Veracity ST vs Song3-A

maplemusic

Veracity ST vs Song3-A
« on: 11 Nov 2018, 03:46 pm »
Hi Jim or others,

I am familiar with your veracity ST and SS8s. I never heard your song 3 design and just wondering how the veracity ST compares with Song 3 A?. Some of the things I see are 3 way, acuton mid range for songg3 but it’s “only one” 7.5 woofer vs TL design, 2 way with seas drivers in Veracity ST. How different are the RAAL tweeters in both.

Can you shed some light on any particular application one shines over the other? Music vs movies, jazz vs hard rock etc...

R Swerdlow

Re: Veracity ST vs Song3-A
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2018, 05:47 pm »
I am familiar with your veracity ST and SS8s. I never heard your song 3 design and just wondering how the veracity ST compares with Song 3 A?. Some of the things I see are 3 way, acuton mid range for songg3 but it’s “only one” 7.5 woofer vs TL design, 2 way with seas drivers in Veracity ST. How different are the RAAL tweeters in both.
I think both speakers have a similar flavor.  The MTM Veracity ST (VST) has a somewhat different 'presentation' than the 3-way Song3-A.  I can notice the difference if I try to listen for it, but it's not enough of a difference to make me prefer one design over the other.  I find it hard to describe in words.

If you've heard the SS8, you've already heard the same Accuton 4" mid range as in the Song3-A.  Clear and accurate.  The Song3-A does have a closed back for the mid driver, unlike the open back of the SS8 that allows you to vary the stuffing and closure as you wish.

The ribbon tweeters in the Song3-A and VST are both made by RAAL.  The  mid-tweeter crossover frequency is higher in the 3-way Song3-A than the mid woofer-tweeter crossover in the 2-way VST.  This allows for a less robust & expensive tweeter in the 3-way than in the 2-way.  I own the VST, and I've heard the Song3.  I'm not aware of any differences in tweeter sounds.

The single 7½" woofer of the Song3 does a very good job with bass.  Because it's a 3-way design, that woofer doesn't have to perform well in the mid ranges, as the W16 drivers must do in the VST.  The major difference between these 2 speakers is in cabinet width.  The VST is narrower than the Song3.  The VST requires a transmission line cabinet to perform well at low frequencies.  The Song3 has a ported design, but I'm not sure I could readily hear a difference in their bass performance.  Remember that those bass frequencies vary greatly in different rooms and with different locations within the same room.
Can you shed some light on any particular application one shines over the other? Music vs movies, jazz vs hard rock etc...
I can't really help with that.  I'm of the opinion that Salk speakers shine at most all music.  In comparison, doing well with movie sound tracks is much easier than with music.  All the (non-Salk) speakers I've heard that are said to be 'good for movies', don't sound good at all to me.

I hope that helps.

maplemusic

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2018, 12:19 am »
Thanks a lot. Your reply was very thorough.

I wish the web page tries to explain what some one can expect as they go up in the price.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2018, 05:16 pm »
Call Jim , the owner to discuss your needs and questions .