A/V 1 Capable of "high" output without much distor

Paladin165

« on: 14 Oct 2004, 03:56 am »
I'm interested in purchasing a pair of A/V 1's or maybe even a 5 speaker set, however I like my movies and my music played quite loud.  "Loud" basically meaning a level thats hard to talk over.  I'm particularly concerned about ringing, sibilance, or frequency peaks that tend to manifest themselves when speakers are pushed to their published wattage limits (100 watts RMS in the case of the A/V 1) or beyond.  I'm not really talking about bass here I know a single 5 inch woofer can only deliver a limited amount of bass.  I'm talking about output of lower midrange and up.

Nothing is more dissapointing for me than turning up the volume only to cringe as the sound turns harsh.  How loud can the A/V 1 play without problems, assuming it is protected from excessive bass?  Would I be happier with the A/V 2 or 3 or another GR product?

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
A/V-1's
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2004, 04:03 pm »
Recently at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, we demo-ed the A/V-1's using a pair of 120 watt Dodd Audio tube amps.

Our new 12" sub covered the first octave duty.

On numerous times we aired out the big amps on them with high volume loads playing Dire Straights, Metallica, AC/DC, and even some old Accept.

I'd have to say that they breezed right through it. Without the sub though they would have left me wanting for more impact though.

The only area effected by higher distortion levels when driven hard is the 200Hz and down region. This is due to the small paper cone woofer having to work at its limits.

This will be typical with any small woofer.

I'm particularly concerned about ringing, sibilance, or frequency peaks

None of that occurs.

Nothing is more dissapointing for me than turning up the volume only to cringe as the sound turns harsh.

That will never happen with these speakers.

From what you are telling me though I would recommend spending an additional $100. and getting the A/V-3 kit.

It will give you more output with less input (91db for the A/V-3 as apposed to 86db with the A/V-1's).

This will allow your amp or receiver more headroom as you will not have to push it near as hard to get the needed output levels.

The bottom end extends to a -3db of 40Hz as well.

Plus the transmission line loading will allow you to take greater advantage of the surface area of the dual woofer design (more impact).

Paladin165

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2004, 10:39 pm »
thanks for the response Danny, I hadn't realized the A/V 3 had such a sensitivity increase over the A/V 1.

george king

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2004, 07:00 pm »
Paladin,

I use three AV-1s across the front, with a Titanic MKII 12" subwoofer using a Rotel 1075 amp.

The AV-1s play loud and clean.  No problem there.  They NEVER sound harsh once they break in.  

However, I agree with Danny (as all reasonable people do  :lol: ) that they do need a sub.

Happy listening, and no matter what GR speaker you choose you will be ecstatic