Where to buy a new Sony DVP-NS999ES?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 8 Sep 2004, 02:49 pm »
I am leaning towards having Dan do the Platinum mods to the Sony DVP-NS999ES.  Before I decide to go new or used, I am trying to see what I can get a new unit for.

If anybody knows a place, please let me know.

Thanks,

George

vpolineni

J North

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2004, 04:59 pm »
www.oade.com

give them a call. Excellent Service.

modwright

www.oade.com
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2004, 07:48 pm »
Oade Brothers consistently offers good pricing, excellent service and packs the gear well.  You may save a few $ on e-bay, but you are taking your chances somewhat on an unknown seller.

Be careful with other on-line etailers who quote excellent prices but don't actually have the product to ship, leading to frustrating waits, etc.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2004, 12:18 am »
Crutchfield carries them.  They have excellent customer service.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2004, 12:21 am »
Quote from: Levi
Crutchfield carries them.  They have excellent customer service.

Levi,

Crutchfield is not showing that they have the 999.

George

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2004, 12:25 am »
George, did you see this???

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1098120342

Maybe Dan could get it to have the sound you need?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2004, 12:37 am »
I did see it.

I will check with Dan, but I think he feels his more current work is better.

Thanks,

George

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2004, 02:01 am »
Quote from: Marbles
George, did you see this???

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1098120342

Maybe Dan could get it to have the sound you need?

I found this at augon.

Raphael

Purchasing Sony 999ES.
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2004, 05:06 pm »
I am checking out the Sony 999ES too.  I checked on techbargains.com (Find Lowest Price) and found the Sony 999ES from $679 to $689 at the lowest end ($709 to 714 w/shipping).

Follow-up Questions:  I just stumbled on this website today.  Looks pretty good.  
On order for audition is the Marantz DV8400 (after reading Robert Levi's review; wanted to get a universal player [CD, SACD & DVD-A).  After ordering it, I found Robert Levi's review of the ModWright Sony 999ES.  Now, I am seriously thinking that I should forgo the DVD-A and get the ModWright 999ES.  Obviously, Robert Levi's review seemed to be over the top but he sure got my attention.  My concern is that I really don't want to pay out this kind of money w/o hearing the player.  I sent an email yesterday to Mr. Wright about this.  I suspect that my only choice is to take the plunge if I wnat to get the player.  
I have read several of your thoughtful comments regarding Robert Levi's review.  I assume that you have listened to the current Platinum mod and that is why you are pursuing this path.  Were your reservations addressed?  How good do you think that it sounds?
I have an older system which meets my needs (except for good CD and SACD [and, possibly, DVD-A]):  Jeff Rowland and Avalon Ascents etc.
Your comments on the ModWright Platinum 999ES would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks  Raphael

Replevin

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2004, 06:52 pm »
Raphael, where do you live in Virginia?  You are welcome to come over and listen to my ns999es (time permitting).

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Purchasing Sony 999ES.
« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2004, 08:56 pm »
Quote from: Raphael
I am checking out the Sony 999ES too.  I checked on techbargains.com (Find Lowest Price) and found the Sony 999ES from $679 to $689 at the lowest end ($709 to 714 w/shipping).

Follow-up Questions:  I just stumbled on this website today.  Looks pretty good.  
On order for audition is the Marantz DV8400 (after reading Robert Levi's review; wanted to get a universal player [CD, SACD & DVD-A).  After ordering it, I found Robert Levi's review of the ModWright Sony 999ES.  Now, I am seriously thinking that I  ...

I've commented on/reviewed mine (Platinum 999ES) a few times already....over in the thread about the PF Online review

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=11449.msg111514#111514

page 8

Ted_B

FrankieBoy

• http://www.fsaudioweb.com
Modwright Sony 999ES
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2004, 05:33 am »
I initially thought that Robert Levi's review, was very "overstated", until I ordered the 999ES with all the mods. All I can say is that Robert was being conservative...the sound is that good , both CD and SACD.
With the superior video, its a real audio bargain.
I was so impressed that I became a dealer for Dan Wright.
I sell many other great sounding CD & SACD players, but this player is really outstanding.

Frank
www.fsaudioweb.com

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2004, 01:50 pm »
Frank,
Hi.  And welcome to AudioCircle.  I'm the guy who found you on the web and called you in a panic when Dan was on his well-deserved vacation.  The burn-in of the 999ES went well, and the sound is absolutely out-of-this-wordly good.  

Gang,  this man provided me with all kinds of great advice, and I'm not a customer.  We spoke for some time and I will surely buy SOMETHING from him in the near future.  He is a pleasure to work with.  (I, or any of my family members, are not affiliated with him commercially....).    :)

ted_b

mattybumpkin

Bump
« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2005, 07:50 pm »
I would like to keep this thread going, I would also like to know sources for the 999ES.  Anybody know Oade Bros. price and whether they have black and silver models or not?  I am looking for a silver one if possible.

Any other reliable sources?

Thnx,

Matty

gibheid

More players than you can wave a stick at...
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2005, 03:37 am »
You need never wonder about the availability of anything ever again... Froogle.com is the shopper's friend!  I found about 20-odd sellers by doing this search:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Sony+DVP-NS999ES

There's even a few silver ones in there!

modwright

Sony 999ES pricing.
« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2005, 04:45 pm »
Hi guys, I believe the best price on the web is $500, but I could be wrong.  We are currently running a special on Audiogon for Silver 999ES units with Platinum Plus (includes XO3 clock and all current updates) for $2400 + shipping.  That equals Mod Price + $300 for the player.  I doubt that you are going to do any better than this.

We have very limited stock at this point, so please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,

Dan W.