Tube Buffer Necessary?

RockySqrl

Re: Tube Buffer Necessary?
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jan 2012, 01:27 am »
Thanks for clearing that up, Jason. Regards.

AndrewH

« Reply #41 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:40 am »
I have a fully loaded Sensation M901 with tube buffer, battery supply, and cap upgrades, and even though there was an improvement rolling the stock tube to a fancier one, ultimately I prefer the sound without the tube buffer.  For tone control I do have a phase-coherent digital FIR equalizer running in software, but that's a different story.  :)

audiobat

« Reply #42 on: 25 Jan 2012, 09:06 pm »
I agree with Andrew, I tried a tube buffer recently and it just added noise.

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:58 am »
 Noted.

I'm really hoping that I can have Jason install ClarityCaps in the Three, and maybe have the option to have both high and low with ClarityCaps and leave the jumper option intact. Maybe make the chassis a smidge larger? If not possible, I'm sure there are other options that can be worked out.

I'm just really hooked on this sound with the Two on Clarity's and batteries. With the Three I'm hoping to get the same but with bigger power and the possibility of keeping the jumpers and choosing between high and full range.

Anyway, looking forwards to your further refinement of the sound.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2012, 05:52 am by Rclark »

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #44 on: 28 Jan 2012, 05:31 am »
Hi guys.

This an update on my previous post. So after a hundred hours or so, i can confirm what i have said previously about the clarity caps. They give a more tubby sound which is good when you have Gallo 3.1 speakers. Better definition and dynamics as well.

The sound has acquired some missing depth. The caps are becoming a little leaner but still very enjoyable. I think they're great.

Finally, I spent so much time on the Hifi Collective site that i took a chance on ordering an Alps Blue Beauty pot and spent 2 hours fitting it in tonight (which required some drilling in the faceplate). So far, it seems like a significant upgrade. I get more transparency, basically. So i have become a DIYer within one week and feel great about it!

Tuning the Sensation is fun hobby.

Take care.

Fred

How much was the Alps blue beauty? I find the volume pot on the Sensation to be sensitive. I listen mostly without the Virtue "knob". Thanks Fred.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #45 on: 28 Jan 2012, 05:43 am »
That's odd. The battery Dodd pre's and buffers are famous for being dead silent.  You may hear a tube, but only if you have very high efficiency speakers. :scratch:
Scott

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #46 on: 28 Jan 2012, 05:50 am »

WHAT!
Where is this stuff coming from?
I have found the exact opposite with a decent tube!
Cheap cryo'd tube impostors sound like junk!
Using my NOS tubes gives a "space black" background and a true Virtue clarity!

« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2012, 02:02 pm by tabrink »

abernardi

« Reply #47 on: 28 Jan 2012, 06:46 am »
Yeah, I have to agree, I heard some noise from the buffer the first time I fired it up on VERY sensitive speakers, but even on those, after 1/2 hour it was very quiet.  When I took the buffer out of the chain, the sound became two dimensional and plastic (can't think of a better way to describe it, sorry).  It's strange how different components interact with each other and then add different ears and it's no wonder there are so many audio manufacturers!

FredA

« Reply #48 on: 1 Feb 2012, 03:16 am »
Sorry for taking so long to reply. The Blue Beauty is 55$ or so, shipped. The one from Hifi Collective has a round shaft as opposed the flat one and fits a little tight inside the Sensation. Besides the drilling in the face plate (so that the pin locking the pot for rotation comes through) I also drilled the hole in the knob to make it round.

As for the pot, no problem whatsoever so far. It sounds a little bit better as well.

cynan

« Reply #49 on: 19 Feb 2012, 08:01 pm »
For anyone currently looking for the Clarity MR caps, they are available from PartsConnexion.

How do these compare to the Auricaps that originally came with the 901?

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #50 on: 20 Feb 2012, 12:36 am »
Yeah, I have to agree, I heard some noise from the buffer the first time I fired it up on VERY sensitive speakers, but even on those, after 1/2 hour it was very quiet.  When I took the buffer out of the chain, the sound became two dimensional and plastic (can't think of a better way to describe it, sorry).  It's strange how different components interact with each other and then add different ears and it's no wonder there are so many audio manufacturers!

SET amps are my favorite to use in my system. I do not have a tube buffer. I chose instead the MR caps. Worth all the trouble installing it. My 95db speakers love the dramatic increase in performance. I wonder how the tube buffer will sound with this new set up. I believe Jason said it once that it was not necessary.