New (used) maxhemps

Canyoneagle

New (used) maxhemps
« on: 9 Apr 2008, 04:40 pm »
I just bought jman66's maxhemp's   :drool:  and they are on their way!!!!  I'll post findings and experiences here to add to the variety of feedback.
I should also be receiving my newly acquired Sig 30 after Vinnie gives it the 30.2 tweaks (the basic upgrade), so needless to say, I'm one excited camper.

I don't know if it's appropriate to mention it here (please tell me if it is and I'll remove the comment), but my compact hemptones are now listed at A'gon.

The max's are due to arrive on April 16th - until then, I'll continue to enjoy my present setup................

More to come   aa,
Michael

tanchiro58

Re: New (used) maxhemps
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2008, 06:12 pm »
Hi Michael,

My friend has introduced me his Omega Superhemps speakers and he told me they are matched very well with low watt tube amps and few of battery powered amp like the RWA Clari-T amp. I just want to ask you how low (in Hz) does the bottom end of your Hempcones speakers can go and also compared to Maxhemps if you already got a chance to listen to them. Thanks.

Best regards,
Tan

Canyoneagle

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2008, 10:53 pm »
I don't have the Max's yet, but I can tell you that my 6W battery-powered tripath elicits some surprising bass from the Hemptones.  Louis's site quotes the 'in-room' response at 50hz on the compact hemps (I assume the compact hemptones would be a similar spec), but that is probably the +/- 3 hz rating.  My experience is that I can hear bass into the low 40's at a satisfying level.  It won't shake your shirt like a truly flat-response speaker, mind you, but (I feel) this is not the purpose of full-range single drivers.

I look forward to seeing what the differences are with the max hemps, and will report my experiences here.

Warmly,
Michael
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2008, 02:56 pm by Canyoneagle »

Canyoneagle

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2008, 05:56 pm »
While I'm awaiting the arrival of my max's (due to arrive on the 16th), I'd like to ask about the mass loading for the bases.  The previous owner had 'em lined with plastic bags and filled with sand.  I'm considering this, perhaps with lead shot as well.

Any tips on this?  Where to buy the sand and shot?

I'd like to have everything on hand so I can immediately get the speakers into service  :D

Lous - what are the dimensions of the bases so I can estimate quantities, or do you have any guidelines?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Michael

tanchiro58

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2008, 06:58 pm »
While I'm awaiting the arrival of my max's (due to arrive on the 16th), I'd like to ask about the mass loading for the bases.  The previous owner had 'em lined with plastic bags and filled with sand.  I'm considering this, perhaps with lead shot as well.

I'd like to have everything on hand so I can immediately get the speakers into service  :D

Lous - what are the dimensions of the bases so I can estimate quantities, or do you have any guidelines?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Michael

I just got the stands of Sonus Faber monitors from my friend and they are filled with lead shots (weight around 100lbs each). My VR1 monitors sound extremely nice with firm deep bass (very good for the monitors) and a very nice midrange.

jman66

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2008, 07:11 pm »

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Michael

Like I mentioned Mike (and in my experience), make sure they're filled so the hole doesn't have the opportunity to act as a Helmholtz resonator or bass trap.   :)
Hopefully Louis will chime in on this...

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2008, 12:59 pm »
I just bought jman66's maxhemp's   :drool:  and they are on their way!!!!  I'll post findings and experiences here to add to the variety of feedback.
I should also be receiving my newly acquired Sig 30 after Vinnie gives it the 30.2 tweaks (the basic upgrade), so needless to say, I'm one excited camper.

I don't know if it's appropriate to mention it here (please tell me if it is and I'll remove the comment), but my compact hemptones are now listed at A'gon.

The max's are due to arrive on April 16th - until then, I'll continue to enjoy my present setup................

More to come   aa,
Michael
Years ago I used buckshot backfilled by playsand in Target stands. Got buckshot at a gun store and sand from Home Depot (make sure the sand is dry!).

This round I'm using Skyland stands for Omega Hemps. Skyland recommended sand only, but also recommended I go to a building supply store and purchase the stuff used by sandblasting machines. More uniform size and a few other advantages I do not call (maybe less dust?). It came in several sizes, do not recall what size was recommended, but would think that something toward the smaller size might compact better.

In your case I would think that a combo of lead shot and sandblast sand might do very well for adding significant mass in a small enclosure.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:36 pm »
Thanks!
I've been checking around with co-workers (who hunt) about the best source for shot.  I'll swing by a couple of building supply places today to look at sand....

Since this thread is general in nature, I'd also love to hear any tips on positioning, etc for the max's.  I've heard that they can be pretty finicky.

My present listening space is about 13-14 feet wide and open in the rear and on one side (there is a side wall that is about 8 feet long from the front wall before opening up).  the ceiling starts at 8' at the front wall (where the speakers are placed) and vaults to about 16' at the mid-point of the open space (about 15 feet from the front wall).  From this high point there is a wall that extends down to an 8' ceiling for the open space behind the listening area.  Kinda hard to describe........

