POP!!

audiomaniac

POP!!
« on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:28 am »
I had just tried my first tube roll in my RM10 MKII with a quad of Gold Lions. I turned the bias all the way down and after 20 minutes slowly brought it up to 250, just as Roger indicates in his instuctions. Then I enjoyed an LP and was just getting to the end of side 2 and POP! Lost the left channel. I turned the amp off immediately and changed the fuse. The fuse holder twisted loose so I removed the bottom plate to tighten it and saw what looks like leaking caps:

After I tightened the fuse holder and put the bottom plate back on, I turned the bias down and slowly brought it back up to a safe level. I now have sound coming from the left channel, but want to check with Roger about what I found before I use it. Bummer!! It was really sounding nice too!

Scottdazzle

Re: POP!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:52 pm »
You should call Roger on the phone.  He answers when he is in and is always helpful.  He doesn't check AC often and is spotty about replying to email.

audiomaniac

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:06 pm »
I just spoke with Roger on the phone. Since I am a total novice, I am going to send the amp in for him to take a look at it and the tubes. But essentially, it looks like the tubes aren't very well matched and are the main cause of the problem. Roger explained that not all tube testing and matching is the same. I probably didn't get a set that was up to the task. I guess this teaches me a lesson. As for the caps, Roger is going to check them out and make sure there aren't any other issues. I've spoken with Roger before and he always takes the time to really explain things to you and help you out, even though he's really busy. It's always a learning experience, for sure, which is a good thing!

You should call Roger on the phone.  He answers when he is in and is always helpful.  He doesn't check AC often and is spotty about replying to email.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:18 pm »

audiomaniac

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:01 am »
I just wanted to follow up on this, as I just got my amp back from Roger. He replaced the leaking caps and tested the Gold Lion tubes. The tubes tested OK. He had my amp on the bench and in his system for days and couldn't replicate the problem. BUT, I have since discovered that the wiring inside my speakers had worked loose on the inside of the terminals. I now believe that the left channel shorted which is what blew the fuse. I just happened to find the caps leaking a little in the process. I'm listeining to the amp now and it sounds better than ever. I want to thank Roger for his patience and efforts in resolving my issues! He did a great job! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: