Something Like a DacMini...but with tubes

ajzepp

Something Like a DacMini...but with tubes
« on: 3 Dec 2011, 05:25 am »
I'm trying to find EXACTLY what I need for a bedroom system, but I keep coming up a little short. I really want to avoid having to buy a bunch of components for the bedroom. What I'm looking for is something like the new DacMini that has the DAC, the headphone amp, and the speaker amp, all in one. Another similar product would be the Peachtree Nova, and I haven't ruled that out.

Basically, I want to get more into headphones, so I need the piece to have a great headphone amp section, preferably a tubed one. I need an internal DAC so that I can run an AppleTV into it for streaming iTunes files. And since I have a pair of Decware Minis on order, I need a speaker amp.

The DacMini is just about perfect aside from the lack of tube-age and the price tag. I'd really like to keep it under a grand, which is why I'm coming to you guys.

Thanks!

PS: I know there are a lot of really solid pieces manufactured in Asia, and I'm not completely opposed to buying such a piece, but American or German made is a plus  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2011, 06:28 am by ajzepp »

WC

Re: Something Like a DacMini...but with tubes
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2011, 12:10 pm »
The Grant Fidelity Tube DAC 11 sounds kind of like what you are looking for.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2011, 02:48 pm »
The Grant Fidelity Tube DAC 11 sounds kind of like what you are looking for.

Of course the Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-11 does not have a built-in speaker amplifier like the CEntrance DACmini PX or the Peachtree Nova/Decco2 and the front panel headphone output does not utilize the tube buffer.

The Decco2 would likely have more than enough power (40W/ch) to drive the Decware Minis and is in the price range, but obviously the DAC is a notch down from the Nova's DAC.  This is a tough one to find all in one box, particularly if the headphone output is to have a tube in the path.

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2011, 03:45 pm »
WC: Funny you mention that piece...I actually first heard of it yesterday, and I was very impressed with the website and reviews. As Steve said, if it had the amp section, it would be exactly what I'm looking for. Chances are I will end up buying two pieces since it's hard to find it all in one box, but I will keep looking for another month or two since the Decwares take about 8 weeks to build.

Steve: I was actually wondering what the difference was between the Nova and the Decco2...I knew the amp wasn't quite as potent but didn't know about the DAC...thanks for that.

It may end up that the Peachtree is what I pull the trigger on, I just softened on it a bit when I found out that it's not a true tube stage. But David Solomon of Peachtree has been a great guy to correspond with, and (I may have mentioned this before, not sure) I found out that a friend of mine is the local dealer in ATL. Right now it's probably about a 75% chance I go with either the Decco2 or the Nova.

Those Maverick Audio separates are pretty neat...and also, Grant Fidelity has a "mini-receiver" that is really cool. I would just need to add a DAC to that, but I bet that would make a really nice hub for a bedroom system.

There sure are a lot of cool products out there in the audio world!  :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2011, 06:13 pm »
You could get both of these for $400

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2011, 06:17 pm »
I know your thinking Decco or Nova but I just wanted to say the Grant stuff is excellent. I have Tube DAC-09 and love all the options in fact I may get the Grant Sabre based DAC and just keep using my DAC-09 as a pre-amp/tube buffer etc....While the headphone output is SS and not tube based which bummed me out I have used the headphone section often and its fine, not a world beater but why would it be. Also Grant has excellent customer service, Big Thumbs Up :thumb:
The Maverick D1, A1 combo is something to consider looking at also....

srb

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2011, 07:45 pm »
I would think that in a bedroom scenario, remote control volume and input might be even more of a feature consideration.  At least it was for me, but my equipment is not located next to the bed.  If you're planning on headphone use, perhaps the unit(s) will be right at arms reach on a nightstand?

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2011, 08:36 pm »
I know your thinking Decco or Nova but I just wanted to say the Grant stuff is excellent. I have Tube DAC-09 and love all the options in fact I may get the Grant Sabre based DAC and just keep using my DAC-09 as a pre-amp/tube buffer etc....While the headphone output is SS and not tube based which bummed me out I have used the headphone section often and its fine, not a world beater but why would it be. Also Grant has excellent customer service, Big Thumbs Up :thumb:
The Maverick D1, A1 combo is something to consider looking at also....