"X" = SPEAKER

<----  low ceiling (8')  --->          16'  <---- vaulted ----> 8'
                                  +=========================+----------------------------+
                                  [                                              .                                         ]
                                  [                                              .                                    X   ]
                                  [                                              . <-- wall (above 8' only)        ]
                                  [                                              .                                         ]       ^
                                  [                                              .                                         ]
                                  [         OPEN to listening area  --->.       LISTENING AREA            ]  13' - 14'
                                  [                                              .                                         ]       v
                                  [                                              .                                    X   ]
                                  [                                              .        OPEN                          ]
                                  +============      ==========+           V              ---------+
                                  [                                                                                        ]   

/\    <------- 15-16'  ---->     /\
cheers,
Michael
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2008, 03:00 pm by Canyoneagle »

Hifidelityaudio

• Power to spare
    • Hifidelityaudio
« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2008, 09:46 pm »
speaking of sand I went to Home depot today for my Max bases and the sand used for kids  sand boxes is excellent ,it is
fine grained cleaned ,filtered and dried, go to the building section,not outside  .I bought a 50lb bag for under $3.00 .I am not sure if the bases come with spikes,that would be the way to go , also something of interest, The Herbies loudspeaker footers the Big ones are the way to go and for sure  create a coupling from the speaker to the base for better focus of everything .I used these before and bettered many more expensive items.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2008, 02:53 am »
Okay, I have pics coming, but the short answer is:

You will need 150 lbs (3 bags) of "play sand" to properly fill the bases.

I just finished, and it was a (well worth the time) 3-hour endeavor to fill the bases without any voids.  These babies are DEAD.

More soon!
Warmly,
Michael

Canyoneagle

Re: New (used) maxhemps - Filling bases
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2008, 04:02 am »
Okay, here's the skinny:
I bought 150 lbs (3 bags) of sand (washed "play sand") at the local hardware store to fill my bases, and proceeded to fill 'em up.

As I did so, I methodically "tossed" the sand with my hand from the center into the extremities, working in a circular pattern.  As I did this, the sand would create a natural depression in the center, and it would be higher around the perimeter.  I would add more sand and repeat until the sand was filling the center hole.

Despite my efforts to eliminate voids, I could still hear a noticeable difference between the sides and the top when I tapped for resonance.  The top had a very obvious hollow resonance (even with the sand completely filling the hole), and I knew that in order to have a completely 'neutral' base, I would have to eliminate the voids.

So, I borrowed a technique used in the construction industry to compact sand and concrete:

I used a rod (in this case, the long arm of a woodworking clamp) to "ram" the sand into all edges (again, working in a circle).  As I did this, I would need to fill the sand from time to time, and I would continue the compaction.
When it was apparent that the sand was very compacted, I took a round mallet and "hammered" the sand, in all directions (downwards and at 45 degree angle all the way around the hole).  This allowed the sand to further compact, and I found that the resonance would re-appear on the top of the cabinet.
So, I would alternate the hammer compaction, fill with sand, 'ram' the sand, then hammer again.

Eventually, the sand seemed to be at full compaction, and the top was D-E-A-D to any knocking or tapping, as if the cabinet was filled with concrete (hey------ there's an idea!).  By the time everything was done, I had about a half-pound of sand left.  So, each base used 75 pounds of sand.  YMMV depending on courseness.  This stuff was pretty fine, which (I feel) really helped with the compaction.

At that point, I put enough sand to yield a slight 'dome' shape from the edges of the hole to the center, to ensure any further compaction would be accomodated by the sand.

My next step will be to seal the holes with black duct tape before mounting the speakers (tomorrow - woohoo).

Pics are posted here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1414

anyway, I'm looking forward to getting them set up on Wednesday.........

Positioning tips?
My initial plan is to set them up where my compact hemps are located, then go from there.  the compacts are about 3' from the side walls (center of driver) and about 20" from the back wall (rear of cabinet at center).  The compacts are angled in to cross slightly behind the listening area.

Finally, the Max 'spikes' are more conical than needle-like.  My listening area has carpet, and additionally has a heavy tribal carpet with pretty thick pile.  There is no way the spikes will penetrate through both layers.  I'm assuming the sheer weight  of the speakers/bases (the bases alone are 80 lbs each) will 'settle' the spikes deep enough to be solid?

Warmly,
Michael
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2008, 03:03 pm by Canyoneagle »

Canyoneagle

« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2008, 10:28 pm »
The max's are hooked up and 'loosening up' with some Mickey Hart.  I like what I hear so far......., and this is off of my little DIY tripath.  The sig 30/30.2 should be on its way..........    :thumb:

Current positioning of the bases:  inside rear corners: 23" from rear wall.  outside rear corners: 27" from rear wall and 24" from side walls.

Initial impressions:
- fuller sounding than the hemptones, with smoother mids and treble.
- silky smooth midrange.  Daaaaamn!  Very sweet sounding speakers.
- I'd characterize them as 'warmer' than the hemptones.
- Imaging is amazing.  I thought the hemptones were REALLY good in this regard, but the max's DEFINITELY step up the imaging and the soundstage significantly.
- Bass response is nice, but CLEARLY affected by room and placement.  Definitely some tweaking to do on placement.

