A completely new type of amplifier:

Danny Richie

A completely new type of amplifier:
« on: 10 May 2009, 02:15 am »
Gary Dodd just told me about an all new amp that he just completed, and there is certainly nothing like it on the market.

He designed a all battery powered tube amp that has a 15 watt output.

A mutual friend says it could be the best sounding amp that Gary has ever built. Gary feels like it could be as well.

Gary says that it is dead quiet, so it might be the dream amp for those guys with high sensitivity speakers that never can find an amp that doesn't have some level of hum. It might be a perfect match for our new Venue model as well since that full open baffle design has a 97db sensitivity level.

Gary is also shooting to keep this thing in the $1,000 to $1,200 range. If so then this could be a home run.

He also has been working on a battery powered tube head phone amp that is portable. It is even going to have an I-Pod docking station. He says the prototype sounds really good.

If any of you guys are interested in either of these new products then you might be able to get a deal on them by being the first to order. I know that if he does a good handful of them at once, it is cheaper for him to build them, and he might pass it on (knowing Gary).

Cacophonix

Re: A completely new type of amplifier:
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2009, 02:33 am »
Cool ... i take it that the cosmetics would match the battery pre?
Also is this mono or stereo amp?

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2009, 02:46 am »
It is a stereo amp.

I am pulling for the cosmetics to match the battery powered pre-amp as well, but that might add some cost.

He was also telling me that the batteries in the prototype will last about 3 hours before needing a charge. I am pushing for multiple battery packs for continuos operation, but I know that will add quite a bit to the cost. But I am sure he can make it any way that you want.

hmen

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2009, 02:52 am »
Can you tell us what kind of output tubes he's using?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2009, 02:57 am »
I am pretty sure that he told me that they were el84's.  Gary was pretty excited when I talked to him a couple of days ago.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2009, 03:58 am »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:24 pm by EARGASM »

jon_010101

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2009, 09:22 am »
I am pretty sure that he told me that they were el84's.  Gary was pretty excited when I talked to him a couple of days ago.

I'm curious to find out, but my first guess would be the EL86 - which is a low voltage high current version of the same. 

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2009, 09:02 pm »
Yep, I have done it again! I have a prototype all tube power amplifier running on a battery!!! :drool:
I have already had several emails asking for further details. I do have and am currently using the prototype amp all layed out on a piece of cardboard. I have not yet figured out what to do for packaging.
I do know that the first generation of this new amp will be as simple as possible and will not have any features except on/off and autocharge and small as possible. This is a first of it's kind to be offered, and not a good time to introduce a product to market, this being the main reason to keep it under $1200 if at all possible. Later models could have features like continuous play, integrateds, and monoblocks all come at higher costs. I know from emails that you guys want it to be like the preamp, at the intro price of <$1200 I cannot do it that way, I am still undicided for now, but thinking hard on it.  :scratch:I can say a few things about the amp and it's sonics.
It is a 6BQ5/EL84 based amp using 6DJ8's on the front end. It is a stereo  version and it is what will be sold for the actual product once packaged and finalized. The prototype is using 2 DJ8's on the frontend, but I believe I can get away with just 1 and not hurt the sonics, if so then I can free up some more battery curent, meaning a little longer play time. It is a very simple design and it is using cathode bias for simplicity. As in all of my products the coupling caps will be Sonicaps standard. As I said the first gen of these will only have a power on/off switch and will auto charge on turn off. They will use cardas posts and inputs. The first run will probaby be using only 1 battery pack, it is a NIMH type, very compact and lightwieght. NIMH batteries do NOT have a memory effect and can be charged up to 1000 times without loss of life, the only drawback is the cost, very expensive! They will be able to be very easily changed by anyone using them. The magic is in the power supply I have designed for this amp! It is very special and I am very excited about it! I had 1 email and he was thinking I may be using EL86 tubes due to their low voltage capability and hi current. No I am using EL84's and don't go poking around in there cause they are running at 300vdc! YES, the power supply is delivering 300 vdc and it can supply in excess of 1 amp of current! aa The magic is the way I did it, the effeciency of this supply is 98% at load!!! :green: The rest is black box stuff you'll never know! The entire stereo amp draws 4.7 amps from the battery continuously.
I may include a connector on the back to be able to connect external batteries for those who wish more usable time. Sonics
Start with your ear up against the speaker, NO difference between amp on and amp off! :thumb:
If you have bad CD's or a bad componet in your system be prepared to have it made clearly known while listening. The resolution of this thing is beyond anything I have ever heard! The dynamics for a 15 watt/chan amp are absolutely incredible! It is very balanced from top to bottom, oh the bottom, very defined and solid no colorations here, no colorations in the entire spectrum and it is wide! For the guys who have very effiecient speakers (104+ DB) who have megabuck amps and still have noise and line grunge, I promise this amp to solve all those problems at an affordable price.
I also have a new HP amp using tubes and batteries, but we'l talk about it later in another post maybe. Any questions please feel free to call or email (972-276-6865) gldodd@verizon.net :green: :green:
Gary

