Nottingham Interspace, VPI Scout, and tables in that range.

Hantra

All:

I was going to get a Horizon, but now I can dedicate more funds to a rig.  If you had around $1500+ to buy a table, what would you get?

Is the Interspace much better than the Horizon?

Ones I am seeing are the Interspace, the Scout, and a couple others that are high value, but still sort of high end decks.

Keep in mind I am coming off a Systemdek IIX with a Profile arm. . .

Thanks,

B

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2003, 05:36 am »
i am (of course!   :)  ) partial to my oracle delphi.   i got an original oracle used, had it upgraded to full mk-v specs, except for the motor/power supply, where i opted for an origin-live dc motor kit.  i upgraded its power supply w/a lab-grade hewlett packard unit.  i replaced the grace tonearm which it came with, w/an origin-live rb-250, added a sumiko pib-2 interface box, & alphacore micropurl-ag i/c's.  i also got the latest-style suspension pillar caps, but haven't installed 'em...  (doesn't affect function, only aesthetics - the functional suspension mods are internal.)  i have yust under $2k into it, & i still haven't sold the grace tonearm, yet...

doug s., done w/turntable upgrades...

Rocket

music hall
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2003, 10:23 am »
hello hantra,

have you thought about the new music hall 9 turntable it is supposed to be very good.

regards

rod

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2003, 02:09 pm »
Don't know if you've got a local dealer or not but you might get input from Hollywood Sound in Fl??? Larry carries both Nott' & VPI so might give advice on how to spend $$.  I've gotten speakers from him and a second hand TT, and a number of Asylum inmates have gotten both VPI & Nott' TT's new.

nature boy

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2003, 02:47 pm »
I second Tonto's suggestion of calling Larry at Hollywood Sound.  I was in the same dilemna as you last year, but with no local dealers that carried both products.  After reading reviews and comments at several sites I called Larry to talk about both the Nottingham Interspace and Scout TT's.  He really knows analog systems and is a long time dealer of both VPI and Nottingham lines.  The Interspace is head and shoulders better than the Horizon IMHO.

Bottom line, I ended up with the Interspace, VPI moddified Rega RB300 arm and Dynavector 10X4mkII cartridge with a budget of $1500 - $1700.  I couldn't be more pleased.  One of the big keys for great analog sound is having the TT perfectly level and well isolated from resonances, footfalls if wood floors, etc. I found the Interspace does extremely well on a modified IKEA Lack end table and plan to also purchase a Neuance shelf unit, with my converted basement listening room w/ concrete subflooring.

The only upgrade I would ever consider beyond the Interspace, other than a cartridge upgrade, would be one of Chris Brady's beautiful Teres turntables.  I simply did not have enough of a budget to make this happen, maybe someday.

Happy analog hunting.

NB

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2003, 02:50 pm »
Doh!  P.S. - my review of the Interspace is posted in the Critics Circle, in case you missed it.

NB

Mathew_M

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2003, 03:27 pm »
There's an interesting thread buried over on AA similar to this one (well there's probably hundreds but this one is recent).  I figured someday when I upgrade it would be the scout because of it's bang for the buck.  It seems however there are a few people over there that find the scout and vpi tables in general to be un-involving musically.  If I spend $1600 on a table that still leaves me wanting I'm going to be dissapointed.  How does the Teres and Nottingham compare musically to the Vpi?

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2003, 03:35 pm »
Quote from: Mathew_M
There's an interesting thread buried over on AA similar to this one (well there's probably hundreds but this one is recent).  I figured someday when I upgrade it would be the scout because of it's bang for the buck.  It seems however there are a few people over there that find the scout and vpi tables in general to be un-involving musically.  If I spend $1600 on a table that still leaves me wanting I'm going to be dissapointed.  How does the Teres and Nottingham compare musically to the Vpi?

It is hard to talk about the Teres without also talking about what arm and cartridge are used with it.

The arm and cartridge do not come with the Teres so you cannot make blanket statements about it (Teres) VS a table which normally comes with a set arm, or a choice of a family of arms like the VPI.

I am very happy with my Teres with shot loaded platter and SME IV arm and Symphonic Line RG8 (Modded VDH Grasshopper) cartridge.

I use the CI Audio VPP 1 phono pre with upgraded power supply.  I will get the VPP 1 converted to a VPP2 in about 2 weeks for my low output cartridge.

Right now (as of last night) I am using a K & K step up transformer.  Thanks Wayne!

Tonto Yoder

One minor thing about the Interspace vs. Spacedeck
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2003, 03:43 pm »
I have the Nott' Spacedeck, but several people who have contacted Larry have ended up with the Interspace (this was while Nott' was offering the upgraded platter with the Interspace).  I think the Interspace is more attractive because it's more neutral in physical color than the black with blue marbleizing of the Space. That's not a BIG deal, but not irrelevant esp. if the Interspace is close to the Space in sound.

I haven't heard either the Interspace or the VPI's, so I can't comment on the sound.  Here's a pic from A Asylum

Beezer

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2003, 05:02 pm »
I can't make comparisons with the VPI Scout, but I am very happy with my Nottingham Interspace table.  I bought it for $800 used, found a used Origin Live Silver tonearm for $550 and bought a new Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge for $400.  It's a pretty nice rig for $1750, certainly beats the hell out of the Rega P3, Origin Live OL-1, Dynavector 10X4 combo I had previously.

Beez