Tempest mod questions

Eric D

Tempest mod questions
« on: 17 Jun 2003, 10:22 pm »
I've got a wait period before finalizing my Tempest order, based on having to schedule an amp refurb/upgrade.  But I'm trying to get my head around the Tempest modification permutations.  I also have an operational function question that might help making the mod decisions as well.

First, do I understand these mod options correctly:
    Remote for volume control (simple - think I understand)

2nd output: placed alongside the current output.  Does not replace the tape out.  Reminder to others that were thinking of using the tape out as a second output: the output level is not attenuation adjusted.

HT bypass
      a. on the Phono input

b. on one of the other inputs. (Aux, CD, or Tuner.)

c.  replace the tape loop?
      [/list:u][/list:u]

Function Question:  How does the tape loop function?   Does the output of the Select knob always go to the tape out, or is that output only function when Tape monitor is selected.  

I've been thinking of putting the HT bypass on the Aux (I like the location on the select knob so it doesn't get confused); but now I'm thinking of using the tape loop.  Am I right that then I could use the tape out to route any 2-channel input to the AVR (or future pre/pro) for use in 5 or 7-channel modes?  This is sounding better and better.  Guess if I want to tape, then I just do it off of the AVR.

Thanks for the help.

Eduardo AAVM

Tempest mod questions
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2003, 03:52 pm »
With so much mods that should be called Tempest Extreme...

By now I only want to change the knobs on my "old" Tempest, new ones liked me very much...

Mmm, a second output yes it would be very useful too...

Eric D

Tempest mod questions
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2003, 08:32 pm »
Quote from: Eduardo AAVM
Mmm, a second output yes it would be very useful too...

What use would you make of the second output?

And could you help me with my function question - I can't find the description anywhere and I forgot to check this out when I had the opportunity.  Does the output of the Select knob always goes to the Tape Out, or it is only active when the Tape Monitor is selected?

Thanks,

Eduardo AAVM

Tempest mod questions
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2003, 08:45 pm »
In my case I coulkd use one Tempest and two different amplifiers for demoing purposes.

Maybe one output for the AV system and one for the stero system.

A sub ?

Many alternatives...

randog

Tempest mod questions
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2003, 07:32 pm »
I keep meaning to send my Tempest back to Klaus for the same mod. If you check the archives, I've got a number of threads I initiated on it. My final decision is to replace the tape loop with HT bypass and change the tape out to a 2nd set of line-level outputs, the latter being for future upgrade possibilities where the tape out would be pretty useless to me after the HT bypass mod.

You bring up a question I'm also pondering and I saw a recent post by Klaus so maybe we can drag him in here for an answer: in the above scenario for HT bypass, would we just switch the Tempest to 'TAPE' on the 2nd selector knob and leave the first selector knob wherever it happens to be (phono, CD, etc)? That would be greatly convenient!

My HT Receiver needs to go back to Outlaw for an overheating issue (I bought it used <sigh>) so I'm not prepared to be without anything while I wait. I'd rather send in the Tempest after the Outlaw comes back.

Randog

Eric D

Tempest mod questions
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2003, 08:35 pm »
Sorry for not keeping up with this thread earlier - vacation (twill make a note in Klaus's thread in a minute), sick, and work.  I finally "settled" (guess its not a compromise...) on the following:

1. Remote

2. HT Bypass on the Tape Monitor, for the reasons described by Randog.  I like the operation separate from the normal inputs.  It's easier to keep the HT loop on another switch from the normal inputs, both in my thought and in trying to explain to another person.  The tape out to provide signal from any input on the two-channel pre to the AVR (here's blasphemy for some - I could process the CD player into 5-channel sound).  And I find a certain symmetry in the loop out and loop in being unity gain which appeals to my sense of elegance in simplicity.

3. Will want the second set of outputs (lowest priority).  Not using it in my current config, but it would allow some experimentation with subs in different configurations then just off a crossover (either the AVR/HT Pre or an external crossover), or perhaps a second amp/speaker set (although some other control may be required to match levels).

Edward, I was thinking about it and I think I prefer the name "Tempest HT." over "Tempest Extreme." :) (or perhaps Tempest HT2?") I think it better fits their naming schema (i.e., "Stratos HT3") and describes what the changes really are.

Randog, whaddya think?  Have you sent yours in yet?

So, it's sorta ordered - in the queue, but no money has exchanged hands yet.  Now I have to play the patience-game.  Heavy business and summer vacations mean this is going to take a while.

enjoy,