Free Solo

stlrman

Free Solo
« on: 15 Mar 2019, 12:38 pm »
My wife , 12 year old daughter and I , all really enjoyed this spectacular documentary !!!!!!!! :thumb:
99% on RT.
I give this a 9 out of 10 stars.
I believe this is coming to Hulu or is on Hulu now. And National Geographic Channel is playing it. Or rent it.

That said, I thought, Won't You be My Neighbor was a MUCH better documentary.

To me, this is one of the greatest athletic achievements in history.

From award-winning documentary filmmaker E. Chai Vasarhelyi ("MERU") and world-renowned photographer and mountaineer Jimmy Chin comes National Geographic Documentary Film's FREE SOLO, a stunning, intimate and unflinching portrait of the free soloist climber Alex Honnold, as he prepares to achieve his lifelong dream: climbing the face of the world's most famous rock... the 3,000ft El Capitan in Yosemite National Park... without a rope. Celebrated as one of the greatest athletic feats of any kind, Honnold's climb set the ultimate standard: perfection or death. Succeeding in this challenge, Honnold enters his story in the annals of human achievement. FREE SOLO is both an edge-of-your seat thriller and an inspiring portrait of an athlete who exceeded our current understanding of human physical and mental potential. The result is a triumph of the human spirit.

nigelnaim

Re: Free Solo
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2019, 12:43 pm »
Thought it was fantastic.  I am hoping that I will have an opportunity to see it in the theater.  My 55 inch TV is not big enough to showcase this film.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2019, 03:37 pm »
I was so inspired that I've decided to give it a try myself.  Wish me luck!

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2019, 06:24 pm »
I was so inspired that I've decided to give it a try myself.  Wish me luck!

Can I take out some life insurance on you?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2019, 07:14 pm »
Saw it last night. It was visually stunning, compelling, and incomprehensible... by far the most extreme and dangerous thing I've seen anyone do.

IMO, one who puts their own life at risk as such is no better than the one who boots opiates up the arm. Both need help, but for different reasons. One takes a life and death risk for the sake of pain relief; the other takes a life and death risk strictly out of compulsion. We pity one and try to help them but the other we admire?

fredgarvin

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2019, 07:18 pm »
I used to do free climbing when I was young and immortal.  Then I read about Icarus.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2019, 04:30 pm »
Director Jimmy Chin is an old college buddy. I was thrilled that they won the Oscar. Both Free Solo and Meru are excellent films. Both really approach the psychology of these efforts really well. Hardly just an extreme sports "rah rah" adrenaline sort of affair.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2020, 10:26 pm »
Free Solo is an excellent documentary along with a character study of Alex Honnold. I finally watched the film this week after reading the article about Emily Harrington, the first woman to free-climb the Golden Gate route and only the 4th woman to free climb El Capitan.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2418625/golden-gate-emily-harrington-el-capitan

Alex Honnold ascended the Freerider line in 3 hours and 56 minutes, Emily Harrington ascended the Golden Gate route in 21 hours 13 minutes. The American Alpine Club, a climbing organization, estimates that only 15 to 25 climbers have free climbed El Capitan in under 24 hours.

Emily Harrington on El Capitan, November 4, 2020

The most difficult climb in the world is Silence in the Hanshelleren Cave in Norway with a proposed rating of 5.15d.

Watch Full Film of Adam Ondra Climbing Silence 5.15d
https://gripped.com/profiles/watch-full-film-of-adam-ondra-climbing-silence-5-15d/

Holygeezer

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2020, 10:37 pm »
Be sure and check out The Dawn Wall on Netflix if you like rock climbing documentaries. Easily as engrossing as Free Solo.