Will these cars be showing up in your neighborhood...and would you buy one?

srb

The part I don't understand is why it's classified as a motorcycle?

This excerpt from bizTIMES :

"Because it has three wheels — two in front and one in the rear — the Elio is classified as a motorcycle by the U.S. government."

And goes on to say:

"But Elio Motors founder Paul Elio says the vehicle has all the safety features of a car, like anti-lock brakes, front and side air bags and a steel cage that surrounds the occupants. Drivers won't be required to wear helmets or have motorcycle licenses."

JohnR

Thanks Steve.

I guess something like this is sortof no-mans lands as far as the laws are concerned then. Although it's not like three-wheeled vehicles are new or anything (someone posted pics of some Morgan's earlier). I wonder what it would be classified as here. Oh well, will be interesting to see, surely there has to be a market for lightweight, fuel-efficient, economical (to buy as well as run) vehicles that anyone can drive.

srb

I'm hoping the Elio will be a success as it would be a good thing to see this new segment of lightweight low-cost fuel-efficient commuters catch on.  Acceptance and subsequent market competition would likely produce some great vehicle choices including all-electric variants, where lighter weight and size could make electric implementation even more feasible.

Steve

Doublej

Personally I like the Polaris Slingshot but it's in a different league price-wise and designed for a different purpose.

Russell Dawkins

I guess something like this is sortof no-mans lands as far as the laws are concerned then.
I'm sure that's true - particularly because it is completely enclosed, unlike other two-in-front three wheelers like the Bombardier/Can-Am, the new Harley conversion kit with the one rear wheel   http://scorpiontrikes.com/   and the Piaggio scooters you see everywhere in Paris.

The Polaris Slingshot I see as more car–like the Elio, in spite of it being topless, partly because you are riding in, not on, it. Helmets should no more be required by law than in any open top sports car–plus, it does have rudimentary roll bars.

Another looming no man's land in the field of transportation is the high power electric bicycle sure to be around the corner.  :o