pickering xv-15 1200e Cartridge

EZHusky

• Just a Highschooler trying to get by.
Re: pickering xv-15 1200e Cartridge
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2019, 06:18 am »
EZHusky is this what you have? i don't think the stylus should rotate.

These images are blurry because my phone is dumb, but you can get the idea from them

I can turn it this way

Or this way

toocool4

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:02 am »
This is a no brainer, stop using this cartridge unless you don’t value your records. Get yourself a new cartridge.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:17 am »
I can't see a thing in the pics.  The orange crooked thingy (headshell?) is not part of the cartridge.  Can you describe what's wrong?  Thanks.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:24 pm »
Clearly that stylus end does NOT belong to that cartridge!
Googling it does seem there are correct replacement stylus for between $40 and $80 available.

EZHusky

• Just a Highschooler trying to get by.
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:18 pm »
I can't see a thing in the pics.  The orange crooked thingy (headshell?) is not part of the cartridge.  Can you describe what's wrong?  Thanks.
My phone camera can't focus for some reason, the orange part is the stylus

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:39 pm »
Yeah, perhaps there's settings in the phone that can be changed?  As Elizabeth already noted that's not the replacement stylus for that cartridge.  It's a lovely sounding cartridge that's worth putting the proper stylus on.

UncleMeat

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jan 2019, 07:33 am »
There is no stylus for the XV-15 that has an orange colored carrier.  When the stylus carrier is fully inserted to the body it should be tight with no rotation left or right.  A 1200e stylus (genuine Pickering) isn't readily available since Pickering/Stanton has gone out of business long ago.  But all hope is not lost, there are NOS stylus and aftermarket replacements that have gotten good reviews.

You're looking for a replacement XV-15 stylus, it can be anything from a D100 up to a D-1800.  The prices are widely variable and of course the fidelity increases as prices go up.  For a good middle of the road stylus I suggest a D-625e.  It's got excellent sound and it won't break the bank.  Here's a link to one on eBay:

http://ebay.us/4ZXFo6

That is only an example, prices are highly variable and sometimes a deal can be found or an auction will close at a low ending price.

You can also search turntableneedles.com lpgear.com and general web searches; but usually those only produce results that are aftermarket replacements to varying degrees of quality.  Pfanstiehl was the OEM for Pickering, but only old stock (in the boxes with gold lettering) are 'original' to Pickering's design specs.

Good luck, don't ruin your records with a stylus that does not align properly.  The XV-15/625 combo is a GREAT starting point for getting into vinyl BTW.

LarryRS

« Reply #27 on: 16 Sep 2019, 11:30 pm »
JICO makes a stylus for the XV15 that is quite good and not expensive.  https://www.jico-stylus.com/product/d1200/

LarryRS