IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

rustydoglim

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #560 on: 7 May 2019, 07:08 am »
IDA-8 is a better integrated (better DAC/preamp) with more power.  The amp is warmer for IDA-8 and more powerful than the one in IDA-6.  For the same power, IDA-6's amp is not necessary worst than ID-8, just different, more neutral.

But since we are talking about integrated, so the sum of all parts of IDA-8 make it much better than IDA-6.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #561 on: 7 May 2019, 11:36 pm »
Hi,

I’m contemplating if I should buy the IDA 6 or 8. I understand that the 8 is more powerful but how’s the difference in sound quality, etc?
The 6 seems to have more features like two optical in and 4 pairs of banana plugs. Why?
The idea is to drive a pair of totem dreamcatcher speakers. Any thoughts and recommendations?

/PF
Also, Totems like a bit more juice (even the newer 8 Ohm speakers!), so I'd go with the 8.

For what it's worth, some folks here have not warmed up to the IDA-6 sound.  I think it's more oriented to restaurants and other type of places where music is more intended as a background rather than the main focus point.

Go with the 8!  But I know about your frustration about the two optical inputs. I complained about this and ended up buying the DAC-10 + ST-10 (4x the cost of the ida 8!) just to get the extra inputs.

Rafa.

Dexter_prog

« Reply #562 on: 19 May 2019, 06:42 pm »
Do you guys leave your IDa-8 running 24/7 (even when you are not using it or not gonna use it for some hours/days)? I read that class D amps should be left running, but I'm uncertain if this applies to the IDA-8 being it Class A+D.

tomlinmgt

« Reply #563 on: 19 May 2019, 07:21 pm »
I find my IDA-8 to not need much warm up time to get into its sweet zone...20-30 mins, maybe....so I turn it off when not in use. My Threshold (A/B) and First Watt F5 clone (A) are a totally different story and are best  left on.

onurb

« Reply #564 on: 20 May 2019, 09:09 am »
I leave my IDA 8 on standby, except when I leave home for a few days.
I take this opportunity for a question: why is the analogue input of the IDA 8 digitized? What would the benefits be? I'm very satisfied with this amp, but having a turntable too, the idea that the analogue input is digitized annoys me a bit, although I must admit that in the end the sound is still good.

Greetings,
Bruno

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #565 on: 20 May 2019, 05:54 pm »
There are no "benefits".  It's a design issue: it's easier to have a single output flow, which, since you have a DAC in the IDA-8, is required to go through digital.  So the analog inputs are passed through the same process to simplify the device and keep costs low.

On the more expensive DAC-9 and DAC-10, this is not the case, and analog audio is kept analog. This is better, but more expensive.

Makes sense?
Best,
Rafa.

onurb

« Reply #566 on: 22 May 2019, 06:27 am »
Thanks for your answer.
But do you think the Nuforce IA7 V3 or IDA 8 is better?

Bruno

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #567 on: 22 May 2019, 06:20 pm »
I have not followed NuForce after they split in two companies, leaving NuPrime with the "high end" products.

Still, there is still some overlap.  In this case, I have not heard the IA7.  But here are basic questions first: the NuForce hasn't a DAC, it's only an analog-source amp.  Are you 100% sure you won't need the DAC?

For the price of the NuForce, you can find interesting alternatives.

You have stumbled upon an interesting approach from NuPrime that presents its own complications: NuPrime has Power Amplifiers on one hand and DACs + PRE amplifiers on the other hand.

This leaves the "key" amplification alone, but leaves you without volume control.  PREs and DACs are combined.  Other houses (Moon by Simaudio comes to mind) offer standalone DACs and have a large portion of their product line in Integrated Amplifiers, which mix the PRE + AMP in the same device.  This allows for the "sources" to be more independent.

In your case, and for the money of the NuForce, you could buy a STA-9 which is probably a much better amp, but then... what to do for volume control?  Still, with what's left from the $1400 or more from the NuForce (vs the $700 of the STA-9) you could buy a phono preamp.

What are your other sources that you are considering the NuForce?

Rafa.

jonbee

« Reply #568 on: 22 May 2019, 08:14 pm »
I received my IDA-8 this week. It is a very neutral, detailed and open sounding amp, much like the rest of the Nuprime line. Not as much depth as the Dac-10/ST10 however. The main difference I hear is that it sounds a bit dynamically polite with not as much slam compared to the bigger offerings. That extra slam will cost $$, if you want to keep the other wonderful qualities and features this model has.
Accordingly I'm not sure it is a good choice for hard to drive speakers played loudly in bigger rooms, but it is a very good value for its sweet, clear sound where brute force is not required.
I'm using it in a 12x16 room with a pair of very high rez 87 dbw $$$ speakers, and it is wonderful.
Very nice operating features for the $, too.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2019, 11:03 pm by jonbee »

onurb

« Reply #569 on: 23 May 2019, 06:36 am »
Thanks for the answers.
I have a lot of difficulty thinking that I have to change IDA 8, because I like it a lot. I was thinking of some alternative, like the Nuforce, because of the digitized analogue input, the only thing I don't like about Nuprime.
I would take a nice couple ST10 / DAC10, but it costs enough.

Bruno

John Casler

« Reply #570 on: 23 May 2019, 04:24 pm »
Thanks for the answers.
I have a lot of difficulty thinking that I have to change IDA 8, because I like it a lot. I was thinking of some alternative, like the Nuforce, because of the digitized analogue input, the only thing I don't like about Nuprime.

Bruno

Bruno,

Check with your dealer, you might be able to "trade up" to a DAC-9/STA-9 or DAC-10/ST10 for an affordable price.

rustydoglim

« Reply #571 on: 23 May 2019, 09:18 pm »
Thanks for the answers.

Bruno

IDA-16 ?

onurb

« Reply #572 on: 24 May 2019, 07:09 am »
Yes, I would also love the IDA 16, but in Italy it costs enough, € 2300. I will think about it.

Greetings,
Bruno

Dexter_prog

« Reply #573 on: 25 May 2019, 03:17 pm »
I leave my IDA 8 on standby, except when I leave home for a few days.
I take this opportunity for a question: why is the analogue input of the IDA 8 digitized? What would the benefits be? I'm very satisfied with this amp, but having a turntable too, the idea that the analogue input is digitized annoys me a bit, although I must admit that in the end the sound is still good.

Greetings,
Bruno

By "stand-by" you mean back switch turned on and powered off by the remote, right? I tried leaving it on (meaning, turned on and running) and I noticed it got very hot, like toasty hot after a couple of days. The thing is, I use my IDA-8 as my sound interface in Windows, in order to use my passive speakers. So it is kind of a bummer having to switch it on and off every time I want to, say, just watch a random youtube video (instead of listening to music, which is its main use for me)

What do you think, RafaPolit?

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #574 on: 25 May 2019, 05:16 pm »
Well, I'm nothing but an enthusiast, so take my answer as simply my point of view  :)

I agree that your scenario is the one area which is not comfortable with passives and amps and etc.  My solution was to add desktop computer speakers (Logitech 5.1 system) that stays on all the time connected to the computer's audio 5.1 output, and configured as the default sound output device.

Then, when I want critical listening, I switch the output (either via control panel, or, more commonly, by the app performing the playing, like Audirvana, or Roon, etc.) to the DAC that is connected to the 'good' system.

Still, there is some overhead involved in this procedure, but takes away the need to turn on everything just to watch bloopers on YouTube or the news.

A really nice alternative, would be very good active wireless speakers, like the KEF LSx (or whatever the new small ones are called) which will solve all your needs and still leave you with great sound all around.

Where I live, power is not all that reliable, I only leave DACs on at all times, all my other equipment is turned off / on as required.  Even the DAC-10 is always on standby and not on all the time.

That's me, I'm sure others have other approaches.

Hope this helps,
Rafa.

Dexter_prog

« Reply #575 on: 25 May 2019, 08:37 pm »
Well, I'm nothing but an enthusiast, so take my answer as simply my point of view  :)

I agree that your scenario is the one area which is not comfortable with passives and amps and etc.  My solution was to add desktop computer speakers (Logitech 5.1 system) that stays on all the time connected to the computer's audio 5.1 output, and configured as the default sound output device.

Then, when I want critical listening, I switch the output (either via control panel, or, more commonly, by the app performing the playing, like Audirvana, or Roon, etc.) to the DAC that is connected to the 'good' system.

Still, there is some overhead involved in this procedure, but takes away the need to turn on everything just to watch bloopers on YouTube or the news.

A really nice alternative, would be very good active wireless speakers, like the KEF LSx (or whatever the new small ones are called) which will solve all your needs and still leave you with great sound all around.

Where I live, power is not all that reliable, I only leave DACs on at all times, all my other equipment is turned off / on as required.  Even the DAC-10 is always on standby and not on all the time.

That's me, I'm sure others have other approaches.

Hope this helps,
Rafa.

Yeah, I was considering getting cheap speakers and use my PCs onboard card as output, but I don't have any (if only my dad hadn't put those old Edifiers who knows where, haha). I'm actually using my screens audio speaker for YT videos, but well, it sounds worse than corded phone. At least it's better than nothing.

Pf

« Reply #576 on: 26 May 2019, 11:23 am »
Rustydoglim and Rafa thanks for your answer!
I went with the IDA-8 and have now had it for a week or two. Really pleased with the performance!

Only, issue is that one optical input... which is a shame on an otherwise really good product

jonbee

« Reply #577 on: 26 May 2019, 03:21 pm »
I went with the IDA-8 and have now had it for a week or two. Really pleased with the performance!
Only, issue is that one optical input... which is a shame on an otherwise really good product
It is a real sweet piece of gear for the price- build (and size!), sonics, and features. I love mine, beautifully powering my Eggleston speakers in a smallish room. I know of none that can offer as much for the $.
Wiring up I/Os is a significant part of cost of production, so lower cost items have fewer. It is also a way to encourage us to move up to more $ options.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #578 on: 26 May 2019, 04:43 pm »
Here, I had a similar process and actually decided on the 10s exactly because I wanted more inputs: TV, airport express, etc. It meant spending 3 times as much as the IDA (there are a lot of threads about me asking all sorts of questions).

The truth is that now I have the TV via optical, and a RPi via USB and this is all I need.

In the living room, it's even simpler: a single RPi via Coaxial (Allo DigiOne) is all the inputs we will ever need.

I know this won't be everyone's case, but I encourage you to think about costs elsewhere: instead of spending more for more inputs, perhaps a Roon license is enough to send everything to a device like he RPi and you have a hell of an streamer.  Or a chromecast in the TV (or AppleTV or Fire, or whatever is to your taste) will allow for a single TV to be the central hub of a setup. (With the TV on at all times, of course).

So, after voicing protests against the number of inputs myself, I now think differently and think these are more than enough.

Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy.
Rafa.

Pf

« Reply #579 on: 28 May 2019, 08:16 pm »
Rafe - agree that it always possible to find work arounds. Especially if one can use the Coaxial input but I get the feeling that Coaxial is becoming less common. However the Allo is one opinion. I need the optic in for my tv.

Regarding another topic above. Was it okay to have it on standby at all time or should I turn it of in the back?