JBL 305 Mk2

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
JBL 305 Mk2
« on: 31 Aug 2018, 10:28 am »
This is the new and improved version of the over achieving original.  The original (2-way compact active monitor) did nothing wrong, F3 = 41 Hz, $300/pair MSRP but at the end of production could be easily found for far less.  I had a pair here for a week and while they were quite competent, just didn't ring my bell (versus $3000/pair speakers).

Had the new ones here for a recent afternoon and these are more detailed, tighter bass, and most importantly very enjoyable.  Compared them to my newly acquired JBL 708Ps ($4,000/pair MSRP) and only upon going back to the 708Ps did I not have buyer's remorse.  Very highly recommended for the price, size, and features. 

Their only hurdle for Cheap and Cheerful consideration is their XLR input, but this can be easily addressed with a RCA/XLR adaptor, or finding the appropriate source (like the equally C&C SMSL SU-8 DAC/preamp/remote, $250 MSRP, that has XLR outputs). 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: JBL 305 Mk2
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2018, 10:31 am »
Excellent. Thanks for the review!

Best,
Anand.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2018, 11:54 am »
Thanks for the review. What size were you listening to, 5”, 6.5” or 8”? Also I don’t quite understand your 708p comment and almost having buyer’s remorse (?).

Also, have you heard the Lsr310 sub?

KP

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2018, 04:18 pm »
Thanks for the review. What size were you listening to, 5”, 6.5” or 8”? Also I don’t quite understand your 708p comment and almost having buyer’s remorse (?).

KP

KP,

JBL in the 3 series of speakers (and 7 series) uses the last numerical digit to denote the size of the woofer. In other words JBL LSR 305 means it has 5 inch midwoofer.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series-mkii/305p-mkii#.W4lpLqQpCEc

Best,
Anand

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2018, 05:14 pm »
Thanks Anand. Got it. Duh!

Best,
KP

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2018, 11:44 am »

KP

Thanks for the catch Anand.   :thumb:

Have not heard the LSR310 sub, have been meaning to call JBL to find out what sub they would use with a 7 series speaker as the 310 seems to be targeted for the 3 series.  Not that I'm looking to spend more and in fact debating if I even need a sub with the 708Ps.

Buyer's remorse came after initial listen to the 305 Mk2 (they sounded so good) but switching back I realized that advantages of the 708P (more detail, more bass, more room filling/life sized sound).   An interesting study in diminishing returns (same manufacturer, technology).  Note that some of the reviews of the original 305 stated a preference over the 308, but those may have been done near-field. 

RoadTripper

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2018, 12:48 pm »
My Samsung smart TV has an optical (audio) output meant to be connected to a soundbar. Is there such as thing as an adaptor that will allow an optical out to be connnected to XLR (for this speaker).

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2018, 12:55 pm »
Umm, no.

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2018, 12:58 pm »
My Samsung smart TV has an optical (audio) output meant to be connected to a soundbar. Is there such as thing as an adaptor that will allow an optical out to be connnected to XLR (for this speaker).

Does it have RCA outputs? With my Amazon firestick, I use the Nobsound $56 passive in between my plasma tv and my stereo system.

RoadTripper

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:17 pm »
No RCA.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2018, 07:06 pm »
Idk if you'd call it an adapter, but any balanced DAC with optical input should work for this. Maybe try the SMSL SU-8? It has a remote with volume control (making it ideal for TV audio use), seems to be well reviewed from what I've seen, and is $250. Probably the best you can do in terms of what you get for your money with a balanced DAC.

But obviously, as a system, not as cheap as some other possible solutions.

RoadTripper

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2018, 02:21 am »
I came to a similar conclusion myself. Thanks.

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2018, 10:00 am »
IMO a JBL 305 Mk2 and SMSL SU-8 is at the current limit of being 'cheerful' for the 'cheap' (price).  Just throw in a $20/month Tidal subscription and your controller (smartphone or laptop).  It's a great time to be at the 'shallow end' of the pool. 

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2018, 01:05 am »
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2018, 01:27 am by charmerci »

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2018, 01:28 am »
OK - so I broke down and got a pair of these B-stock (limited budget and all that) to see what these are all about. Videos about hooking these up don't show that you need something like these to hook them up so I had to wait after I got the speakers* - plus I had to pull them apart to hook them up. I've compared them running through my system via the pre-amp out to the JBL's.

*Hence my previous empty post.

This is just a preliminary review as I don't have them really set up properly and have only listened to them for a few songs. Compared to my Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors (4x the cost) the 305's higher high frequencies are a bit tipped up/ more prominent. Whether this is tolerable to me is yet to be determined. Soundstage is not as deep or wide, I still much prefer New Phil's female voices and the bass of the JBL's seem to go more low and are more prominent though somewhat more boomy, i.e. not as tight.

I'll take some time in the next few days just to listen to them, not comparing, to see how they are overall.

Doublej

« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2018, 01:46 am »
OK - so I broke down and got a pair of these B-stock (limited budget and all that) to see what these are all about. Videos about hooking these up don't show that you need something like these to hook them up so I had to wait after I got the speakers* - plus I had to pull them apart to hook them up. I've compared them running through my system via the pre-amp out to the JBL's.

*Hence my previous empty post.

This is just a preliminary review as I don't have them really set up properly and have only listened to them for a few songs. Compared to my Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors (4x the cost) the 305's higher high frequencies are a bit tipped up/ more prominent. Whether this is tolerable to me is yet to be determined. Soundstage is not as deep or wide, I still much prefer New Phil's female voices and the bass of the JBL's seem to go more low and are more prominent though somewhat more boomy, i.e. not as tight.

I'll take some time in the next few days just to listen to them, not comparing, to see how they are overall.

I think you are understating the price differential between the two. The JBLs are $300ish/pair delivered powered whereas the Philharmonics are $1450 plus amplification, no?

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2018, 04:20 am »
I think you are understating the price differential between the two. The JBLs are $300ish/pair delivered powered whereas the Philharmonics are $1450 plus amplification, no?

Almost $1150 plus amp. They're not the BMR's.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2018, 12:28 pm »
Thanks for the report charmerci, did you get the originals or the Mark II?

charmerci

« Reply #18 on: 20 Sep 2018, 12:56 am »
Thanks for the report charmerci, did you get the originals or the Mark II?

MkII.

(I do know about the other non-MkII thread so I would have posted there otherwise.)

charmerci

Re: Improving the JBL 305 Mk2?
« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2018, 04:43 pm »
OK - so listening more to these, the woolier bass (less snap, e.g. upright bass notes sounding more like "wob" than "dop") is the one thing about these that kind of bothers me compared to my Philharmonitor ScanSpeak woofer.

So my question is - would taking them apart and adding a few quarter inch dowels to brace the sides improve this? (The cabinets of these things are kind of thin and plastic-y.)

Should I post this in Enclosures instead?