Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!

nature boy

Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!
« on: 3 Jun 2007, 10:14 pm »
I just put a hurtin' on a slab of BBQ pork ribs.  Nothing like grilling and chilling in the great outdoors :D
Life is good.

NB

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2007, 12:09 am »
I just pulled some ribs out of the freezer a couple hours ago.  Unfortunately I'm gonna roast them instead of BBQing em (moved and don't have a grill yet! :oops:).  They'll still be good washed down with a cold brew. :)

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2007, 12:11 am »
you all are making me hungry

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2007, 12:15 am »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2007, 12:41 am »

Looking good there Phil....yummy... :thankyou:

Phil is an excellent cook....he does wonders on the grill.....can't wait for his July Rave...... :banana piano:

« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2007, 12:57 am by lonewolfny42 »

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2007, 02:20 am »
I know what you mean. Here's a picture of my lovely wife cooking up a few slabs of ribs for the quadruple graduation party we had yesterday (my oldest with her Masters, my youngest from High School, my niece from 8th grade, and my oldest friend Georges son from High School).

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2007, 10:47 pm »
OI! Looks tasty!!!
I used to work in a French Brasserie Restaurant (Besides school , to add some hard earned m'ney), We had this Amazing recipe for Ribs! OI!!!
The secret is in the sauce man, that's were it is!

Lets see now...

Orange juice( Fresh,  not too ripe ones...)
Brown sugar
Smoked sauce (Hickory)
Tiger sauce
Smidgen of Safran
Vinegar (a really small smidgen...)
Some good white wine
Salt and peppah!  :D
Fresh Garlic (a really small smidgen...)

Make this into a thick sauce... Takes hours to make over a slow boil...
OI!!!!!!

Cover the rib in this... Then do as usual...

OI! Tender!!!

Imperial

IronLion

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:05 pm »
Speaking of ribs and BBQ in general, I just got a Big Green Egg.  The biggest size I could get due to space limitations on my apt balcony is a mini, but I plan on doing all sorts of stuff on it, pizza, ribs, slow cooks, smoking meat and fish, etc.  Will try to remember to post photos of my first cook this weekend...

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2007, 12:16 am »
yes i agree, except tonight we already had the filets marinated and ready to grill, along with grilling asparagus, and a great mixed toss salad. bon apite.

gooberdude

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun 2007, 03:02 am »
The Big Green Egg is the coolest!!!    My folks bought one in Hawaii back when i was born.  A few years ago it tipped over in a storm and the inner lining cracked - my mom was absolutely thrilled to find out they are still made and replacement parts can be easily purchased.      Almost every year dad smokes a turkey in it, swears by the thing.

I live in Chicago...as meat rich as this City is, folks here are pretty darn clueless about bbq.   makes no sense whatsoever.   :roll:

markC

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jun 2007, 03:15 am »
yes i agree, except tonight we already had the filets marinated and ready to grill, along with grilling asparagus, and a great mixed toss salad. bon apite.

Ahh yes, grilled asparagus. I'm willing to bet not too many are doing this on a regular basis.
I do mine in tinfoil with butter, lime juice, Parmesan a little sea salt and ground pepper. VERY GOOD!

How do you do yours?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jun 2007, 03:39 am »
Is there a more affordable version of the big green egg?  Like...1/3 the price or better?  :oops:

eric the red

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2007, 04:12 am »
Is there a more affordable version of the big green egg?  Like...1/3 the price or better?  :oops:
Yes plus you get ham with it :D

IronLion

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:37 am »

Unfortunately I don't think so.  You can find some variability in pricing online but this is often due to the fact that if you don't buy from a licensed dealer you don't get a lifetime warranty with your egg, which is most definitely worth getting if you get one.  In this case it seems as though, while not cheap, the egg is definitely something worth saving up for as nothing comes close to it.  There are competing ceramic cookers I believe but I don't think any of them are significantly cheaper. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:49 am »
OI! Looks tasty!!!
I used to work in a French Brasserie Restaurant (Besides school , to add some hard earned m'ney), We had this Amazing recipe for Ribs! OI!!!
The secret is in the sauce man, that's were it is!

For me, it's the rub/marinade and the time to cook.  If you do a good rub/marinade, then you can get by without even doing a sauce.  And if you're grilling or smoking them, it's got to be on a low/indirect heat for 4+ hours (I usually smoke mine for 6+ hours).  If you want to use a sauce, add it to the ribs in the last hour...

PhilNYC

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:50 am »
I live in Chicago...as meat rich as this City is, folks here are pretty darn clueless about bbq.   makes no sense whatsoever.   :roll:

It's too cold.... :(

Philistine

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jun 2007, 12:28 pm »
OK Phil - do you have a rub recipe you want to share with a poor Brit whose discovered Texas BBQ, or do you have to kill me first?  All the commercial rubs I've tried haven't hit the spot yet.

PhilNYC

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jun 2007, 12:35 pm »
OK Phil - do you have a rub recipe you want to share with a poor Brit whose discovered Texas BBQ, or do you have to kill me first?  All the commercial rubs I've tried haven't hit the spot yet.

I use a pretty basic wet rub, consisting of varying amounts of soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, red pepper, black pepper, and onion powder.  I'm pretty heavy-handed with the brown sugar and red pepper...when mixing the rub, brown sugar makes up about half of it, with the remainder adjusted depending on who I'm cooking for (eg. more red pepper for folks who like some kick, or more black pepper and garlic for those who don't).  I apply the rub pretty heavily the night before cooking, so it's soaked for at least 6-7 hours...

(btw, I recently learned that this is pretty similar to St. Louis-styled BBQ rubs...so if you want to find a matching commercial bbq sauce, try ones with origins in St. Louis)

Oh, and if you're smoking them, my suggestion is not to go too crazy with the wood.  I used to smoke the ribs startin right at the begining of the 6 hour cook-time, but now only do it for the last 2-3 hours with a limited amount of wood...

BobM

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jun 2007, 12:35 pm »
For me, it's the rub/marinade and the time to cook. 

Yes, that's the secret in our house too. The sauce goes on right at the end. We do take a shortcut though by baking the rubbed ribs in the oven before transferring them to the grill for a saucing and a little flame. This cuts down on the grilling time significantly and the occasional "ooops, something's burning" when you walk away to do something else. I know, I know ... it's cheating.

Enjoy,
Bob

ctviggen

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jun 2007, 12:50 pm »
One of the best rib recipes I've tried is cooked indoors in an oven.  You use smoked tea to smoke the ribs.  It's truly fantastic.  Another good recipe (indoor, though I'm sure you could also grill these) is by Alton Brown:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_11125,00.html