Reference 3A 4.1 system?

rbrb

Reference 3A 4.1 system?
« on: 17 Jan 2005, 07:01 pm »
Hello people

Do you folks think that using a pair of MM de Capo i for the front channels and a pair of Dulcet for the rears would be a well matched 4.1 system. Are they voiced similarly?

panderso

Reference 3a's in 4.1 mode
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2005, 08:19 pm »
My humble input:  the de Capo's and the Dulcets have a significantly different voice, to my ear at least.  You could certainly try 2 and 2; but for the modest price difference I'm not sure 4 de Capos wouldn't match better.  I offer this as someone completely enamoured of the Dulcets, which I personally prefer for my small room, near-field listening, and musical tastes. By all means experiment before buying  if you can.

CharlesL

Reference 3A 4.1 system?
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2005, 12:17 pm »
I cannot comment on using the Dulcets as rears, I can tell you though that I am using 4 De Capo I's in my HT set as well (together with 2 subs) and as rear speakers they sound great too, both in movies as in music DVD's.

I also think that if you're not going for 4 exact the same speakers the Dulcets will still be a better choice for rears than speakers from a different brand. Try auditioning them at home so you can find out for yourself.

btw, I'm running in phantom mode and thusfar I do not miss a centerspeaker at all.

rbrb

Reference 3A 4.1 system?
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2005, 05:16 am »
4 De Capo I's makes the most sense.  I prefer to listen in 4.1 with a phantom center also.  It took me a while to get my stereo performance where it is I find center channels tend to remove soundstage depth.

OwenMeany

Reference 3A 4.1 system?
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2005, 12:01 am »
Having reviewed both speakers for Positive Feedback, I would have to say, although they are brethern, they are different. I am not sure this difference is big enough NOT to use the Dulcets as rears...In the end, I would give it a try...

standingwave

• http://www.nfaudio.com
Reference 3A 4.1 system?
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2005, 07:36 pm »
Hi,

I actually have that exact setup right now. (De Capos up front and Dulcets for the rear, in a 4.1 configuration)
I love the setup, and haven't noticed any issues with tonal differences between the speakers.
I am using a Linar 10 (5.1 Integrated amplifier) to combine two-channel with home theatre, and for the first time, I am happy with the sound of both sources of entertainment.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the De Capos and Dulcets in a 4.1 configuration. Reference 3A does have a centre channel version of both the De Capo and the Dulcet, but I am satisfied with the 4.1 setup for now.

Cheers,

Derek Stewart

melville

same exact
« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2005, 09:07 pm »
Apropos of nothing more than my disdain for popular culture, it is so refreshing to see that standingwave used 'exact' and not the current, grammatically egregious redundancy - 'same exact'.