New speaker design at RMAF?

Toka

New speaker design at RMAF?
« on: 17 Oct 2007, 04:55 pm »
I saw a pic of the AVA/Salk room and noticed a new lookin' pair of speakers on the side of the room...anyone have any details?  :drool: They look fantastic as always.

Big Red Machine

Re: New speaker design at RMAF?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2007, 05:18 pm »
Phil Bamberg's(sp?) prototype.

brj

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2007, 05:33 pm »

Sparks

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2007, 11:35 pm »
OK Toka, a link to the pic would be nice, no?

Toka

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2007, 11:52 pm »
The best pic I saw is here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=46176.30

Scroll down a bit (they are on the left). I don't want to re-post any pics without knowing who they belong to...permission and all that.

Toka

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2007, 04:57 pm »
Bump...did anyone hear these at the show?

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2007, 06:06 pm »
Toka -

A few people heard them, but not many.  So you aren't likely to get much feedback on the sound.

Allow me to explain.  These speakers were developed by Phil Bamberg (BESL) just before RAMF and we completed the cabinets just in time to pack them up and bring them to the show.  Phil worked on installing the crossovers Thursday and Friday.  We listened to them briefly on Friday evening and they showed a great deal of promise.  But some of us felt they could use some fine-tuning before they were ready for "prime time." (This is almost always the case with any potential new design.)

As to whether or not we will be announcing this model soon, that all depends.  Like I said, they showed great promise.  But we don't like to announce any product until it is ready.  And sometimes projects, although great on paper, just never quite reach the point that we are willing to put our name on them.

When and if they are ready for prime time, we will be happy to spell out all the particulars (some of which are quite unique).  Until then, consider them a promising work in progress.

- Jim

Toka

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2007, 06:13 pm »
Cool...thanks Jim!  8)

Kokishin

• Cirroc: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2008, 09:11 am »
Hi Jim,

Would you be kind enough to provide an update? 

All the best!

Toka -

A few people heard them, but not many.  So you aren't likely to get much feedback on the sound.

Allow me to explain.  These speakers were developed by Phil Bamberg (BESL) just before RAMF and we completed the cabinets just in time to pack them up and bring them to the show.  Phil worked on installing the crossovers Thursday and Friday.  We listened to them briefly on Friday evening and they showed a great deal of promise.  But some of us felt they could use some fine-tuning before they were ready for "prime time." (This is almost always the case with any potential new design.)

As to whether or not we will be announcing this model soon, that all depends.  Like I said, they showed great promise.  But we don't like to announce any product until it is ready.  And sometimes projects, although great on paper, just never quite reach the point that we are willing to put our name on them.

When and if they are ready for prime time, we will be happy to spell out all the particulars (some of which are quite unique).  Until then, consider them a promising work in progress.

- Jim

BradJudy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2008, 09:45 pm »
Hi Jim,

Would you be kind enough to provide an update? 

All the best!

Phil Bamberg now works full time for AV123 - http://www.av123forum.com/showpost.php?p=508602&postcount=86

I suspect this means any of his designs are more likely to come from that shop than Jim's.