Slightly off topic- Timepiece with Naim CD?

bixby

« on: 15 Nov 2004, 07:31 pm »
I am thoroughly enjoying my Timepieces.  I will post some notes after I have a bit more time on them.  I am finding that I might want to upgrade my front end from Cary 303/200 CD player to new Naim CD5X.  Does anyone have experience with this new model?  Or any other suggestions under $3k?  I have listened to the Ayre and Linn Ikemi and felt they were both good but a little too focused on the extreme upper end.  Airy, detailed, and all but not driving or dynamic enough.  

Another thought was to use an Apogee Big Ben clock/jitter reducer with the Cary but that adds another digital cable and another component to the mix.

thanks
bixby

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2004, 07:35 pm »
So, you're basically looking for the best digital front end under 3,k?  If it were me, I'd buy the BAT D5 used for under 2,k.  It's 4500 new.  

I've heard nothing but good things about the Naim but I'd like to hear it compared to the BAT... which I have heard and thought it had the most analog sound of any cd player I've ever heard.  

Best of luck.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2004, 07:52 pm »
Bixby, have a look at this modified Jolida JD100. It is very analog sounding and coming from me that says a lot. I listem mostly(90%) of the time to vinyl but since getting this mod I'm finding myself buying and listening to more cd's..  Very Musical. Good Luck with the search.

http://www.soundodyssey.com/Jolida/JD100PS3.html

Darth

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2004, 08:36 pm »
The best CD transport/player I've heard at or below $3K is the modded Sony S7700 from Empirical Audio.  I don't know how you feel about modded equipment, but IMO Steve's mods are bulletproof and world-class.  Besides that, there are at least two of us here (myself and lonewolfny42) who own Timepieces and EA-modified S7700s, and we're both very pleased with the pairing.

I heard a Naim transport and an Ayre player in my system, and to my ears the EA S7700 was clearly superior.

YMMV.

DU

bixby

Mods, mods, mods
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2004, 08:57 pm »
I am a bit gun shy with mods.  You may be aware of the horrible experience I had with one nameless modder and my Sony NS500V dvd player.  For the $ spent I can say it was not a great value.  It still sounds like an under $500 cd player.  And the delay of 9 months was a very hard to stomach.

I am sure, though, that he may have been more the exception rather than the rule.  The Sony mod from EA seems like a nice way to go but then I have to sort out a DAC.  Now I have an ack dac and I think it is good for the money, but I am not sure of how well it will work with a new tranport.  It does well with my NAD in the office system but I am not sure it would replace the Cary overall  when used with it as a transport.  Maybe a Benchmark?  

It would be great if someone north of Denver had one of the EA modded Sony's to bring over.  Perhaps I can burn in some cables for them with my Mobie.

I have seen lots of mods on the Jolidas and Music Halls and other lower cost machines.  They all have the right parts list I guess, but I have never heard one.  Is there anyone doing 30 day trials?

I must also say after hearing all the stuff at the RMAF show and what I have been able to hear of some machines at dealers that the relative differences to me among these machines is small.  But that is me.  I can't see paying $2k or greater for a 10-20% upgrade from where I am now.  That is at most how I view the delta between the Cary and the Linn and Ayre for instance.  The Chord sounded good at $11k for maybe a 30% increase.  

You know how we audiophiles like to magnify improvements, maybe I am becoming a bit more conservative in my old age.  I will say that I can still hear the benefits and justify the improvement of a clearly better power cord over another even at the same retail price level, so I am open.

Any thoughts on DACs for the modded transport route and how do these machines hold up reliability wise?  And any other folks thoughts on the Jolida type mods?

And in a different direction, is there any pro audio type tranport doing well in the audiophile world?  For example, has anyone put together an Apogee D/A or Benchmark with an Apogee Big Ben and a transport?

thanks all for your comments, it keeps me thinking but I guess I need to do some listening before making a decision.

Double Ugly

Re: Mods, mods, mods
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2004, 10:59 pm »
Quote from: bixby
I am a bit gun shy with mods.  You may be aware of the horrible experience I had with one nameless modder and my Sony NS500V dvd player.  For the $ spent I can say it was not a great value.  It still sounds like an under $500 cd player.  And the delay of 9 months was a very hard to stomach.
No, I didn't hear about it.  But there's no need to elaborate...most of us have probably been there at one time or another.

The Sony mod from EA seems like a nice way to go but then I have to sort out a DAC.  Now I have an ack dac and I think it is good for the money, but I am not sure of how well it will work with a new tranport. It does well with my NAD in the office system but I am not sure it would replace the Cary overall when used with it as a transport. Maybe a Benchmark?
FWIW, I use the ack dAck! with mine and am perfectly pleased.  I haven't used the other equipment you listed.

It would be great if someone north of Denver had one of the EA modded Sony's to bring over. Perhaps I can burn in some cables for them with my Mobie.
Have you checked with Mike (mgalusha), Wayne1, Tyson or any of the other members of the DAM?  I could be wrong, but I it seems reasonably likely that someone in the greater Denver area would have one of Steve's units.  If not, Steve has spare reference units that he's willing to send out for a 21-day audition...you just have to pay a refundable deposit.

I have seen lots of mods on the Jolidas and Music Halls and other lower cost machines. They all have the right parts list I guess, but I have never heard one. Is there anyone doing 30 day trials?
Well, I already mentioned the option with Empirical Audio.  Other than that, if you're interested in looking into one of the Jolida CDPs, I'd begin my search with Response Audio.  I've never used any of his products, but Bill has an excellent reputation.

Any thoughts on DACs for the modded transport route and how do these machines hold up reliability wise? And any other folks thoughts on the Jolida type mods?
Like I said, I use the ack dAck! with my modded S7700.  All I know about the modded Jolida units is what I've heard from others, which is what led me to recommended Response Audio.

Good luck in your quest.

DU