Virtue Audio puts a smile on my face.

Racer X

Virtue Audio puts a smile on my face.
« on: 25 Jan 2012, 08:09 am »
My story starts off that the 2011 California audio show. I heard a pair of speakers that peaked my interest, and had already been reading the Virtue forums nightly for almost 8 months or so. Having studied all the posts by owners, I was ready to order.

I purchased a Sensation 901 with the tube buffer and battery power, Jason installed Clarity Caps for me. A 12 AX7 PSVANE tube was also installed and turned the unit on. After listening for about an hour I came to the conclusion that it had a little better base and more air on top, than my current amp.

The next month or so I let it play all day while I was at work, and would listen a bit to it while working around house. Then I started to notice things I hadn't heard before on songs that I have listened to 100 times or more. A guitar riff would come along, and I would catch myself saying "dang that sounds good". Finally a few more months passed, and I drove down to the dealer that had demoed the speakers that had caught my interest at the show.

As luck would have it, he no longer had them in stock. However he had a used pair of Wilson Maxxes that he said cost $80K new but I could purchase for a discounted rate of $14K (what a deal). Now if I could only figure a way to move speakers around my house that weigh 1200 lbs each. Next he hooked up a pair of Parasound JC1 amps, which he informed me were only $9k a pair and a Mark Levinson Pre amp that was only $7.5K. I wasn't too impressed so he switched to a pair of Revel Salons, and told me to be prepared to hear a better sounding speaker, that was a much better value with a retail of $22k, that I could have for $17K.

I agree that the Revels sounded much better, next I asked the owner if I could hear them with my Sensation amp and he agreed. I brought it in and the cover was off, and he commented on the clean layout, parts and construction of the unit and asked me the make of the amp, so I told him.

He hooked up the amp to $30k worth of MIT cables, and I was curious to see if his amp and pre amp were an huge improvement over the Sensation or if the Virtue would be even close. What I didn't expect was the Sensation to sound better. The JC1 were more articulate in the mid range and top end, but the Sensation kicked the crap out of them in the bass and had a fuller sound and better tone, and more of a tube like sound which I prefer.

The owner commented a few times on how good the Sensation sounded, and that it held its own against his system. I didn't have the balls to tell him, I could fill all 11 rooms in mine and my neighbors house with Sensations for what his Amp and pre amp cost.  As I left the dealer's store I had a big smile on my face, and thought he was lucky that no other customers were there to witness what took place.

On the way home I thought, if I had purchased his system and then heard the comparison with the Sensation I would probably want to beat my head against the concrete for an extended amount of time. Thanks to Seth and Jason and Cami for a great product and a great value.

Scott

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Virtue Audio puts a smile on my face.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2012, 08:06 am »
Scott, that's a great story and thanks for sharing.  Put a big smile on MY face too ;-)

Thanks again.

Seth

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2012, 12:23 pm »
If you are still looking at speakers, go to your Anthony Gallo dealer with your Sensation and listen to the new Classico IV's. This will put another big smile on your face and then you can thank yourself for not buying those $14K or $17K speakers. The IV's retail for $3495 and are a huge giant killer in a very tiny footprint. The value will be equal to your Sensation amp. WAF is also very high on these.

The main secret to these speakers is no power robbing cross-overs. Vocals are much better with no cross-overs too. The Classico's have Electrostatic-like quickness and detail but with better imaging and dynamics.

Racer X

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:58 pm »
Tom
Thanks for the information,also thanks for all your previous post. While being impressed with what I saw with the Sensation it was your post that pushed me over the edge to give it a try. As far as speakers go the one I went to here were 7000 but he no longer had them in stock, I know you always want to try and upsale but I wasn't  interested in the ones he said I had to here because they were almost three times the price of what I came to see. But since I had already made the drive I figured I'd give them a listen. I curently have  a pair of strada minis and a pair of Zu Audio Soul Superflys which in my opinion are both giant killers. I just purchased a EE Mini Max Dac next  will be room treatments. I'm also
Looking forward to a virtue dac.

Racer X

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2012, 04:10 pm »
Tom
I plan to purchase speaker cables  and IC  today from both virtue and wywires as I already have mono price now, so  I will have  a range from ultra cheap to great value to great to great according to audiocircle forums will see we're my ears find the value. As far as speakers go I'll  for sure listen to the gallos, but am probably leaning towards GR -Research Super V but that will probably be in the summer.
Thanks again I value your opinions.

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:07 am »
The Virtue cables are also a best buy. Make sure you get their USB cable also, if you go USB. The Virtue cables have similar sound characteristics that those 30K MIT cables have.

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:08 am »
 :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2012, 01:14 am »
Who said you have to spend 100K to get a killer system, when a 6K will do the same thing.