cryoparts

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2009, 09:20 pm »

I also have a new HP amp using tubes and batteries, but we'l talk about it later in another post maybe.

Yes, please do!  Soon!

Lee

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2009, 09:32 pm »
:D sounds like good stuff,,,, but we need continuous play for sure.... :D

jkelly

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2009, 10:14 pm »
I am interested in one.

Jeff

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2009, 11:49 am »
We can easily make our own battery pack with a bunch of cells to give more play time surely.

Sounds like a brilliant concept anyway, looking forward to seeing it!

santacore

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2009, 01:54 pm »
Sounds great, I can't wait to hear more.

Jon L

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2009, 05:29 pm »
The prototype is using 2 DJ8's on the frontend, but I believe I can get away with just 1 and not hurt the sonics, if so then I can free up some more battery curent, meaning a little longer play time.

Yes, please, less tubes.  I only have one CCA left in my stash  :cry:

Is it push-pull or single-ended (4 or 2 EL84)?

dweekie

« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2009, 05:53 pm »
15W would indicate pushpull.  This is definitely an interesting tube amp; I'll be sure to keep an eye on it when released. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2009, 10:39 pm »
I just spoke with Gary about this new amp again. He is really happy with the sound.

The one thing that can really make the biggest difference in the price is the battery power supply options. He has been looking at Lithium Ion types, chargers, and the amount of space they take up. Multiple batteries make the chassis bigger and more expensive. Some may want enough power for 8 or 10 hours and some may only want enough for 3 or 4  hours.

Then there is the possibility of using gel cell type automotive batteries. They are a lot less expensive and would play a long time but would have to set on the floor or something because they are pretty heavy. One might even want to DIY a nice battery box for an automotive type battery and charger.

With all the possibilities out there, I then brought up the idea of building the amp with no internal batteries and making all the batteries external. So you can plug in any type of 12 volt battery that you want.

That would make the amp pretty small and much less expensive to build. Gary felt like he could make it look really nice in a small chassis and keep the price in the $900 range.

What do you guys think about offering the amp without batteries and then several external battery options?

hmen

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2009, 10:48 pm »
I would prefer a smaller chassis and an external battery.

maxwalrath

« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2009, 10:52 pm »

What do you guys think about offering the amp without batteries and then several external battery options?

sounds like a great idea to me. 

Will2

« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2009, 10:58 pm »
FWIW I would have one standard version with whatever I think the most popular battery option will be built in, but offer external battery options as just that, options.  I expect a standard version with the battery in the same chassis will keep the all-in cost down while offering options, especially external ones, would increase the cost.  Those who want to specify exactly what they want can choose to pay the extra cost.

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2009, 11:07 pm »
Yea, but then if there were internals and external options then there would have to be separate charging systems for each battery system.

I am kind of leaning towards all external batteries myself. Then if someone wanted Lithium Ion batteries in a matching chassis they could. Or the could put a plug in their wall that the amp connected to and on the other side of the wall there is a deep cycle marine battery.