More soon, time to listen.

EDIT - April 17 -------- :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I LIKE.

I messed around with positioning a little bit while listening last night - mainly shifting the speakers around on the bases, rather tan moving everything.  So, in that +/- 2-3 inch envelope, I noticed that the sound changed noticeably with each re-positioning.
- I 'opened' the speakers up so they were angled less towards the sweet spot and more straight ahead (still with a little angle).  The soundstage really opened up when I did this, and the mid and treble seemed to get even silkier.  I really liked it.  The bass seemed to dry up a little bit, si I will try to experiment with proximity to the rear wall.  Right now the speakers are sitting a couple of feet off the rear wall, so moving them a little closer should help bolster the bass, yes?  No?  Help?

My wife walked in the room and commented "WOW! it sounds live!", and generally gave her enthusiastic approval of the max's.  As anyone here (who is married) knows, this is a key milestone with new gear.   :D

I look forward to hearing the comments from others.

The siggie should be on its way, and I hope to get it on Friday  :singing:  Can you say 'weekend listening marathon?'  I thought you could.

================================================
Update April 17
More listening and positioning.  I moved the bases a bit closer to the walls (18" at midpoint from the back wall) and opened the angle a bit so they are facing almost straight into the room (slight angle) - perhaps 1.5" difference off the rear wall.
The bass dipped somewhat when I did this, so I'll be moving them back out to about 2' from the rear wall.  I'l stay with 2' off the sides too.  They are currently about 7' apart.

I LOVE how these sound.  The mids are soooooooooo silky, and the bass is impressive and has great tone and 'depth'/richness.
Guitar and vocals are sublime.

The 30.2 should arrive Friday.  More to come.
------------------------------------------------
Edit April 18
The siggie has been delivered.  Talk about hard to stay focused at work!!!!!!!!!!!
Only 3 more hours..........
--------------------------------------------------
Edit April 19
 aa :drool: :thumb: aa :drool: :thumb: aa :drool: :thumb:

That siggie is a spectacular combo with the Max Hemps.  I sat in absolute astonishment as I listened to a massive assortment of music, ranging from breathy acoustic solos to Tool, and everything in between.
The extra headroom that the amp provides (compared to the 6w Clari-T knockoff it replaces) REALLY makes a difference.  Dynamics, subtleties, everything is better with this amp, through these speakers.

WOW.

Now I see why so many people like the RWA/Omega combo.

The Omegaudio cables should be on their way soon, and the system will be done.   :beer: :hyper:

Michael
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2008, 04:49 pm by Canyoneagle »

Canyoneagle

PICS
« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2008, 12:30 am »
I'm TOTALLY enjoying the system.  Here's a link to some new gallery pics.....
BTW, please excuse my use of a conventional (i.e IKEA) stand for the gear. I'm thinking of going the 'isolation' route (marble/granite on isolating feet) versus a new stand - I've owned several high-end stands and feel that the isolation route works for me.  Please advise on this!!!!!!!!  I'm open.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1425

Warmly,
Michael

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2008, 01:00 am »
Interesting with the sand-filled stands... I made some Maple ones for my Omega XRS. I haven't compared them to a "dead" stand like yours though...

Canyoneagle

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2008, 01:22 am »
THOSE ARE GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can only imagine that those are DEAD to any reaonance too!
Nice work!
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2008, 01:56 am by Canyoneagle »

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2008, 02:22 am »
They look good in your room, much better than the compacts did, IMO.  They look at home and glad to hear you're enjoying them so.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2008, 02:46 am »
I've been enjoying the Max's, for sure, especially with the 30.2!!!!!

If memory serves, you also have Max's???

The compacts were GORGEOUS, though, both in sound and in in looks.  the Teak was beautiful.

I'm planning to hook the compacts up this weekend to see how they sound with the 30.2, though I have a few people interested in them, so I may have them on their way to a new (happy) owner soon.

Warmly,
Michael
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2008, 03:06 am by Canyoneagle »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2008, 03:02 am »

Since the thread branched off to a discussion of stands I thought I'd show my simple stands. I built these out of MDF and each is filled with ~50lbs. of sand in baggies so that I can move them without a hand truck. There may be some air spaces inside because it was hard to pack the baggies tightly. The front side of the stands were made flush with the baffle so that the "beard" effect would add to the bass output. The speakers are the older version of the Omega Bipoles which I upgraded to the new hemp drivers and I currently run them in the dipole configuration.

-Roy

Canyoneagle

« Reply #18 on: 25 Apr 2008, 03:10 am »
Nice, rajacat!
Dude, you changed your avatar!

Even with bags, I'd imagine that you could pack 'em nicely with a rod of some sort.

Enjoy!!!!
Michael

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2008, 03:20 am »
Thanks,

I toyed with the idea of just filling in the gaps with loose sand. Is that a little too fanatical?  :scratch:  :lol: I could still remove most of the baggies if I wanted to move them.

-Roy