What Power Cords with Your Modwright Sony

Gordy

« Reply #20 on: 1 Apr 2006, 04:17 pm »
Quote from: OTL

You mention "balanced power".  What is that exactly?

OTL

Hello OTL,

Here's a thread on balanced power from the lab circle...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=18441

and a older thread on the Volex's...  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=15325

OTL

« Reply #21 on: 1 Apr 2006, 09:14 pm »
Occam said:

kmmd - I looked at your system link and don't understand how you're producing balanced (technical) power. Do you also have a ExactPower SP15A or SP15Ax4 balancing transformer(s) to provide that balanced mains power?

Hence my previous quesiton...? :D

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #22 on: 1 Apr 2006, 11:08 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out...I don't have an SP15A and no balancing transformers in my system.  All along I thought that the Ultimate Outlets, four of them in the Power Director, with the baluns and equal windings produced a balanced output.  :oops:   Always learning...

Occam

« Reply #23 on: 2 Apr 2006, 02:32 pm »
kmmd- Given PS Audio's nonsensical use of the term 'balun' to describe the CMC (common mode choke) used in their UO and PowerDirectors, your assumption is quite understandable.
If you're considering adding balancing to your ExactPower conditioner (whether by their SPA or other), make sure that purchase is returnable. IMO, balancing is 'icing on the cake', and the major benefit of powerconditioners, balancing or not, is their powerconditioning feature, specifically how they deal with common and normal mode noise. You might find that the incremental benefits of adding balancing to your present configuration is not subjectively worth the incremental costs.