A demo pair of N1X's are out there now...

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: A demo pair of N1X's are out there now...
« Reply #80 on: 23 Dec 2010, 01:36 am »
Ok, I guess it's review time.

I listened to them via my tube gear and as my home theater mains (w/ servo sub!) and in both set-ups they were a noticeable improvement over my Ninja'd AV123 X-series speakers.  It seemed like a small improvement at first but the more time I spent listening to them the better they sounded.

The main difference between the N1X's and my AV123 speakers are the tweeters.  The Neo tweeters are very nice sounding.  They throw a very wide and detailed (but not hyper-detailed) soundstage with good depth.  No sibilence issues.  Just very smooth, clean and open. 

I pulled one of the woofers (very carefully) just to confirm the crossover parts and I saw regular Sonicaps with Gen 2 bypasses, Mills resistors and Alpha-Core inductors.  No Platinum bypasses which really surprised me as the N1X's sounded better than my platinum bypassed X-series speakers!  I've always thought those Encore tweeters sounded their best with platinum bypasses but the Neos really are superior.  I can't imagine how much better they would get with platinums. :o

The other night I was flipping channels and came across some random weather channel on cable.  It just had some instrumental music playing in stereo with the weather reports.  I was about to change it when I recognized the beginning of the Peanuts theme music.  I was dumbstruck by it because even though I've heard that music probably hundreds of times, I'd never heard it sound like a real performance before.  All previous occasions made it sound canned like what most low-fi gear does to music.  Now the instruments were beautifully separated and distinct and the pacing seemed more live.  The bass really stood out and sounded like a stand-up bass!  Awesome stuff indeed!

The final clincher on these involved my home theater set-up and an issue I've been having on rare occasions.  My servo-sub amp sometimes emits a buzzing sound which seems to come from the transformer.  It happens maybe once every 6 months.  I usually just unplug it leave it for a day or so and when I plug it back in its fine again. 

Anyway, it happend last week and I unplugged it as usual.  Now I usually listen at low to moderate volumes and maybe once a month crank things up for a movie.  Didn't crank it this past weekend but watched shows and played my xbox as usual and completely forgot the sub was off.  My Outlaw receiver is set with the mains at 80Hz, the Voce center is full range and my X-LS surrounds are cut off at 60Hz.  Maybe that says more for the Voce but the whole weekend I didn't miss my sub!  It all sounded dynamic and detailed and just seamless.   I just couldn't believe I had forgotten to plug the sub back in!

So after all that I'm a big fan of these speakers!  I can only imagine what the OB-5/7's sound like!  Or the O-3's! 

As great as the N1X's are I'm already sold on the V1's.  I'll be working on those over the next several months.  I've got some ideas on how to finish the cabinets and make them truly unique! :wink: 

Although I have to admit...
Those N3S' look really good too! :green:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #81 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:48 am »
Thanks for the review.  Your experience is similar to mine.

I have the xls encores with the Ninja elite upgrade. no Platinums though. I made the N3 sealed.  I found the tweeter on the encores was more detailed for some stuff like acoustic guitar.  But in my system they were just real close to bright.  At first I was kind off underwhelmed by the N3s, they just kind of sneak up on you.  The tweeters have a different kind of detail to them very, very smooth.  I haven't had even a tiny urge to put the x-ls back in the system. 

Yesterday I hooked up my cable box to my pre-amp and was just watching the space channel and couldn't believe the theme to one of the shows I watch.  It was like a symphony orchestra that really sounded good instead of the canned theme I get on my entry level Denon avr with the xls.

Platinum bypass caps are in the mail somewhere between Texas and Montreal.  I have no idea what to expect but am really looking forward to hearing them...

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #82 on: 23 Dec 2010, 04:14 am »
Adding the Sonicap Platinum bypass caps cleans up the high end even more than you hear now.  I have them in my N2X with the Ninja Nobel XO's and Super-V's!   Give them some burn-in time to sound their best.   

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #83 on: 23 Dec 2010, 11:32 am »
Adding the Sonicap Platinum bypass caps cleans up the high end even more than you hear now.   

Thanks for the reply on that buuuut...  I still have no idea what that means :lol:.  Wait and see I guess...

corndog71

« Reply #84 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:45 pm »
The main thing I noticed after adding the platinums was an increase in overall clarity.  More space and air between instruments and vocals giving them a slightly more life-like presentation.  Cymbals shimmer and decay more naturally without sounding artificial.  They say it takes them several hundred hours to sound their best but I've found them to be an immediate improvement right off the bat.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #85 on: 23 Dec 2010, 08:52 pm »
I know once I hear them I'm going to be saying "space and air"  but right now I don't get it...  :?

corndog71

« Reply #86 on: 23 Dec 2010, 09:21 pm »
Listen to your speakers with a blanket over them.

Take the blanket off and listen again.

It's kinda like that. :green:

Ron

« Reply #87 on: 23 Dec 2010, 10:59 pm »
 I have noticed the same thing about adding Platinum bypass capacitors that Corndog71 noticed. There is an immediate improvement but it does take 100 + hours for them to burn in and sound their best.