Wayne's Mesquite HT2-TL's

jimdgoulding

Re: Wayne's Mesquite HT2-TL's
« Reply #40 on: 19 Nov 2011, 09:23 pm »
Freakin excellent coverage, Wayne!  Thanks and happy trails.

Don_S

« Reply #41 on: 19 Nov 2011, 10:15 pm »
Wayne, 

On step 5 of your finishing process I imagine little pieces of steel wool being a pain to deal with. Is my imagination overactive?

WGH

« Reply #42 on: 19 Nov 2011, 10:20 pm »
Wayne, 

On step 5 of your finishing process I imagine little pieces of steel wool being a pain to deal with. Is my imagination overactive?

Yup.

The steel wool is a pad, don't rub too hard when using - it is just an applicator.

srb

« Reply #43 on: 19 Nov 2011, 10:29 pm »
The steel wool is a pad, don't rub too hard when using - it is just an applicator.

Are you referring to the synthetic "steel wool" pads such as the ones available at Woodworkers Source?  I like to use them as applicators as well as for finishing, as they leave minimal fiber behind.

Steve

WGH

« Reply #44 on: 19 Nov 2011, 11:01 pm »
Never tried the synthetic pads, I use standard generic steel wool. I dunno, never found the fibers a problem but they have to go somewhere, the pads I make keep getting smaller.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #45 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:44 am »
Very nice Wayne....lookin' good....and I'm sure sounding good as well.. 8)

Happy listening !!  :beer:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #46 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:12 am »
Simply gorgeous Wayne. I can't wait for my winter golf trip to Tucson so I can see and listen to these. Congratulations!

Laura

saisunil

« Reply #47 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:16 am »
Amazing ... makes me want to have the same speaker

WGH

« Reply #48 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:11 pm »
Simply gorgeous Wayne. I can't wait for my winter golf trip to Tucson so I can see and listen to these. Congratulations!

Laura

You are welcome to visit anytime Laura, vinyl sounds real nice on the Salks.

Anyone living here or visiting Tucson during our lovely winter is also welcome to stop by, just shoot me an email or PM.

Wayne

won ton on

« Reply #49 on: 20 Nov 2011, 08:30 pm »
they sure do look good. make's my ht2-tl's in pau ferro roswood seem kind of plain.although they sound just as good and i'm glad that i bought them

Indiansprings

« Reply #50 on: 14 Jan 2012, 11:55 pm »
Wow Wayne, that is really a one of a kind set of speakers. You already know how much I like mesquite. Remember the Amp stand I had you build me? I have always thought about a set of speakers like those. PM me your number again and I will be stopping by for an addition next month.

mca

« Reply #51 on: 15 Jan 2012, 05:02 pm »
Me want  :drool:

bummrush

« Reply #52 on: 15 Jan 2012, 07:09 pm »
Very nice

WGH

« Reply #53 on: 15 Jan 2012, 10:32 pm »
I have a little over 300 hours on the Salks and they sound even better. I also made some system changes so bass is still just as deep but tighter and less boomy in my small room. The HT2-TL's actually work very well in a small room.

Here is a photo taken in their native habitat. I was able to catch this one while it was napping. Mesquite with an oil finish slowly turns from a boring tan to a rich deep reddish brown as it ages.

I would be willing to make mesquite veneer and ship it to Salk Sound for anyone who wanted mesquite speakers. Unfortunately there is a lot of labor involved and the raw material costs are very high, the retail delivered price for the veneer plus a solid mesquite front baffle is $3450. The price of the speakers plus finishing would then be added on.

Other system changes that increased the clarity of the sound are listed below.

1.) I build a low powered, fanless music server using a Jetway JNF96FL-525-LF Intel Atom D525 (1.8Hz Dual Core), 4 GB ram, and a OCZ Vertex 60 GB solid state drive. I like it, the computer is 100% noiseless. I'm running Windows 7 and networked to .flac files on my office computer in another room.

2.) The music server is close to the DAC so I can use shorter and higher quality wires.

3.) Feeding the DAC is a KingRex UC192, a much higher quality converter than the HagUSB I had been using.

4.) .flac is a great storage format but I still think .wav files sound better so I use Mike Galusha's excellent FlacWavLoader. The FlacWaveLoader converts .flac files to .wav, stores the .wav files in memory and starts the media player. The media server is now a memory player with none of the streaming problems other media servers have.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100921.0
http://www.mikegalusha.com/

Wayne

Indiansprings

« Reply #54 on: 16 Jan 2012, 01:35 pm »
 :D Stunning

Nuance

« Reply #55 on: 16 Jan 2012, 04:23 pm »
Very nice, Wayne. 8)

carusoracer

« Reply #56 on: 19 Jan 2012, 04:17 am »
Ouch!! Those speakers are simply stunning!  Nice collaboration with Jim!

mark funk

« Reply #57 on: 19 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm »
OOh shit! I like em! :thumb: :thumb:

:smoke: