First Post...just ordered Songtowers!!

wiz

First Post...just ordered Songtowers!!
« on: 19 Feb 2008, 01:27 am »
Thanks to all of you for the excellent advice. I've had Odyssey gear in the past, so I'm no stranger to mail order systems, and I'm thrilled to have found someone who seems to care as much about customer care as Klaus.
The songtowers seem like they will be a perfect fit for me...need a smaller footprint for a small room, but don't want to give up soundstage, dynamics, low level detail, or bass. Odyssey's Lorelei provided amazing bass from a single 6" driver, and the Songtowers seem to have similar characteristics. I'm justifying busting my budget a little because I won't need stands or a sub (hopefully).
I'll be running them with a Naim Nait 5i (any thoughts??), and I ordered the standard cherry finish (which looks unbelievable in posted pics...thanks again!!). I wish I had the guts to try a "smokey silver" or fancier finish, but promised my wife I'd behave.
Anything I'm missing? Any recommendations before they're produced? Just want to make sure I'm not kicking myself for forgetting something.
Again, Thanks for the wonderful posts and advice. You made this an easy decision.

jam2001

Re: First Post...just ordered Songtowers!!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2008, 06:34 am »
Definitely let us know how they sound once you get them!

BrianM

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2008, 10:45 am »
Anything I'm missing? Any recommendations before they're produced? Just want to make sure I'm not kicking myself for forgetting something.

Recommendation #1: Buy more recordings.  Suggestions for reference-quality stuff are in abundance here on AC, as you probably know.

#2: Don't kick yourself, kick back and relax instead.  I haven't heard the SongTowers yet, but I have heard Jim's HT3s.  Jim brought both speakers to the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival, to exhibit with Frank Van Alstine's stuff.  Frank's verdict: he'd have been perfectly happy showing off his gear with just the SongTowers.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2008, 03:36 pm »

Recommendation #3  Get a hat with a sturdy chin strap.

When you hear those SongTowers, your jaw is gonna drop.  That chin strap might help keep people from thinking you are a slack jawed fool.  :roll:

wiz

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2008, 04:57 pm »
R Swerdlow,
If you're the Richard that has the cherry songtower picture links....those pics won me over. No offense to Jim, but his photos seem "washed out" (I know he doesn't claim to be a master photographer). Most of the pics by customers really show the color and grain of the cabinets much better.
I guess what I'm trying to say is...they seem like very well designed and built speakers, but I feel I won't appreciate their beauty until I see them in person.
By the way, Jim's been very easy and professional to deal with. It's been a pleasure thus far.

wiz

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2008, 04:58 pm »
Also...what are people using to drive their Songtowers?? Just curious about what you've found that works well. Thanks!!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:16 pm »
I'm sure everyone has a favorite amp, but just about anything will work (other than a tube amp that absolutely can't handle a 4 ohm load.)  They don't need much power, and there aren't any areas where impedance falls below 4 ohms. 

wiz

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2008, 05:48 pm »
Thanks,
I have a Nait 5i (that I still haven't used yet), and hope it will match ok. I know another Songtower owner has some Naim gear that seems to work well, even though it's only about 50 w/ch and prefers an 8ohm load. I'm not too worried, as many have indicated the Songtowers are an "easy" 4ohm load.
They must pair well with the Van Alstine equipment, as it seems you get some great press over there!!
Thanks!

martyo

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2008, 06:00 pm »
They must pair well with the Van Alstine equipment, as it seems you get some great press over there!!

You can see by my gear that I believe that. AVA and Salk share the characteristic that there is a "DNA" to their sound. The musicality runs throughout their lines. Yes, there is more resolution and bass extension as you pay more, or more power and dynamics.....but that "DNA" is evident in all their gear. AVA even has an integrated that I heard at RMAF that sounded real good. Both AVA and Salk are real bargains in my opinion.

You're right that pictures don't do the cabinet work justice, they will look mucho better in person.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2008, 07:51 pm »
If you're the Richard that has the cherry songtower picture links....those pics won me over.  No offense to Jim, but his photos seem "washed out" (I know he doesn't claim to be a master photographer). Most of the pics by customers really show the color and grain of the cabinets much better.

Yep, those photos were mine.  I'm glad to hear that you liked them so much that you ordered some of your own.  You're gonna love their sound better than the photos.

Jim's woodfinishing is MUCH BETTER than his photos.  That cherry veneer is much better than I ever expected.  But name one other speaker maker who emails his customers with photos of their speakers.

As far as power goes, Dennis is right.  I'm not familiar with your Naims, but most amps or receivers today are powerfull enough to drive SongTowers without trouble.  I've heard STs driven by a 75 wpc Denon HT receiver, a 100 wpc Outlaw Stereo receiver, and a 200 wpc B&K external amp.  They all sounded good and allowed the SongTowers to display their excellent dynamic range.

Boybees

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2008, 09:33 pm »
Wiz, here's more to get you excited . . .

I was just home on my lunch break and as no one else was around I decided to crank up the SongTowers. I put on the "Mothership" remix of Zep's "The Song Remains the Same", one of my favorite hard rock songs of all time.

I was really blown away by the sound. The dynamic range was unbelievable - I was playing them VERY loud and no compression at all. The sound stage was huge: Zeppelin filled my whole room with sound. Everything was powerful and pure just as it should be, even the bass guitar (which on other transfers of that song has been weak).

You are going to love these speakers  :drool:

NYSportz

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2008, 09:52 pm »
Definitely keep us posted on how it goes.  I'm looking into a 5.0 (possibly 5.1) set in cherry once the details on the SongSurrounds are released so I'd love to see some pictures and/or impressions!

Justin

wiz

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2008, 10:06 pm »
So you're saying someone can actually build a speaker that sounds as good as it looks?? I thought a speaker had to have horns in funny places, or look like a big felt screen, or have orbs and tetrahedrons suspended on cables in mid-air to actually sound GOOD.
Glad to hear it sounds so good on Zeppelin...that's about as hard as my rock gets, but my speakers have to hang with Zeppelin, and, occasionally, something like White Stripes or Hives, without falling apart.
Thanks again. Can't wait!

wiz

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2008, 02:32 am »
Ping Boybees....
Just wondering how you like the Plinius/Songtower synergy. What kind of sound are you getting? I've heard great things about Plinius and am very interested. I ordered my Naim 5i on a whim, but have always been interested. I haven't received my Naim or Songtowers yet, but I think the Naim will be a LOVE it or HATE it piece. I guess I want to hear what "PRAT" is all about :roll:
Again, I'll be listening to mostly rock/jazz (with a little of everything mixed in). Just love to hear how others pair their equipment.
I'm getting back in the audio world after a fire sale when my son was born. I think the hunt for "the magical sound" may be more fun than the finish line (if there is one) right now. I'm looking forward to learning/experimenting, and alweays searching for the next so-called upgrade. Thanks!

Jay Wisner

Boybees

« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2008, 09:50 pm »
Ping Boybees....
Just wondering how you like the Plinius/Songtower synergy. What kind of sound are you getting?

The synergy is fantastic right now. The bass control is marvelous, and the high end just sings. I think the SongTowers are allowing the Plinius to do all it was meant to do.  :thumb: