Wayne's Mesquite HT2-TL's

WGH

Wayne's Mesquite HT2-TL's
« on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:14 am »
I started thinking about getting a pair of Salk HT2-TL speakers after visiting the Salk room at the 2009 RMAF but I wanted something unique. I work with a lot of native Arizona velvet mesquite making custom doors and furniture so of course that was the wood I choose for my speakers. I brought some mesquite veneer samples to the 2010 RMAF to show Jim and ask him if that was something he would be interested in working with and luckily he said yes.

And here are the results:

The speakers sound exquisite, much more refined than the Von Schweikert VR2's they replaced. The RAAL tweeter really is something special, highs are very clear and smooth. The VR2's have plenty of bass but the HT2-TL's have even more deep bass in my room without the mid bass hump the VR2's have. I still have to work on fine tuning their placement, but will let them break in a bit before moving them around. Between the 1-3/4" thick solid wood front baffle, 1-1/8" thick walls, and the home made No Rez I expect these speakers to just get better with age.

Wayne

WGH

Re: Wayne's Mesquite HT2-TL's
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:14 am »
I thought you all would be interested on how these speakers came together so I took some photos.

For the veneer I started with a nice mesquite plank that was 5' long x 10" wide x 5" thick and weighed 105 lbs. I cut the plank into 3/16" thick slices on my bandsaw using a bi-metal blade. The veneer was then dried further for 2 more months in my tin garage during the Tucson summer.

After the veneer has been throughly dried and aged I filled the natural occuring cracks and voids with black tinted West epoxy. The veneer was then sanded to a uniform 1/8" using a Performax drum sander. When veneered to the 1" MDF the cabinet sides are 1-1/8" thick.

The sanded veneer sheets were then trimmed and glued into 4 bookmatched cabinet sides.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:15 am »
After finishing the veneer it was time to work on the solid mesquite full front baffle. Mesquite moves very little with changes in moisture so it is one of the few woods that can be used as a solid front baffle. I started with a pair of bookmatched planks that started out 6-1/2' long x 15" wide x 2" thick. A large crack in one board made it a perfect choice for the front baffle. The hollow knot in the center of each board was the logical location for the RAAL tweeter and the starting point for the layout. The finished front baffle is 1-3/4" thick.

Notice the homemade No Rez in the above photo, this would probably be referred to as gilding the lily. I used 2 layers of self stick vinyl floor tile from Home Depot, 1" open cell foam, and 2 cans of 3M Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive. My first test with the floor tile was hit and miss, some stuck and some pieces fell off the next day, the 3M adhesive worked like a champ and gets stronger with age, it works on the 1" foam too.

Mesquite looks best with a hand rubbed oil/varnish finish, the catalyzed varnish finish I use on mesquite tables looks flat compared to the richness of a oil finish. The problem with an oil finish is that it takes forever to finally reach a stopping point. I was able to save a little money by doing the finish sanding and finishing myself. I am probably Jim's only customer that took a pair of HT2-TL's completely apart just an hour after receiving them.

And finally here is the photo you have all been waiting for:

Wayne

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:21 am »
Wow; those are pretty speakers!!!   Congrats!!!  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:51 am »
Outstanding!  Congratulations on a truly unique pair of great sounding speakers and a job well done.

Steve

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:56 am »
They're looking great, and I'll bet sounding even better with each passing day!

pansixt

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2011, 06:07 am »
OMG.
I always wanted to say that.

What I really wanted to say was Holy Shit, that is the most insanely beautiful finish.

Reminds me of some tongue and groove paneling (only more stunning) I had in my first Jr. Man Cave that my father and I built when I was a beginning shaver.

Please stop uploading pictures of your speakers Salk owners. You're killing me.

I'm trying to make a decision here.

James

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2011, 12:43 pm »
The best pair I've seen!

So Jim sent you unfinished cabinets that you finished?  Hmmm.  :scratch:   I see you doing some more custom Salk work.   :wink:

A true craftsman.   :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2011, 12:55 pm »
Freekin' awesome Wayne!!

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:01 pm »
Awesome!!! - I'm totally amazed by the woodwork

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:08 pm »
Amazing pictures of some amazing looking speakers!  Congrats. :thumb:

Regards,

Randy
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2011, 02:47 pm by rklein »

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:22 pm »
Great Work!!   :thumb:

martyo

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:25 pm »
Very very nice! 8)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:33 pm »
Those of us living in the Southwest know what a beautiful wood mesquite is.  I've got a Dodd preamp done in mesquite, and another project in the works.  I've even trimmed speakers in it, but I can only look on with envy at what Wayne can do with it.   :bowdown:

Scott

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:51 pm »
Best yet!!!

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:18 pm »
They're looking great, and I'll bet sounding even better with each passing day!

Road trip? Bring your DAC.

Wayne

coke

« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:22 pm »
Very nice!!!!

Have you considered mesquite plinths?

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:28 pm »
I did consider mesquite plinths but I like the black too. I figured if I get bored or want a change I can use the black plinths as a template and make up a pair of mesquite plinths.

Wayne

Nuance

« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:00 pm »
Woooooooooooow, Wayne!  Just wow!  Well done sir!  Jeez...that's just beauty at its finest.  Thanks for sharing the progress with us, and welcome to the Salk family.

Pez

« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:10 pm »
Wayne, you should be proud to own Jim's best work ever. These are an example of something that you rarely see in this industry. They are built with pride and a keen eye for beautiful work. They transcend the standard audiophile 'next in line' mentality, in other words, these don't look like speakers that you will sell later just to upgrade to something else. They will likely be passed down and enjoyed through the years!

Big congrats.