A couple of questions from a novice!!

KTS

A couple of questions from a novice!!
« on: 10 Apr 2023, 12:00 pm »
Good morning,

This is referring to the NX Studio’s
I have searched but could not find answers to a couple of questions.
1. When soldering a Neo 3 tweeter do I need to know anything different that soldering any other driver? Too much heat or different techniques.
2. I noticed that some people solder the Neo 3 tabs up and some tabs down (flipped over upside down) does this mean you need to reverse the red and white leads?
3. Alright 3 questions- is the fat tab is positive (red)?

Thank you, Kelly

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: A couple of questions from a novice!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2023, 01:23 pm »
Positioning the Neo3 up or down is merely preference. I positioned mine with the tabs up for easier soldering. As for which is + or -, mine had a red dot by the positive terminal which I believe runs it out of phase (little tab). I can verify and post a photo shortly.

Digi-G

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2023, 01:58 pm »
I did use an alligator clip with a wire, as a heat sink.  Wanted to be safe.

I soldered mine with the tabs facing down, so that minimal wire is exposed.  I soldered mine before mounting the tweeter.

Mine also had a red dot next to the positive tab, albeit it's the larger tab.  But, I too, thought that the phase gets switched somewhere in the crossover.

Here is my soldering tip for a novice, which I am.  I was excited when it came to the soldering step and nearly didn't give the soldering iron time to fully warm up.  Be patient and let it get hot, it makes things so much easier.  And faster.  You'll find you don't have to hold the iron on as long to get good results.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2023, 02:35 pm »
Yep, I was wrong, I can confirm it is the large tab that is the + lead for the tweeter.

KTS

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2023, 03:12 pm »
Thank you all, great info much appreciated!!

Kelly,

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2023, 03:31 pm »
Photo example for reference, regarding tweeter terminal tabs.  As far as positioning tweeter tabs on top or bottom? That is a personal preference you'll have to decide, there is no right or wrong.

KTS

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2023, 03:34 pm »
Thank you