Clarity Caps / Dodd Buffer burn in - and interconnects too

Trismos

I have received my upgraded M-901 compliments of Jason; Clarity Caps and one of the last of his own Dodd Buffer kits (as I understood it). I had asked recently about the burn in for the Caps and was told the speakers didn't have to be going for the Caps to burn in. Is this the case then for both the Dodd Buffer and any interconnects I have between the amp and the dac / source?

As a very relevant side note, I have about 100 hours on the Caps and Buffer but just swapped out some new interconnects so am curious about the subject above. I have been running the laptop / dac / amp fairly quietly and came home at lunch today. I sat in my listening chair and turned up the volume and Dire Straits was playing so I decided to 'fall into it' for a tad.

I am a drummer / percussionist, so certain things have more weight to me when I am listening to a recording than other things. I can only say that today I heard the timber of a snare as something I only listen for in real life.

One of my favorite recordings, though overly bright in the upper registers, is Dire Straits, Private Investigations. This is totally a mood song. What a wonderful piece.

Very cool.

RD
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2011, 01:05 pm by Trismos »

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: Clarity Caps / Dodd Buffer burn in - and interconnects too
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2011, 04:21 am »
Are you talking about Clarity MR's?  If so, they don't change much with burn in ... they're very close to 100% right out of the box.

Trismos

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2011, 01:02 pm »
Are you talking about Clarity MR's?  If so, they don't change much with burn in ... they're very close to 100% right out of the box.

Now I'm not sure. BIG white suckers.

Jason?

Regards
Dave

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2011, 12:11 am »
Now I'm not sure. BIG white suckers.

Jason?

Regards
Dave

Clarity Mr caps Dave  :) they are a light blue unless they got cold on the way to your house and froze  :lol:

they are amazing caps and I haven't found a better cap period

Trismos

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2011, 01:07 am »
Clarity Mr caps Dave  :) they are a light blue unless they got cold on the way to your house and froze  :lol:

they are amazing caps and I haven't found a better cap period

Thx Jason. My kit has never sounded better. What is your take on the buffer and interconnects "burn-in"? Do I need to be running the speakers for this? I'm thinking no but...

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2011, 02:34 am »
Thx Jason. My kit has never sounded better. What is your take on the buffer and interconnects "burn-in"? Do I need to be running the speakers for this? I'm thinking no but...

No is correct.  If your burning in speaker cables or speakers then yes.

Trismos

« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2011, 02:39 am »
Waking Hours by Vienna Teng

It's all really good but "Gravity" is audiophile perfume.

Sorry. Off topic a tad but I AM listening to her on my Jason modified M-901 .... something like a blown small block with a little laughing gas.

RD

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2012, 12:06 am »

this was my experience too

TQdB

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2012, 09:39 am »
I heard some bloom...

Jason gives those some burn-in time before going out the door, so you're not quite hearing new when it gets there...

Even so, I could tell a shift from its arrival state (to change terminology) once at about 'twelve hours' (however many that would be when adding Jason's own burn-in) and again at what I would estimate was more like 'seventy' ... in both bass and stage depth.

Which was amazing really from moment-one. Now, one would strain for sufficient adjectives ... sublime maybe, empyrean, superlative. -- Did I mention this thing's pretty good?  :green:

(This was running extreme resolution floorstanders of my own design and two highly demanding HD mixes I've heard hundreds of times, actually named "Burn-In", so if anything changes in a system it's always evident. Most systems just cavitate to this mix in some way, or many. They've really made a stunning amp with the battery-powered 901 running MR's.)

*btw, off subject a bit, -- this amp/speaker combination is almost never turned up higher than 9 O'clock. 10 O'clock is "neighbors loud" and this isn't an apartment. If it ever is higher than 10 O'clock, it's because the material itself has a lower than normal output levels. If material with normal levels is put in next without turning down first it'll blow your head off. -- There was another thread on watts (vs speaker design), will try to get around to posting more to it later. I don't want to necessarily vote to prevent a higher-powered future version, but in the Spinal Tap measure of "11", ... my Sensation goes to "4" ... because in this combo 4 is 11.

50jess

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2012, 12:07 am »
TQdb, what speakers are you using?

TQdB

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2012, 06:30 pm »

50jess hey, don't want to hijack the thread, these are from some pat-pend stuff I'll be putting out this year. Can't say a lot but if you want to, PM me and I can say a little more..

Trismos

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2012, 11:05 pm »
 :|

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2012, 04:01 am »
50jess hey, don't want to hijack the thread, these are from some pat-pend stuff I'll be putting out this year. Can't say a lot but if you want to, PM me and I can say a little more..

dont be shy  :wink:
we like show and tell here!
I'm working on some new 3-ways myself should be about 87db and good from 30-35000hz
they'll take about 200 watts but the sensation will get them plenty loud.
I'll throw up some pics once they are closer to being finished.

as for now here is my fairly simple setup.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2012, 05:11 am »
Jason
Those stand mounts look sweet! I should probably demo them.
tom
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2012, 03:32 pm by tabrink »

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2012, 07:32 am »
Oh MAN, that color scheme is way cool. On top of the sound quality, Virtue has hands down the best looking gear, by miles.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2012, 07:02 pm »
Jason
Those stand mounts look sweet! I should probably demo them.
tom

Tom
If only I had the time lately to finish fine tuning them!
Not to mention I'm changing the woofers to these
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/peerless-woofers-6-7/peerless-830883-exclusive-nomex-7-woofer/

With the peerless woofers they will be faster with better midbass and will still get down into the mid 40's

Trismos

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2012, 07:32 pm »
dont be shy  :wink:
we like show and tell here!
I'm working on some new 3-ways myself should be about 87db and good from 30-35000hz
they'll take about 200 watts but the sensation will get them plenty loud.
I'll throw up some pics once they are closer to being finished.

as for now here is my fairly simple setup.

I like how you've set your room up on the corner. I might try that yet if I can figure out how to make it work in my smallish room. What is the smaller device on the middle piece of equipment if you don't mind my asking?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2012, 01:00 am »
What is the smaller device on the middle piece of equipment if you don't mind my asking?

thats my HIFIMan EF5 headphone amp

sDc

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2012, 03:19 am »
Jason - Regarding your outer set of speakers, what kind are they?  DIY?

Also, which sensation amp is driving the speakers - 451?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2012, 02:55 am »
Jason - Regarding your outer set of speakers, what kind are they?  DIY?

Also, which sensation amp is driving the speakers - 451?

Yes DIY I built them using GR research mids & tweeters and a peerless 6-1/2" woofer on the rear.
(the mid's in the picture are Fostex mid's I was testing)
I'll be selling them in a few weeks.

Modified M451 (caps and wire)
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2012, 03:11 am by Jason T »