That's why that Grant Fidelity "mini receiver" caught my eye...IIRC, the headphone amp on it DOES have a tube stage, so instead of getting their DAC and adding an amp, I could get their mini receiver and add a DAC lol. I don't know if their mini receiver is new, but I've gone through a fair bit of the archives in this forum and haven't seen anyone talking about it. It looks like a great piece, though!

Corndog: The Maverick combo does appeal to me, especially the hybrid amp with the tube headphone output...and the styling is very nice, as well. Definitely high on my list  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2011, 08:39 pm »
I would think that in a bedroom scenario, remote control volume and input might be even more of a feature consideration.  At least it was for me, but my equipment is not located next to the bed.  If you're planning on headphone use, perhaps the unit(s) will be right at arms reach on a nightstand?

Steve

You know, that's a great point and I hadn't even really considered that. RIght now I don't have my McCormack MAP preamp (I use this for HT) in use, and so I don't have a remote to control the sound and I HATE it lol. I'm not sure how I would arrange the room yet, so you're right, I do need to take that into consideration. I don't remember if that mini receiver I'm looking at has a remote or not...but thanks, I will keep this point in mind along the way.

EDIT: I just looked, and I don't think the Grant Fidelity piece has a remote...not a deal breaker, but will have to think about the room. Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://shop.grantfidelity.com/All-in-one-Mini-Receiver-w-Headphone-Amp.html

ChadHahn

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2011, 06:48 am »

Apparently you can put a RCA male to 1/4" stereo female Y on the tube output of the DAC-09 and plug your headphones into it.  It wasn't planned on the DAC-09 but when Grant Fidelity found out that people where doing it they incorporated it into the 11.

Chad

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 4 Dec 2011, 08:10 am »
Interesting...are there any compromises to doing that, or is that a legit way to hook up the headphones? In other words, would this be acceptable to those who are in the headphone hi-fi crowd? lol

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2011, 10:48 am »
I wonder if the Maverick hybrid amp would be a nice match with the Grant DAC-11? Or maybe the Grant DAC with something like this? http://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=48&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71&lang=en

The Maverick and the Grant Fid piece are both 10" wide with a brushed black face plate, so they might look nice stacked on top of each other :D

ChadHahn

« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2011, 11:28 am »
Interesting...are there any compromises to doing that, or is that a legit way to hook up the headphones? In other words, would this be acceptable to those who are in the headphone hi-fi crowd? lol

You can't do that with everything, it's a good way to ruin your headphones.  But according to Grant Fidelity's forum it was something that people found out you could do with the TubeDac-09 and all the other versions of it, like the Maverick and the Xaing Sheng DAC-01.  When Grant found out about it they decided to incorporate it into their new DAC. 

I don't know why they just didn't make a tube headphone out on the front.  I have the  Xaing Sheng DAC-01 and I like it as a DAC but the headphone out sounds pretty bad.  I haven't gotten around to using the tube RCA outs as a headphone jack.  I'd have to switch the internal jumpers from DAC to amp which isn't a big deal but I'd also have to switch the RCAs everytime I wanted to use it as a headphone amp.

Chad

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2011, 01:15 pm »
Thanks, Chad...I'm definitely interested in the Grant Fidelity piece even more given that fact  :thumb:

EDIT: Found a couple of other contenders....the Wadia 151DacMini looks like a real nice product, but it lacks a  headphone amp unfortunately. On the other hand, there is a Wyred4Sound piece called the mINT that they'll be shipping soon....it's the same price as the Centrance DacMini, but it has a remote, a more powerful amp section, and it's designed and manufactured in the USA...looks good!! http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/612512
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2011, 02:16 pm by ajzepp »

ChadHahn

« Reply #14 on: 4 Dec 2011, 06:48 pm »
I wasn't too interested in using the headphone amp portion of my DAC until recently.  I started using Audirvana and it's a very nice player.  I still wish my pre had a headphone out so I could listen to vinyl but my Mac Mini system playing Audirvana and going through my DAC isn't too bad. 

I still would like to try the new Grant DAC and the Bifrost though. :)

Chad