Cartridges for WTA?

Plink

Re: Cartridges for WTA?
« Reply #40 on: 10 Jan 2012, 08:21 am »
hi there,
i am not a native speaker so tech talk maybe somewhat missleading from my side, sorry for that.

plink is right, i am referring to the high degree of damping when i say slow.
but also to the observation that with lp's which are not completely flat the arm would have more resistance to follow the bending of the surface, thats what i actually meant with "slow".

i thought heavy systems would go quite well, but thats not quite right because they would sink faster than a light system on a down-slope but rise slower on the up-slope of a bend. so it is really a stand-off on that part between light and heavy systems.

I see now Phoner.  I agree.

roscoeiii

« Reply #41 on: 16 Jan 2012, 09:12 pm »
Wow, I just got a rebuilt XX-2 Mk II back from SoundSmith. Unbelievable. The best my turntable set-up has sounded, even before it has been dialed in precisely on the WTA. The detail, coherence and dynamics are fabulous, with great bass. I am using it with the Dyna P75 phono stage, taking advantage of its PE mode.

Caveats: Do note that I don't have experience with other carts near the XX-2 MkII's list price. This is my first move into LOMC as well. And I have not compared this to a stock Dyna XX-2 Mk II. The only reason I could afford this cart was buying one with the cantilever broken off, and sending it to Soundsmith.

threadkiller

« Reply #42 on: 16 Jan 2012, 09:28 pm »
Good to hear.  Enjoy!

DavidS

« Reply #43 on: 16 Jan 2012, 10:54 pm »
I have recently installed an Ortofon Jubilee on my table as well.  Quite impressive in much the same way Roscoe is reporting.  As with my Denon 103R seems to be enjoying arm with tail down more than the other way.  Looking forward to reading responses to the request for measurements and trying those out on my table as it is very much trial and error here.

David

roscoeiii

« Reply #44 on: 16 Jan 2012, 11:49 pm »
Speaking of set-up and to remove some degree of trial and error, please see my suggestion for providing set-up measurements in the thread I started today:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102552.msg1039669;topicseen#new

There is a lot we can easily measure and report backon thanks to the design of this table...

bernie_f

• Laissez les bons temps rouler
« Reply #45 on: 14 Feb 2012, 12:02 pm »
Yes, I'm using a new Super Gold.  It and the WTA are "marriage made in heaven" IMO.   :D

I started with a lot of damping on the arm - golf ball over 1/3 into silicone and VERY slow arm movement.  I found this to over-damp things and the time for the arm to settle was WAY too long.  I've been able to to raise the ball considerably, have very free movement of the arm - just a bit of resistance -  little settling time, and experience no downside in sound -- actually it sounds even more lively. 

I am using clay damping on the outside of the cartridge body and also a thin graphite sheet between the cartridge and headshell.  Works for me!

Doak

Hi Doak.
Since my Soundsmith SG-200 is out for revision, I'm thinking about giving the DECCAs a try. Could you please explain if you are using the POD-System and if the clay is absolutely necessary or could it be replaced by something more elegant? Where did you get the plastic-screws and what carbon-mat did you use under the headshell? Phono-Pre? I'm asking because the Soundsmith comes with its own dedicated Pre that cannot be used by other carts...

Did you have any problems with the height f the PickUp regarding the VTA and damping container?

have a nice spin anyway
bernie

doak

« Reply #46 on: 14 Feb 2012, 04:08 pm »
Hi Doak.
Since my Soundsmith SG-200 is out for revision, I'm thinking about giving the DECCAs a try. Could you please explain if you are using the POD-System and if the clay is absolutely necessary or could it be replaced by something more elegant? Where did you get the plastic-screws and what carbon-mat did you use under the headshell? Phono-Pre? I'm asking because the Soundsmith comes with its own dedicated Pre that cannot be used by other carts...

Did you have any problems with the height f the PickUp regarding the VTA and damping container?

have a nice spin anyway
bernie

Hi Bernie,

I put the clay on while using the using the Decca Super Gold on a NAS Spacedeck/Spacearm.  The extra damping did improve things there.  I just left it on when I moved the cartridge to the WTA where I doubt that is doing much to improve things - possibly the opposite!   However I'm liking what I'm hearing so haven't been in a hurry to remove the clay.  At some point I should "do the experiment" and hear the SG naked the "new" table.

The plastic screws come with the Decca.  The graphite "sliver" is something acquired long ago.  My phono preamp is a substantially modified EAR 834P.  I have a feeling that a Decca Pod would not be a good combo with the WTA arm since is so well damped already it may just lose some of the wonderful "liveliness" for which the London Decca cartridges are renowned.

BTW:  I had NO problems properly mounting the LDSG on the WTA.

Enjoy!
Doak

bernie_f

« Reply #47 on: 14 Feb 2012, 04:44 pm »
Thnx a lot for the insights. Sounds much easier and hassle free to me now...just a plain DECCA Super Gold and here we go!
Funny: i have a spare EAR 834P MM lying around. Your mods?

cu
bernie

doak

« Reply #48 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:04 am »
Thnx a lot for the insights. Sounds much easier and hassle free to me now...just a plain DECCA Super Gold and here we go!
Funny: i have a spare EAR 834P MM lying around. Your mods?

cu
bernie

Lots of mods Bernie.   I did a bunch of stuff according to the "guide" that Thorsen Loesch posted on forums.  I also sent it to Mitch Singerman after I broke it when modding.  He undid/redid some things that I did.  He also installed Hovland Musicaps which I used for a couple of years before changing them out to Mundorf Silver/Oil -- BIG improvement IMO.  I LOVE these Mundorfs and use them throughout the system.   

The tube set makes a world of difference/improvement in this circuit.  I'm now using a pair of GE 5751 black plate/triple mica in the gain stages and a Telefunken smooth-plate as the cathode follower.   

Works for me!

bernie_f

« Reply #49 on: 16 Feb 2012, 02:29 pm »
Hi Doak.
Yes. I´ll start with the tube rolling tonight (i have to look whats lying around) and some mundorfs are waiting to be soldered in...

cheers
bernie