What Classical are you listening to ON VINYL?

Folsom

Re: What Classical are you listening to ON VINYL?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2019, 11:33 pm »
Anyone buy on Discogs?

Netherlands/Dutch shipping prices are destroying me. UK? CHEAP.  Some just charge a lot period.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 26 Apr 2019, 03:25 am »
Occasionally.  Usually for jazz, trying to find a specific pressing that doesn't break the bank.  Hard to do. 

THROWBACK

« Reply #22 on: 26 Apr 2019, 12:28 pm »
The best approach is to have been born in the '30s and to have started collecting records in the '50s when they were only $2.98. Can't help you now, I'm afraid.

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 26 Apr 2019, 04:40 pm »
Maybe if you lived in Europe. They didn't release a lot of the good stuff in the US. (classical)

Randy

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2019, 03:13 am »
I have about a thousand or two classical Lps (wild guess on the no.)  I wish I could get to you guys somehow. I don't listen to them any more. Been there, done that, and I'm not going back.  Anybody coming to Wyoming any time soon?

S Clark

« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:06 am »
I have about a thousand or two classical Lps (wild guess on the no.)  I wish I could get to you guys somehow. I don't listen to them any more. Been there, done that, and I'm not going back.  Anybody coming to Wyoming any time soon?
How soon is soon?  I could be persuaded to go to this years RMAF, then just another day to Wyoming.  Then two days back to Abilene.  Could be done.   :eyebrows:

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:17 am »

I’ll come get them, I mean I don’t think I am far away. I’ll PM you.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2019, 06:58 am by Folsom »

Randy

« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2019, 10:04 pm »
How soon is soon?  I could be persuaded to go to this years RMAF, then just another day to Wyoming.  Then two days back to Abilene.  Could be done.   :eyebrows:

Let's put it this way. It would be nice to get rid of them soon as I can, but at the same time, there's no hurry.

S Clark

« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2019, 10:07 pm »
If Jeremy hasn't gotten them, and you haven't found a better option, I'll commit to going to the RMAF and driving up afterward.   :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #29 on: 28 Apr 2019, 08:25 pm »

Vladimir Ashkenazy, Lorin Maazel, Tchaikovsky* ‎– Piano Concerto No.1
Label: London Records ‎– CS 6360

Not the best recording, but ok.

S Clark

« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2019, 02:39 am »
When I was a kid taking piano lessons, I was in awe of the virtuosity of Vladimir Horowitz.  To this day he amazes me.
Horowitz Encores on Columbia.  The 70's Columbia pressings are usually pretty decent compared to what happened to RCA and Phillips of the same period. 

Folsom

« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2019, 03:28 am »
Nice, I'll add it to my list.

Folsom

« Reply #32 on: 1 May 2019, 05:41 am »

Ernest Bloch, The New London Quintet* ‎– Piano Quintet No. 1
Label: HNH Records ‎– HNH 4063

S Clark

« Reply #33 on: 2 May 2019, 01:23 am »
Joaquin Rodrigo  Fantasia Para Un Gentilehombre on Musical Heritage Society.  MHS 1274

I have so much respect for the thousands of lp's that Musical Heritage Society pressed over the decades.  So many minor works that might never have been widely known.  This is such a wonderful piece, often overlooked by the glare of Rodrigo's more famous compositions.  Typical clean MHS pressing of a young not so well known Ernesto Bitetti and the Madrid Orchestra.  Also Albeniz, Falla, Torroba, and Villa-Lobos works.

« Last Edit: 2 May 2019, 09:10 pm by S Clark »

Folsom

« Reply #34 on: 2 May 2019, 01:45 am »
I use to think they were junk, now I know only a lot of them are.

S Clark

« Reply #35 on: 2 May 2019, 03:10 am »
MHS pressings came from all over the place.  I know they re-issued much of the Lyrita collection.  Many of those were pressed by Decca.  Look for the unknown English composer William Baines played by Eric Parkin.  Died just after WW1 of TB at about 22 y.o. 

This is the Lyrita version. 
« Last Edit: 2 May 2019, 09:07 pm by S Clark »

Folsom

« Reply #36 on: 2 May 2019, 06:44 am »
Already on my want list!

Randy

« Reply #37 on: 2 May 2019, 08:39 pm »
MHS pressings came from all over the place.  I know they re-issued much of the Lyrita collection.  Many of those were pressed by Decca.  Look for the unknown English composer William Baines played by Eric Parkin.  Died just after WW1 of TB at about 22 y.o. 

I have Baines piano music on CD. One time I wrote to Chandos telling them they should record some of Baines's orchestral music. (There isn't much, but what there is has been highly praised.)  I got a reply something like this.  "We have referred your message to Richard Hickox for his consideration."  Nothing came of it.

Randy

« Reply #38 on: 2 May 2019, 08:48 pm »
Joaquin Rodrigo  Fantasia Para Un Gentilehombre on Musical Heritage Society.  MHS 1274

I have so much respect for the thousands of lp's that Musical Heritage Society pressed over the decades.  So many minor works that might never have been widely known.  This is such a wonderful piece, often overlooked by the glare of Rodrigo's more famous compositions.  Typical clean MHS pressing of a young not so well known Ernesto Bitetti and the Madrid Orchestra.  Also Albeniz, Falla, Torroba, and Villa-Lobos works.

I was a charter member of MHS when I was in high school, circa 1963. When they started they only issued imported Baroque recordings, most from France but some German recordings, esp. good ones of Bach cantatas. Does the name Helmut Krebs ring a bell? A couple years later they sent around a long questionnaire to members asking what other kinds of music they should try to issue. I was then in my Schoenberg/Webern/Berg loving phase of late high school years, so I told them to give us some of that music.  Not sure if they ever did.

S Clark

« Reply #39 on: 2 May 2019, 09:16 pm »
Since we are on a MHS roll,  another good one is Twelve Spanish Dances played by Alicia de Larroche (who else?)  on MHS 1518

Excellent music, excellent performance, pretty clean pressing... what's not to like.  Besides, Granados had the best mustache of any composer!