Octal 6 vs. Ultra 4m?

Wocius

Octal 6 vs. Ultra 4m?
« on: 25 Jan 2003, 06:59 pm »
I'm just putting together a system and will be driving fairly high efficiency speakers (probably Axioms or PSB Images, both rated sensitivity >92 dB) and will have a CDP, tuner and turntable.  I'm looking seriously at a couple of Stealth 5 amps.

Can someone suggest how to choose between these two preamps?  I know that, vis-a-vis the Ultra 4, the Octal 6 has the three config choices, built in power supply and no phono stage.  

If I do the math right, a pre-assembled Octal 6 + a Phono 4 will cost $200 more than an Ultra 4m + a PS 1m power supply.  What would be gained for the ~33% price differential?  Re the Ultra 4, is there a significant benefit to having the power supply separate from the rest of the preamp?

Many thanks.

Wo

akshobhyavajra

Re: Octal 6 vs. Ultra 4m?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2003, 11:05 am »
Quote from: Wocius

Can someone suggest how to choose between these two preamps?  I know that, vis-a-vis the Ultra 4, the Octal 6 has the three config choices, built in power supply and no phono stage.  

If I do the math right, a pre-assembled Octal 6 + a Phono 4 will cost $200 more than an Ultra 4m + a PS 1m power supply.  What would be gained for the ~33% price differential?  Re the Ultra 4, is there a significant benefit to having the power supply separate from the rest of the preamp?

Many thanks.

Wo

Hello Wocius,

I own both the Octal 6 and Ultra 4, so allow me impart my personal impressions.  Both units are well built and are sonically detailed and relatively neutral.  However, the Octal is my mind preferable due to its triple topology and more refined sonic ability.  The phono in the Ultra is surprisingly detailed - esp considering the cost, but is not entirely quiet.  The Ultra has a seperate power supply not so much out of luxury but out of need.  If you're looking for only one preamp I'd recommend the Octal.  I wrote a bit more about this preamp here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=846

I hope this info will be of assistence to you.

~Michael~

Wocius

Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2003, 04:52 pm »
Thanks, Michael, for that reply and the thoughtful review in the Critics Circle -- they're very helpful.  I guess I'd be inclined, then, to go Octal now and add a phono stage when I get a turntable.

Wo

akshobhyavajra

Re: Thanks!
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2003, 07:15 pm »
Quote from: Wocius
Thanks, Michael, for that reply and the thoughtful review in the Critics Circle -- they're very helpful.  I guess I'd be inclined, then, to go Octal now and add a phono stage when I get a turntable.

Wo

Yeah -  I like the Octal a lot - I would also request the new Alps upgrades for a few bucks more....  let us know how it all turns out...

Good luck,

~Michael~