cheap 12v linear power supply

kebhuh

Re: cheap 12v linear power supply
« Reply #20 on: 28 Apr 2014, 04:09 pm »
Yes, but finished amp has a basic iec. So is cutting a standard power cord at other end the best solution?

Brad

« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2014, 04:21 pm »
If the finished amp has a basic IEC, then it already has a power supply built into it.

kebhuh

« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2014, 04:30 pm »
Not according to the seller. (I do not have the amp yet.)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2014, 11:54 pm »
I know you guys are all set on this but you might find this post interesting.

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:18 am »
I know you guys are all set on this but you might find this post interesting.

Astron may be cheap in price but not in quality. Pick one up in your hands sometime JT, you will be surprised by the weight. The one above that I posted a pic of weighs 18 pounds.

All Astron power supplies are made in the USA, not China. If Astron had audiophile tags on them, the company would probably be charging at least $500. And since these will beat a battery even at my house, they probably are worth $500.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:24 am »
Astron may be cheap in price but not in quality. Pick one up in your hands sometime JT, you will be surprised by the weight. The one above that I posted a pic of weighs 18 pounds.

All Astron power supplies are made in the USA, not China. If Astron had audiophile tags on them, the company would probably be charging at least $500. And since these will beat a battery even at my house, they probably are worth $500.
I'm very famiiar with them.  Hey, as long as you're happy that's all that matters.   :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:38 am »
I'm very famiiar with them.  Hey, as long as you're happy that's all that matters.   :D

For these prices, you cannot beat them. :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #27 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:49 am »
Here is the $500 King Rex power supply that a Ten Tec easily beat.

rodge827

« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:58 am »
I just placed my order for an 11A switched to 9v.:D

Scoundrel!  :x
Your getting mine!  :nono:

:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

wushuliu

« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2014, 01:58 am »

They are also not to be confused with Astron's newer switching supplies. I also do not think they are 'bench' supplies as is referred to in JT's link. I am pretty sure that link is referring to Mastech supplies and similar, which are not the same thing. The Astrons are made for the ham radio market. I'm no ham radio expert but it seems like high quality power is a must for that hobby. And they are certainly not 'inexpensive' when purchased new, so I'm not sure what the link has to do with the Ten Tec/Astron discussion.

And unless I'm mistaken the BHL PS is just a LD1085 that caps out well below 3A? 

OzarkTom

« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2014, 03:26 am »
They are also not to be confused with Astron's newer switching supplies.

And unless I'm mistaken the BHL PS is just a LD1085 that caps out well below 3A?

That BHL PS does look to be 3A, maybe JT can verify.

I would stay away from the switching power supplies. Here is the list for the regulated linear supplies.
http://www.astroncorp.com/showpage.asp?p=2

And here is the list for the switching supplies. It looks like these models starts with s.
http://www.astroncorp.com/showpage.asp?p=4

rodge827

« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm »
Gents,

I had a conversation with a guy who repairs Ten Tec and Aston power supplies. He mentioned that the 7A and higher units are the ones to go with. Less than 7A and the internal build quality doesn't do quite as good a job. So purchase 7A or higher and you'll get the best these power supplies have to offer.

Chris

roscoeiii

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm »
I also see that there is an Aston 11A and an 11R. But can't figure out the difference between them. Anyone know?

OzarkTom

« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2014, 01:07 pm »
I also see that there is an Aston 11A and an 11R. But can't figure out the difference between them. Anyone know?

Larry at Comart (800-777-2708) is a great guy to talk to, he would let you know.

flavo

« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2014, 10:55 pm »
I just placed my order for an 11A switched to 9v.:D

Why are some of you getting custom PS's made and switched to 9V's and where are you ordering them from?

What would be the recommended Ps for powering 2 of the 3116's at once, assuming one of these can be used?

Thanks so much.

rodge827

« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2014, 11:01 pm »

I'm actually using the 11R, not sure if there is a difference between them, the schematic that came with it has 11A on it.

Why are some of you getting custom PS's made and switched to 9V's and where are you ordering them from?

What would be the recommended Ps for powering 2 of the 3116's at once, assuming one of these can be used?

Thanks so much.

We are ordering the 11A modded to 9vdc for use with an iFi iTube.
Which is an awesome little piece of gear in it's own right.

shadowlight

« Reply #36 on: 29 Apr 2014, 11:46 pm »
Larry at Comart (800-777-2708) is a great guy to talk to, he would let you know.

Tom,

Is there a website that I can go through?

OzarkTom

« Reply #37 on: 30 Apr 2014, 12:19 am »

OzarkTom

« Reply #38 on: 30 Apr 2014, 12:23 am »

We are ordering the 11A modded to 9vdc for use with an iFi iTube.
Which is an awesome little piece of gear in it's own right.

If this improves the Itube, look out. I should be getting yours :D by Thursday or Friday.

rodge827

« Reply #39 on: 30 Apr 2014, 12:46 am »
If this improves the Itube, look out. I should be getting yours :D by Thursday or Friday.

:duh:

Ordered mine today hope to have it by Friday.  :)