticeable but nothing to go gaga about.
 Is it possible??? Sure it is. And I somewhat confirmed this with Bob. While I am not doubting its positive effect on some other speakers, they sure have little effect on Single Driver and even Horn designs. Like everything else, it is all system dependent and because it did not work quite well in my own setup, doesn't mean anything. As a part of the tour I feel obligated to pass on my findings (good or bad) and those findings are: try before you buy.
Since Bob offers money back warranty if not satisfied, you have nothing to loose.

I hope it works wonders in other systems and I am sure it will work well with Bob's own products.
Surely they were tested and designed with them in mind. So all SP Tech users own it to themselves to try it and come to their own conclusions.

Now I'll pack those up for the next guy on the tour.

Ones again - Thank You Bob and hope that all will workout in your personal life.

Best

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #74 on: 17 Jun 2009, 01:13 pm »
Mariusz,

Thanks for taking the time and giving them a try! :thumb:

Normally I wouldn't post in this thread, but I'd like to share a little of what we're learning about the BBs.  There *seems* to be some correlation with high efficiency speakers and less effect.  Although, I personally heard an obvious improvement on JAM'n Joe's Rethm SD speakers and another guy reported hearing a clear improvement on a pair of 95dB Tannoys.  But then... another gentleman didn't hear "much" on a pair of line-sources.

So I guess I'd say the jury is still out, but be forewarned that the BBs may not offer as much improvement on high efficiency and/or wide dispersion designs.  Sitting/listening more near-field is likelyto help reduce room reflections that tend to "mask" low-level details though... and will probably help.  That's the same concept as is used in recording studios too.

Have fun  :D
-Bob

turkey

« Reply #75 on: 17 Jun 2009, 05:49 pm »

So I guess I'd say the jury is still out, but be forewarned that the BBs may not offer as much improvement on high efficiency and/or wide dispersion designs.  Sitting/listening more near-field is likelyto help reduce room reflections that tend to "mask" low-level details though... and will probably help.  That's the same concept as is used in recording studios too.

Except that most of the near-field monitors in recording studios are sitting on the meter bridge, where they provide loads of reflection off of the mixing console itself. :)

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #76 on: 19 Jun 2009, 06:56 pm »
Friends,

With his permission, the following is a comment regarding the effect of the Black Boxes from one of the tour auditioners:

Bob,

I never thought my Timepiece Mini's sounded congested to begin with, but with the BB's added it's sort of like a window that was already pretty clean... now maybe even the glass has been removed!

Peace,
Paul C. in AZ

Take it for what it's worth.  :green:

-Bob

PTC

« Reply #77 on: 19 Jun 2009, 10:14 pm »
I believe by saying that I mean the soundstage seems more transparent the music just seems to flow a little easier everything just sounds more right!!!

Paul in AZ

juanitox

« Reply #78 on: 23 Jun 2009, 10:05 am »
 :D i have received mine yesterday , and plug it behind a pair of wilson sophia with Jadis tube amplifier .   :o the first impression was this things do nothing to the sound , same image , same bass same middle and treble extension  :scratch:   but after 1 hour of listening session we unplunged the B.B  of  my friends System .  and listen again just to confirm the impression...   and the sound seems to be more aggressive and we could not listening at the same level as when the B.B was on.

later , i plug them to my system , (marten design speaker with Ayon set amplifier) and same result again .  the sound seems more "clean" with the B.B on .  the only flaw is at low level it seems that the B.B eat some details in the treeble and act as "limiter". 
but nothing to compalin at moderate level. :thumb:

i will post later a definitive impression on it.   :wink:

konut

« Reply #79 on: 25 Jun 2009, 12:35 am »
After the post by Mariusz I was curious to try the BB with my Omega A8s. These are single driver aperiodic cabinets using the Visaton B200 8" drivers. I use a contour network with these to lineralise the inherent rising response of the B200. I had these before I got the Timepiece Minis. Previously I had thought the contour network had imposed a strange sonic signature to the sound which caused me to seek a better speaker in the Minis. After hooking up the BBs, there was a smoothness and continuity which was present without the network but was now present WITH the network!  :green: In addition there was a vast sound stage which extended waaay beyond the walls of my listening room. This had never happened previously with the A8s. I have no idea why this is. It makes the sound of the A8s much closer to the Minis. There is a precision and high frequency extension to the sound as well. I'm just wondering why my results are so markedly different from Mariusz. I was not expecting such a dramatic change. I guess the effect of the BBs are VERY system dependent